A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.


P

The Great War Project navigation

Overview   A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   R   S   T   W

 

Arthur Lloyd Parry

  • 49786, Private, 1st Cheshire Regiment
  • Died of wounds, 17 April 1917, aged 22
  • Buried at Villers Station Cemetery, Villers-au-Bois, France
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)

Arthur Lloyd Parry, the son of Robert Parry and his wife Dorothy Parry (née Lloyd), was born in Llandudno on 23 November 1893. In 1901, the family lived at 11 Mostyn Street, Llandudno; Robert Parry being described as a butcher. In 1905, Arthur was admitted to John Bright County Grammar School having previously attended Lloyd Street School. Robert Parry died in 1909 and the Census for 1911 records Dorothy and three of her children including Arthur living at “Melrose”, St. Mary’s Road; Arthur was recorded as still being at school.

On 1 December 1914, Arthur Parry volunteered at Wrexham to join the Denbighshire Yeomanry (Hussars) (Reserve Regiment [the 2/1st]), (Territorial Force). His regimental number was 1067. The battalion served in Northumberland. When Arthur volunteered, he signed an agreement to subject himself liable to serve in any place outside the United Kingdom in the event of national emergency. However, this liability only applied for service within his own unit, or part of his unit but with the passing of the Military Service Act in 1916 (which introduced conscription), this condition was withdrawn. Consequently, whilst retaining his cavalry rate of pay, Arthur was “dismounted” (converted to infantry) and he disembarked at Rouen on 23 September 1916. He was transferred to the 4th (Territorial Force) Battalion of the Cheshire Regiment then and posted to the 1st Battalion on 3 October 1916 with a regimental number of 49786, joining the 1st Battalion two days later.

Arthur Lloyd Parry was wounded in action on a date unknown and died of those wounds on 17 April 1917 at No 4 Canadian Field ambulance at Villers-au-Bois. He was buried at Villers Station Cemetery, Villers-au-Bois, France. His battalion had recently engaged in combat at Givenchy-en-Gohelle during the Battle of Arras.

 

David Parry

  • 20441, Private, 14th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 19 March 1916, aged 20
  • Buried at Le Touret Military Cemetery, Richebourg-L’avoue, France
  • CWGC registered (Son of Mr and Mrs John Parry, of Llandudno)

David Parry, the son of a farm labourer, John Parry and his wife Jane, was born in Rhyl on 10 June 1895. In 1901, the family resided at “Pant-y-Fron”, Llanrhos. David had two elder brothers, John (Jack) and Hugh. In 1902, the family moved to 29 Alexandra Road Llandudno and both David and Hugh Parry were transferred to Lloyd Street School. Both boys were transferred again in 1905 when the new Dyffryn Road School opened. David left school in July 1909. In 1911, the family lived at “Warkley”, Bryniau Road, Llandudno, David being employed as a butcher’s assistant.

David Parry enlisted into the Royal Welsh Fusiliers at Llandudno in December 1914. He was posted to the 14th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers which had formed at Llandudno on 2 November 1914. His regimental number was 20441. The battalion moved to Winchester for further training in August 1915 and disembarked at Le Havre on 2 December 1915.

David Parry was killed in action on 19 March 1916 near Festubert aged 20. He is buried at Le Touret Military Cemetery. Robert Jones (qv) of the same battalion was also killed on this day and both were laid to rest by Padré H Jones of Llandudno.

The Commonwealth War Grave Commission lists the family’s address after the war as “Hill View Villa”, Trinity Square, Llandudno.

 

Emrys Ceredig Phillips

  • 31924, Private, 19th Welsh Regiment
  • Killed in Action, 19 June 1917, aged 23
  • Buried at Bard Cottage Cemetery, Belgium
  • CWGC registered (Son of the Rev. William Phillips and Elizabeth Phillips, of The Sailors’ Rest, Holyhead. Born at Harlech, Merioneth)
  • Penrhynside casualty

Emrys Ceredig Phillips was the son of a Congregational Minister, the Rev William Phillips and his wife Jane Catherine Phillips (formerly Davies, née Richards). Emrys was born at Harlech in 1893, the family living at “Castle Villa”. William Phillips took up an appointment at Betws yn Rhos before accepting a ministry at Penrhynside in 1897. In 1901, the family lived at 1 Woodbine Terrace. Emrys had an elder sister Annie, a younger brother Delwyn, and a stepsister Cassie Davies. Jane Phillips died in 1904 and William Phillips married Elizabeth Roberts the following year. The family was still living at Penrhynside in 1911; Emrys was employed as a plumber’s apprentice.

Giving his residence as Holyhead, Emrys Phillips joined the army at Liverpool. His only known service number was 31924 in the Welsh Regiment. The number was issued towards the end of 1915. Emrys joined a Pioneer Battalion, the 19th (Service) Battalion which had formed at Colwyn Bay in February 1919, landing at Le Havre with the 38th (Welsh) Division in December 1915. (Emrys must have disembarked in 1916 as he was not in receipt of the 1915 Star). The division received a mauling at the Battle of Mametz Wood in July 1916 and it was withdrawn to the Ypres Salient to be reformed. Little is known about Emrys Phillips’ war though there survives a record of him being discharged from No 4 Stationary Hospital at St, Omer to his battalion on 26 September 1916.

On 19 June 1917, the battalion occupied billets on the east bank of the Canal de L’yser, just north of Ypres. The war diary records that the casualties for the day were three killed and seven wounded. The three men killed, including Emrys Ceredig Phillips aged 23, were buried in adjoining graves at Bard Cottage Cemetery, on the other side of the canal.

NOTE

William Phillips took up the position of Missioner at the Port of Holyhead in March 1917. This explains his Holyhead address as registered with the CWGC but does not explain Emrys’ residence as Holyhead when he joined up in 1915. Emrys is not on the Holyhead War Memorial.

 

Albert William Poole MM

  • 242700, Private, 3rd Prince of Wales’ Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment)
  • Died of illness after discharge, 11 October 1919, aged 31
  • Buried at the Great Orme’s Head Cemetery, Llandudno
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)

Albert William Poole was born at Little Sutton on the Wirral to George P Poole, a gas engineer, and his wife Mary Magness Poole (née Griffiths) on 23 September 1888. In 1891, the family lived at “The Gaswork’s Manager’s House”, Little Sutton; Albert had three elder siblings: Andrew, Sarah and Daniel. Mary Poole died in 1892 and George Poole married Martha Ann Littler in 1896. In 1901, Albert lived with his father and stepmother at the Watergate Inn in Chester where his father was the publican. On 5 January 1910, Albert married Ethel Jane Aikman at St. George’s Parish Church, Llandudno. He gave his address as 3 St. George’s Place. Their child Mary Amelia was born on 15 October 1910. In 1911, the family lived at “Pengwern Cottage”, Vardre Lane, Llandudno; Albert was described as a driver for a laundry.

Albert Poole was medically examined at the Llandudno recruiting office on 1 December 1915 but was rejected. He attempted to join the army four or five times and was finally accepted on 24 October 1916 at Wrexham. He was 4 foot 10½ inches tall and weighed 120 pounds. Albert was posted to a second line Territorial Force infantry battalion, the 2/5th South Lancashire Regiment, then at Blackdown, Hampshire with a regimental number of 6549, later 242700.

In 1916, the soldiers in the second-line Territorial Force battalions were deemed as eligible for Imperial Service and some battalions, less their soldiers who could not serve overseas, were slated to join the front line. Consequently, the 2/5th South Lancs, including Albert Poole, disembarked at Boulogne in February 1917. According to his own testimony, Albert repeatedly reported sick and was assigned to sanitation duties. According to the war diary, on the night of the 29/30 December 1917, the 2/5th South Lancs was holding the line at Houlthulst, a few miles to the north of Ypres in Belgium: “The BOCHE put up a very heavy barrage along our whole front.” A local Llandudno newspaper later reporting the action stated that it took place on the following night and that Albert Poole had been awarded the Military Medal for his conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty for repeatedly carrying messages through an intense barrage of German fire.

News reached the 2/5th South Lancs on 27 January 1918 that it was to be disbanded, its soldiers being used to reinforce other battalions. It was while the battalion was being disbanded near Armentieres when, on 6 February 1918, Albert was admitted to No 54 Casualty Clearing Station at Merville suffering from appendicitis. After an operation, he was evacuated initially to No 35 General Hospital at Calais, then York Place Military Hospital at Brighton and later Preston Military Hospital. Whilst hospitalised, he was diagnosed as having aortic stenosis and he stated that as a youth, “… I had not been able to run as the other boys” and could not recall ever having had any rheumatic disease. For administrative purposes, Albert had been posted to the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion on 18 March 1918 and the following day, he had been gazetted as having received the Military Medal. He was posted to the Western Command Depot, a convalescent camp with 5000 beds, at Heaton Park on 6 May 1918. On 18 May 1918, he was posted back to the 3rd South Lancs at Barrow in Furness. On 6 June 1918, Albert had a medical board at Barrow, found to be medically unfit and recommended for discharge. He was formerly discharged on 18 August 1918 with a pension and awarded a Silver War Badge number 436584.

Albert William Poole died on 11 October 1919 aged 31 at “Berkeley Cottage” of endocarditis and convulsions. He was buried at the Great Orme’s Head Cemetery, his headstone paid for by public subscription.

Ethel Poole lived with her daughter Mary at Deganwy in 1939. Ethel died in 1962 and shares her husband’s grave.

 

George Edward Powell

  • 21168, Private, 8th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 25 January 1917, aged 22
  • No known grave (Basra Memorial)
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)
  • Deganwy casualty

George Edward Powell, the only child of a joiner Rees Edward Powell and his Irish wife Louisa Powell (formerly Ball) was born at Llandudno on 9 October 1894. In 1901, the family lived at Back 63 Mostyn Street, Llandudno. In April 1904, George transferred from St. George’s National School to Deganwy National School – his new address was given as 12 Marl View Terrace, Deganwy. He transferred to Llandudno Junction School in July 1907. In 1911, the family still lived at Deganwy and George was recorded as being an apprentice bricklayer.

George Powell enlisted at Llandudno and his regimental number in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers was 21168. His army record no longer survives though soldiers with close numbers enlisted in January 1915, joining the 14th (Service) Battalion which was then forming at Llandudno. Although George may have joined the 14th RWF, his only recorded battalion was the 8th RWF. The 8th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers was the first of the regiment’s “New Army” battalions and had formed at Wrexham in 1914 as part of K1; it moved to the Mediterranean in July 1915, subsequently serving in Gallipoli, Egypt and Mesopotamia. When George was posted to the 8th RWF is unknown. The 8th RWF came under the orders of the 40th Brigade of the 13th (Western) Division which between December 1916 and February 1917 was engaged in the Battle of Kut al Amara on the River Tigris. An action to the capture of the Hai Salient began on 25 January.

Twenty-eight soldiers of the 8th RWF died on that day and all were either buried at Amara War Cemetery or are commemorated on the Basra Memorial. One of the dead who has no known grave was George Edward Powell aged 22.

George left his effects to Florence M Yeoward. She married William R Williams in 1920.

NOTE

In 1998, the Basra Memorial was removed by the Saddam Hussein government and completely re-erected 20 miles up the road to Nasiriyah. The memorial is in a poor state of repair and names are additionally commemorated on the CWGC’s Iraq Roll of Honour.

 

Horace Illes Powell

  • 13813, Private, 4th Coldstream Guards
  • Killed in action, 30 March 1916, aged 25
  • Menin Road South Military Cemetery, Ypres, Belgium
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)
  • Llandudno casualty
    • Not on the Llandudno’s Roll of Honour
    • Not on the Llandudno War Memorial
    • Not in the Memorial Chapel, of Holy Trinity Church

Horace Illes Powell, the son of a gas fitter, Henry Seth Powell and his wife, Mary Ann Powell (née Illes), was born in Llandudno on 6 August 1890. The following year, the family lived at 10 Nevill Terrace. In October 1895, Horace was admitted to St. George’s National School. In 1901, the family still lived at Nevill Crescent. Horace had two older brothers recorded: William and George; a younger brother Thomas; and two sisters: Dorris and Jane. Horace left school in February 1906 and by 1911 was working in Nottingham as a draper’s assistant at the firm of Robert Pinder of 4-7 South Parade. Robert was one of 27 persons who lodged at this address. Pinder’s had a branch at Holderness Road in Hull and it is possible that Horace was transferred to this branch.

In November 1914, Horace enlisted at Hull into the Coldstream Guards. His regimental number was 13813. At Caterham, he joined the 4th (Reserve) Battalion that had formed at Windsor in August 1914. The bulk of the battalion, 80% being new recruits, was designated as the Pioneer Battalion in July 1915. The Pioneer Battalion was renamed as the 4th Battalion (Pioneers), sailing from Southampton to Le Havre on 15 August 1915.

On 30 March 1916, the battalion was at Brandhoek near Ypres. According to the war diary, Horace’s platoon was employed carrying stores as heavy shelling prevented any manual work. Another account states that the platoon was employed repairing a trench. In any event, Horace was hit by a shell and died instantly aged 25. He is buried at Menin Road South Military Cemetery.

NOTE

Henry Seth Powell died in 1915 and his widow, Mary Ann Powell received Horace’s effects in 1916 and his war gratuity in 1919. Although Horace had moved on to Nottingham, and probably Hull, at the beginning of the Great War, his parents remained Llandudno residents which makes Horace’s exclusion from the town’s memorials unusual. Since no local memorial to Horace has yet been discovered anywhere, it is fortunate that he is still remembered by the CWGC.

 

John Edward Pritchard

  • 5806, Private, 10th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 13 November 1916, aged 21
  • No known grave (Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France)
  • CWGC registered (Son of George and Elizabeth Pritchard, of Llewelyn Chambers, Llandudno)
  • Cousin of Samuel Christopher Boyce

John Edward Pritchard, the son of a plumber, George William Pritchard and Elizabeth Pritchard (née Jones), was born in Llandudno on 22 October 1895. George William Pritchard was the brother of Annie Boyce, the mother of Samuel Christopher Boyce (qv). When John was baptised on 28 January 1896, the family’s home was “The Ives”, Church Walks. In 1901, the family of nine lived at 2 Pen-y-Buarth, Great Orme, George Pritchard described as a plasterer and painter and John Edward as at school. In 1902, John transferred from St. Beuno’s School to St. George’s National School which he left in 1909. Elizabeth Pritchard died in 1910 and the Census for the following year records the widowed George Pritchard with six of his children living at the same address; John Edward is described as a butcher’s apprentice.

Now described as a boatman, John Edward joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers on 1 September 1914. Although the press at the time indicated that he had joined “Kitchener’s New Army”, his service record indicates that he originally joined as a special reservist in the Army Reserve for six years’ service. A given age of 18 years and 11 months appears to have been amended to 19 years and 11 months – the former age was the correct one. He gave his father, George Pritchard of 5 Wyddfryd Road, Great Orme’s Head as his next of kin. He joined at Llandudno, was given the regimental number of 5806 and initially sent to the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion at Wrexham.

On 24 October 1914, John was posted to the 12th Battalion RWF. At that time the 12th RWF was a Service Battalion forming at Wrexham, part of Kitchener’s 4th New Army (K4) and it moved to Tenby in February 1915. Because of the need to reinforce existing Battalions, K4 was broken up in April 1915 and its battalions became Reserve Battalions, recruiting and training men and subalterns for the front-line battalions. The 12th (Reserve) Battalion moved to Kinmel Park on 10 April 1915.

Almost a year later, at the end of March 1916, John Edward Pritchard disembarked in France, initially headed for the 25th Infantry Base Depot at Étaples. He was posted to the 10th (Service) Battalion RWF, joining it in April 1916. He was killed in action on 13 November 1916, aged 21, probably during an attack on Serre whilst advancing through waist-deep mud against uncut German wire; the battalion suffered 289 casualties that day. He has no known grave.

 

Robert William Pritchard

See Robert William Williams

 

William Henry Pritchard

  • 25519, Private, 17th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 15 April 1916, aged 21
  • Buried at Royal Irish Rifles Graveyard, Laventie, France
  • CWGC registered (Son of Mr W Pritchard, of 11 Alexandra Rd, Llandudno)

William Henry Pritchard was born in Llandudno in 1895. He was the son and first born of William Henry Pritchard and Annie Pritchard (née Paynter) who in 1901 lived at 16 Council Street, Llandudno. William (senior) was a coach builder. When the 1901 Census was taken, William (junior) was registered at the home of his maternal grandparents at Llaneilian near Amlwch on Anglesey. In 1911, the family was living at 1 Clarence Street, Craig-y-Don though William (junior) recorded as “Willie H”, was living with his grandparents again and described as their adopted son. The 1911 Census records four siblings living in Llandudno: John, Lydia, George and a new-born baby.

William joined the 17th Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers on 2 March 1915 at Llandudno. His regimental number was 25519. He gave his age as 20 years and 0 months. His address was 11 Alexandra Road, Llandudno and his occupation was tailoring. He gave his father of the same address as his next of kin.

The 17th (Service) Battalion (2nd North Wales) had formed at Llandudno on 2 February 1915. After training, the battalion left Winchester on 4 December 1915 and landed at Le Havre on the following day. William was one of five casualties sustained (one dead, four wounded) on 15 April 1916 when the battalion was in the trenches near Estaires, France. He was 21 years of age. He was buried at the nearby Royal Irish Rifles Graveyard, Laventie.

Comments are closed.