H

The Great War Project navigation

Overview   A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   R   S   T   W

 

William Allen Hague

  • 18988, Private, 16th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Later 570269, Labour Corps
  • Died of illness, 20 February 1919, aged 35
  • Buried at Llanrhos Churchyard
  • CWGC registered (Son of Anderson Hague RI, and Sarah Hague. Born at Deganwy, Carnarvonshire)
  • Deganwy casualty

William Allen Hague was born at Tywyn, Deganwy in 1884. He was the son of the landscape artist of the Manchester School, Joshua Anderson Hague and his wife Sarah Hague (née Henshall). In 1891, the family lived at “Vardre”, Deganwy; William was recorded with five siblings: Tom, Anderson, Jessie (Jessica), Dora and Arthur. William was recorded at the same address in 1901 and 1911 – in the latter his occupation is not given.

William Hague enlisted into the Royal Welsh Fusiliers at the beginning of December 1914. With the regimental number of 18988, he joined the 16th (Service) Battalion that had formed in Llandudno in November 1914, coming under the orders of the 113th Brigade of the 38th (Welsh) Division. The division moved to Winchester in August 1915. William disembarked with his battalion in France on 2 December 1915.  Between 7 and 12 July 1916, the 38th (Welsh) Division received a severe mauling at the Battle of Mametz Wood and, possibly as a consequence, on 28 July 1916, William was recorded at 11 Casualty Clearing Station suffering from “debility”. Whether William made it back to the trenches is unknown, but he was ultimately declared unfit for front-line service. In June 1918, it was decided to transfer non-combative soldiers nominally on the strength of infantry regiments to the Labour Corps which had formed in February 1917. William’s new service number was 570269 which indicates that he was transferred around mid-July 1918.

William Allen Hague died of pneumonia on 20 February 1919 aged 35 at his home. He was buried at Llanrhos Churchyard in his parents’ grave, his parents having died in 1916.

 

Samuel Edward Hall

  • 14530, Private, 11th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 18 September 1918, aged 23
  • Buried at Doiran Military Cemetery, Greece
  • CWGC registered (Son of Joseph and Jane Hall, of 2 Mount Pleasant, Penrhynside, Llandudno)
  • Penrhynside casualty

Samuel Edward Hall, the son of Joseph Hall and his wife Jane Hall (née Davies), was born in Llanrwst in 1895. In 1901, Joseph Hall was employed as a stonemason and the family of five, Joseph, Jane, Samuel, William and Ephraim lived at 13 Quarry Cottages, Penrhynside. By 1911, the family had been joined by Christina and Joseph and it lived at 2 Mount Pleasant, Penrhynside, Samuel being employed in a farm dairy.

Samuel Hall’s attested at Llandudno on or around 7 September 1914 and joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers at its depot at Wrexham. He was posted to the 11th (Service) Battalion which formed at Wrexham on 18 October as part of Kitchener’s Third New Army (K3). Samuel’s regimental number was 14530. The 11th RWF became under the orders of the 67th Brigade in the 22nd Division and moved into to Seaford, St. Leonard’s, Seaford (again) and Aldershot (June 1915). The division moved to France in September 1915, all units being concentrated near Flesselles. However, instead of being moved to the Western Front, the division was moved by train to Marseilles where it embarked for Salonika, concentrating there in November 1915.

Samuel Hall fought on the Macedonian Front against Bulgarian forces throughout 1916 and 1917. On 18 September 1918, Samuel was killed either in or consequent to an engagement which was later known as the 3rd Battle of Doiran in, what was then, part of Serbia, now Northern Macedonia. Surviving army records state that Samuel was killed in action whilst the Commonwealth War Grave Commission record indicates that he died of wounds. He was aged 23. He was buried at Doiran Military Cemetery in Greece.

 

Ronald Millie Hamilton

  • Second Lieutenant, 5th Cheshire Regiment (Territorial Force) attached 16th
  • Accidentally killed, 3 June 1917, aged 27
  • Buried at Heudicourt Community Cemetery Extension, France
  • CWGC registered (Son of Dr and Mrs Hamilton, of Deganwy, Llandudno Junction, Carnarvonshire; husband of Mrs D S Mould [formerly Hamilton], of South Africa)
  • Deganwy casualty

Ronald Millie Hamilton was born in Chester on 9 February 1890. He was the son of a surgeon, Alexander Hamilton, and his second wife Beatrice Emily Sarah Hamilton (née Thompson). In 1891, the family, which lived at 16 Whitefriars, Chester, was composed of Alexander and Beatrice Hamilton; three sons from Alexander’s first marriage: Alexander George, Archibald and Norman; and three sons from his present marriage: Alexander Keith, Ronald and Melville. The Alexanders employed five servants, including two nurses. The family had had a second home in Deganwy since around 1884. In 1901, joined by a daughter Elsie, the family still lived in Chester. “Ronnie”, as he was known, was educated at Arnold House School, Chester and joined the staff of Parr’s Bank at Chester in April 1905, remaining there until November 1912 when he was transferred to the bank’s branch at Rhyl.

Ronald Hamilton enlisted as a private into the 17th Battalion (Liverpool Pals), the King’s (Liverpool Regiment) in September 1914 with a regimental number of 15655. He landed in France on 7 November 1915. He was invalided home in March 1916 suffering from trench foot and blood poisoning. Ronald was commissioned on 23 November 1916 as a second lieutenant in the Cheshire Regiment’s Territorial Force. On 11 January 1917, Ronald Hamilton married Doris Sanderson Moore at St. Oswald’s Church, Chester. He returned to the Western Front but instead of being posted to the 1/5th Chesters, now the Pioneer Battalion of the 56th (London) Division, he was attached to the 16th (Service) Battalion at Flesselles, near Amiens, on 16 February 1917.

Ronald Hamilton accidentally shot himself with his revolver on 3 June 1917 aged 27. The battalion’s war diary records that he had been appointed as the battalion’s acting adjutant the previous day. The battalion at the time was billeted at Templeux-la-Fosse, some eight miles behind the front line. He was buried at Heudicourt Community Cemetery Extension.

Doris Hamilton sailed to Bombay on 30 September 1921 and married George Brown Mould on 21 October. They later lived in South Africa.

 

James Cowley Harris

  • 12398, Private, 2nd Cheshire Regiment
  • Killed in action, 30 April 1915, aged 41
  • No known grave (Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium)
  • CWGC registered (Brother of Mr RG Harris, of 27 Alexandra Rd, Llandudno, Caernarvonshire)

James Cowley Harris was born in Liverpool on 30 March 1874 to Samuel Barry and Nessie Harris (née Cowley). Samuel Harris was a baker and he had married Nessie, his second wife, in October 1872. In 1881, the family was still living in Liverpool but in 1891, its address was 6 St. George’s Place, Back Madoc Street, Llandudno. Samuel was employed as a baker, Nessie as a lodging-house keeper, James as a baker and his brother Robert as a blacksmith. Samuel Harris died in 1892 and Nessie Harris died in 1898.

On 11 November 1893, James Harris joined the Cheshire Regiment at Chester for an engagement of seven years with the colours and five years with the reserve. On attesting, he claimed to be a member of the Militia, namely the 2nd Volunteer Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. His regimental number with the Cheshire Regiment was 4440. He served for periods with both the 1st and 2nd Battalions at home and in India. He extended his engagement and rose to the rank of corporal but was reduced to the ranks in 1907 for being absent without leave. The date of his termination of service in his record is unreadable though he was granted a small pension in 1912.

On 9 January 1915, James Harris re-enlisted into the 3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion of the regiment at Chester. His new regimental number was 12398. He gave his address as 3 Prospect Terrace, Great Orme, Llandudno, and his trade as a baker. He named his brother Robert of the same address as next-of-kin. He gave his age as 39 years and 10 months though in fact he was one year older. He was posted to the 2nd Battalion on 6 March 1915. The battalion had previously returned from India on the outbreak of the war, landing at Le Havre on 17 January 1915.

James Harris was posted as missing in action and has no known grave. For administrative purposes, his date of death is given as 30 April 1915. This date corresponds with the Second Battle of Ypres when the battalion was in the trenches at Zonnebeke. During the engagement, the battalion suffered 16 killed, 83 wounded and 23 missing.

 

Robert Harris

  • 20454, Private, 14th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action 1 or 2 September 1917, aged 27
  • No known grave (Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgum)
  • CWGC registered (Son of Robert George and Annie Harris, of 10 Mount Pleasant, Penrhynside, Llandudno)
  • Penrhynside casualty

Robert Harris was born in Llandudno in 1890. He was the son of Robert George Harris, a fishmonger, and his wife Annie Harris (née Williams). In the following year, the family of three was recorded as living at 2 Pant-y-wennol. In 1901, Robert had been joined by his siblings: William, George, Elias, Ann Ellen, Thomas and Adelaide V, the family now living at 1 Arfon Terrace, Penrhynside; Robert George Harris was described as a painter and house decorator. By 1911, Robert had another five siblings: Samuel, Hannah, Myfanwy, Hugh and Albert. The 12 children (another two had died in infancy) lived with their parents at 10 Mount Pleasant, Penrhynside – Robert was employed as a general labourer.

Unfortunately, Robert Harris’ service record no longer exists though it is recorded that he served in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers with a regimental number of 20454. Fortuitously, the record of a soldier in the RWF with the previous number, 20453, does exist. Private Thomas Jones joined on 11 December 1914 at Llandudno and his address was 1 Mount Pleasant, Penrhynside. It appears likely that the two young men joined up together. Both were posted to the 14th (Service) Battalion of the RWF which was forming at Llandudno at the time, eventually coming under the orders of the 38th (Welsh) Division. Both Robert Harris and Thomas Jones disembarked in France on 1 December 1915. On three occasions whilst serving with the British Expeditionary Force, Robert Harris was posted to the Infantry Base Depot and was attached for a while to GHQ 3rd Echelon (otherwise known as the Adjutant-General’s Office at the Base) which was at Rouen. The implication is that Robert Harris had been wounded or taken ill and was employed for a time on light duties. This is confirmed for on a casualty list dated 4 September 1916, Robert Harris was listed as “Wounded”. It is possible that he received these injuries during the engagement at Mametz Wood between 7 and 12 July 1916 when the Welsh Division lost 4000 men killed or wounded.

According to Soldiers Died in the Great War and some army documents, Robert Harris was killed in action whilst serving with the 14th RWF on 2 September 1917. However, according to the battalion’s War Diary, there were no casualties on that day. Commonwealth War Grave commission records give Robert’s date of death as 1 September 1917 and it was on that day when the 14th RWF suffered a calamitous incident when, as a result of shelling followed by a fire, bombs exploded in its forward command post, burying many men. Some of those killed were never identified, including Hugh Owen Brockley Jones and (probably) Robert Richard Williams DCM, 15th RWF, (both qv). It appears that whilst the incident took place on 1 September, it was not until the following day that Robert Williams was declared as killed in action. Robert Harris, Hugh Jones and Robert Williams are all commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium.

 

William Alfred Hart

  • 20007, Serjeant, 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 3 May 1918, aged 29
  • Buried at Granezza British Cemetery, Italy
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)
  • Llandudno casualty
    • Not on Llandudno’s Roll of Honour
    • Not on Llandudno War Memorial
    • Named in Memorial Chapel of Holy Trinity Church

William Alfred Hart was the second son of Frederick Hart and his wife Isabella Hart (née Rush). He was born at Llandudno on 3 February 1889. His father was born in Dublin and he married his Birmingham-born wife in 1886 in Birmingham. The couple moved to Llandudno and their first son, Frederick George, was born in 1887. In 1891, the family lived at Min-y-don Cottage, 2 Abbey Road; Frederick Hart was described as a general labourer. From May 1892, William attended St. George’s National School, the family’s address being 2 Penmorfa. William Alfred left St. George’s School in November 1896 when the family moved to an address as yet unknown. However, he returned to St. George’s school in February 1901 and the family was recorded as living at 2 Fron Cottages, Cwlach Street, Frederick Hart senior being described as a luggage porter. William left school in December 1902. Frederick and William had several other siblings. These included George Henry, Isabella, John, Alfred, Albert Edward, Lillian and Ena.

William married Edith Evans in 1910. Their son, William Reginald Hart was born on 27 July 1910. The census for the following year records William, Edith and William Reginald Hart, living with William’s parents at 52 Alexandra Road, Llandudno; William was described as a furniture remover working on his own account. William and Edith had two more children: Alice Ierleane born on 13 June 1912 and Jessie born on 17 May 1914. According to the register of Lloyd Street School, the family’s address in 1913 was “Nottingham Cottage”, Bodafon Row. William’s mother, Isabella Hart, died later that year.

Unfortunately, William Alfred Hart’s service record no longer exists. From the scraps of evidence that remain, it appears probable that William Hart had served in the army for four years before the Great War. This may have been with the Territorial Force, formed in 1908, in which the normal period of engagement was for four years. In any event, any prior engagement would have terminated because he was issued the regimental number of 20007 when he volunteered at Llandudno into the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in early November 1914. The number 20007 was of a batch issued to the 14th (Service) Battalion which was forming at Llandudno at the time. Unlike his companions and probably because of his previous service experience, William Hart did not land with the 14th RWF in France in December 1915 but was promoted and posted to a home service battalion, possibly the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion RWF. He embarked in France on 25 February 1917 and though on the strength of the 3rd RWF, it appears that he was attached directly from the infantry base depot to Hood Battalion of the 63rd (Royal Naval) Division at Calais as its company sergeant major, his rank being acting warrant officer class II.

On 14 April 1917, William Hart was taken ill with influenza. Three days later he was transferred by No 149 Field Ambulance to 24 Canadian Casualty Station, Aubigny. After recovery on 17 July 1917, he was posted to No 5 Infantry Base Depot at Rouen and from there proceeded to the 1st RWF in his substantive rank of serjeant. He joined the battalion on 22 August at Blairville (about five miles south of Arras) in a draft of 65 other ranks. The 1st RWF had been in France and Belgium since October 1914 as a component of the 7th Division and it moved with that division to Italy in November 1917. The Italian campaign is little-known and documented. The 7th Division became part of XIV Corps which relieved Italian troops on the front between Asiago and Canove in March 1918.

William Alfred Hart was killed in action aged 29 on 3 May 1918 and was buried at Granezza British Cemetery. He is one of seven soldiers of the 1st RWF buried at that location and all but one were killed on 3 May 1918.

Edith Hart had left Llandudno in 1915; a school register records that she had left for Shrewsbury. An absent voter return for 1918 records the family living at 6 Spring Buildings, Nantwich. She married George H Robinson in 1920 and died in 1967. William Reginald Hart married Florence May Stockton in 1933 and the couple lived at Nantwich; they had nine children though one died in infancy; William Reginald Hart died in 1971. Alice Ierleane Hart married Alfred W Bull in 1934; the couple lived at Crewe and had two daughters. Alice Hart died in 1982. The fate of Jesse Hart is unknown though she is recorded as living in Crewe in 1939. Many descendants of William Alfred Hart still live in the Crewe/Nantwich area.

NOTE

Why William Hart is missing from the Llandudno Roll of Honour and the Llandudno War Memorial is unknown. Because he is named in Holy Trinity Church, then it seems possible that he had been missed off the initial list because his wife had left Llandudno in 1915.

 

James and William Harvey

  • Not local casualties
    • Memorials in St. Tudno’s Churchyard

The brothers were the sons of James Eugene Harvey and Mary Cooper Harvey (née Henderson). James Eugene Harvey was a timber merchant and JP.  The Harveys clearly enjoyed a close connection with Llandudno and in 1897, James Eugene’s sisters, described as “frequent visitors to the town,” presented a lychgate to St. Tudno’s Church in memory of their father (another James). In 1891, nine of the family were lodging at 3 Nevill Crescent, Llandudno. In 1901, the family lived at 97 Ullet Road, Liverpool.

James Harvey

  • Captain, 1/7th The King’s (Liverpool Regiment) (Territorial Force)
  • Killed in action, 16 May 1915, aged 27
  • No known grave (Le Touret Memorial, France)
  • CWGC registered (Son of James Eugene Harvey and Mary Cooper Harvey, of “Elmsdale”, Greenbank Drive, Liverpool)

James Harvey was born in Liverpool in 1888. He attended Rugby School and Oxford University and on 28 February 1907, received a commission in the 4th Volunteer Battalion of the King’s (Liverpool) Regiment. On 1 April 1908, the battalion became part of the newly formed Territorial Force, James being gazetted as a lieutenant. In 1911, he lived at the family home of “Elmsdale”, Greenbank Drive, Liverpool and worked in the family business as a wood salesman. On 13 May 1912, James was promoted to captain, his unit being the 7th Battalion KLR (Territorial Force). On the outbreak of war, the 7th KLR, split into the 1/7th and the 2/7th, the former consisting of those who were prepared serve abroad. The 1/7th, including Captain James Harvey, landed at Le Havre on 8 March 1915.

James Harvey was killed in action on 16 May 1915 at the Battle of Festubert aged 27. He has no known grave.

William Harvey

  • Second Lieutenant, 1st The King’s (Liverpool Regiment)
  • Killed in action, 25 September 1915, aged 23
  • Buried at Cambrin Military Cemetery, France
  • CWGC registered (Son of Mr JE and Mrs MC Harvey, of “Elmsdale”, Sefton Park, Liverpool)

William Harvey was born in Liverpool in 1892. He attended Rugby School and Cambridge University where he was a member of the Officer Training Corps. On the outbreak of war, William enlisted into the King’s (Liverpool) Regiment. On 17 November 1914, he received a commission as a second lieutenant in the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion. Meanwhile, on 13 August 1914, the 1st Battalion had landed at Le Havre and William was posted to it in a draft of reinforcements after his commission had been confirmed.

William Harvey was killed in action aged 23 on 25 September 1915, the first day of the Battle of Loos. He was buried at Cambrin Military Cemetery alongside 56 other officers and men of the 1st KLR who were killed on the same day.

 

George Reginald Hayward

  • 63877, Private, 27th Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps
  • Killed in action, 29 March 1917, aged 29
  • Buried at St. Nicolas British Cemetery, France
  • CWGC registered (Husband of Dorothy Hayward, of 4, Mount Pleasant, Deganwy, North Wales)
  • Deganwy casualty

George Reginald Hayward was registered and baptised as Reginald George Hayward. He was born at Northleach, Gloucestershire in 1887, the son of George Hayward, a carrier, and his wife Mary Ann Hayward (née Potter). In 1901, the family: George, Mary Ann, Reginald George, Rupert, Marjory and Aubrey, lived at West End, Northleach. In 1911, Reginald George, now a gardener at a private house, lived at “The Bryn”, Rathbone Terrace, Deganwy. In 1915, Reginald George married Dorothy Rosa Mabel Taylor, a former housemaid.

When he joined the army at the end of August 1915, Reginald Hayward was using his middle name of George. George Hayward enlisted into the Royal Army Medical Corps with a service number of 63877. His early army career is unknown, but he ultimately became a stretcher bearer in the 27th Field Ambulance, attached to the 9th (Scottish) Division.

On 26 March 1917, a party of bearers was employed on “special” work: clearing a trench railway line for the evacuation of wounded near St. Nicholas, just to the north of Arras. On 30 March 1917, George Hayward was killed in action by a shell wound to the chest whilst in October Trench. He was aged 29 and was buried at St. Nicolas British Cemetery.

 

John J Healey

  • 28679, Private, 22nd Welsh Regiment
  • Died of drowning, 23 November 1915, aged 25
  • Buried at the Great Orme’s Head Cemetery
  • CWGC registered (Son of Edward and Margaret Jane Healey, of 3 Robinson St, Stalybridge, Cheshire)
  • Not a local casualty
    • Buried at Great Orme’s Head Cemetery

John Healey was born on 22 September 1890 at Dukinfield, Cheshire. He was the son of a cotton spinner, Edward Healy, and his wife Margaret Jane (née Morris). The family lived in various addresses in Dukinfield and Stalybridge, John attending both St. John’s Church of England Primary School, Dukinfield and St. Peter’s School in Stalybridge. In 1911, the family was resident at 3 Robinson Street, Stalybridge; John was recorded as being employed as a cotton piecer, a precarious occupation under spinning mules often carried out by children which suggests that John Healey was of slight stature.

John Healey’s service record no longer exists but it is recorded that he enlisted into the Welsh Regiment at Stalybridge with a regimental number of 28679. Judging from the record of a soldier with a consecutive service number, it is likely that John Healey joined up in May 1915 into the 18th (Service) Battalion of the Welsh Regiment. The 18th WR was a Bantam Battalion that had formed at Cardiff in January 1915 before moving to Prees Heath in Shropshire. At the end of August 1915, both the 17th and 18th WR left Prees Heath for Aldershot but without their respective depot companies (including John Healey). These two depot companies were amalgamated to form the 22nd (Reserve) Battalion which moved to the Morfa Camp at Conwy in October 1915.

On 23 November 1915, John Healey and a companion, John Holding, were on guard duty near the Deganwy Ferry. Both were cut off on a sandbank by the incoming tide and were drowned. The body of John Healey was found on the West Shore on 2 January 1916. John Holding was found two days later at Blackpool. Verdicts of accidental death were recorded.

 

Basil Victor Bate Hewitson

  • 2949, Private, 1/6th South Staffordshire Regiment (Territorial Force)
  • Killed in action, 13 October 1915, aged 19
  • No known grave (Loos Memorial, France)
  • CWGC registered (Son of Thomas and Nellie Hewitson, of Kinmel House, Llandudno. Enlisted Aug 1914)

Basil Hewitson, the son of a schoolmaster, Thomas Hewitson, and his wife Ellen Ann (née Bate) was born in Bilston, Staffordshire on 16 June 1896. The In 1901, the family lived at Regent Street, Bilston, Basil having a sister Doris and a brother Hector (who died in 1906). His grandparents, John and Mary Bate, lived next door. By 1906, Ellen Hewitson and her sister Minnie Bate were the proprietors of Kinmel House, a boarding house on Mostyn Crescent, Llandudno. Living with his grandparents, Basil attended Fraser Street Council School from 1909, transferring in February 1911 to Wolverhampton Grammar School. After leaving school in December 1912, Basil became an engineer.

In September 1914, Basil Hewitson enlisted into the 1/6th Battalion of the South Staffordshire Regiment (Territorial Force) at Wolverhampton. His stated home was Birmingham and his regimental number was 2949. At that time, the 1/6th South Staffs was based at Wolverhampton but moved to Luton in November and then Bishops Stortford. The battalion landed at Le Havre on 3 March 1915.

Basil Hewitson was killed in action aged 19 on 13 October 1915 at the attack on the Hohenzollern Redoubt. He has no known grave. At the time of his death, he had been recommended to receive a commission with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers.

 

Edwin Hill

  • 22407, Sergeant, 20th The King’s (Liverpool Regiment) (4th Liverpool Pals)
  • Died of illness, 16 November 1917, aged 30
  • Buried at Llanrhos Churchyard
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)
  • Llanrhos casualty
  • Brother-in-law of Leonard Astley Bowker

Edwin Hill was born at Bootle on 23 September 1887. He was the son of John William Hill and his wife Tamar Hill (née Eastwood). In 1891, the family lived at the home of Tamar Hill’s widowed father at Kirkdale, Lancashire; John William Hill was recorded as a paper dealer. Ten years later, the family lived on the Wirral at 4 Thorburn Road, Lower Bebington; the family included Edwin, John W, Rowland, Harold E, Sydney and Emma, John William Hill being employed as a sack merchant. By 1911, the family had moved to “Holmfield”, Huyton, Liverpool; John William Hill was employed as a merchant in jute goods whilst Edwin was a commercial clerk. He later became a manager of works in his father’s business.

Edwin Hill enlisted into The King’s (Liverpool Regiment) on 10 November 1914 at Liverpool. His regimental number was 22407 and he served with the 20th (Service) Battalion also known as the 4th Liverpool Pals. On 20 March 1915, he married Marguerite (Daisy) Bowker, sister of Leonard Astley Bowker (qv), at Llanrhos Parish Church. Promotion was rapid and Edwin was appointed acting colour quartermaster sergeant on 8 October 1915. He disembarked in France on 7 November 1915. In June 1916, he took leave in the UK. On 2 May 1917, he reverted to the rank of sergeant and his own request. On 14 May 1917 whilst the battalion was behind the lines at Rougefay, Edwin was admitted by No 2 Field Hospital and taken to 63 Casualty clearing Station Clearing Station at Boubers-Sur-Canche where he was diagnosed with PUO – pyrexia (fever) of unknown origin. By 24 May he was at No 3 General Hospital Le Tréport. With an additional diagnosis of trench fever, he was repatriated to England on HMAT Warilda and was admitted to the Western General Hospital at Manchester on 14 June 1917. On the same day that he was admitted to the hospital in Manchester, he was posted to the depot of his regiment for administrative purposes.

On 10 July 1917, Edwin Hill was transferred to Colwyn Bay Auxiliary Military Hospital – his wife’s address was then “Broom Vale”, Penhryn Bay. On 30 July 1917 he contracted typhoid fever, his temperature reaching 104°F. He died at the Colwyn Bay Isolation Hospital on 16 November 1917 aged 30.

In 1939, Marguerite Hill and her mother Annie Bowker were recorded as living in Llandudno.

 

Frank Hill

  • 38108, Private, 2nd Welsh Regiment
  • Died of wounds, 4 October 1915, aged 27
  • Buried at Le Treport Military Cemetery, France
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)

Frank Hill of the 2nd Battalion of the Welsh Regiment,  formerly of the 4th (Royal Irish) Dragon Guards was, according to Soldiers Died in the Great War, born at Sale, Cheshire and lived at Ashton-under-Lyne. Sadly, it has proved impossible to discover a Frank Hill who fits the criteria so nothing about his early life can be stated with any confidence.  After his death, it was reported in a local newspaper that before the war, Frank had been in the employ of Dr Craig of Llandudno and lived at “Ringway House”, Deganwy Street. According to the Census of Wales for 1911, Dr Craig lived at 14 Mostyn Crescent though an address of “Ringway House” in Deganwy Street was not recorded. However, “Ringwood House”, Deganwy Street, occupied by a family, also with the name of Hill, was recorded.

Frank Hill enlisted at Liverpool very early in the war.  His regimental number in the Dragoon Guards was 7189. Since the 4th Dragoons disembarked in France on 16 August 1914, it is highly likely that Frank joined the 4th Reserve Regiment of Cavalry that had formed at Tidworth when the front-line Dragoons had vacated the camp. In the spring of 1915, much resentment was caused when 800 men of the 4th Reserve Regiment of Cavalry were ordered to transfer to the Infantry. This is almost certainly how Frank, on 13 July 1915, found himself to be disembarking in France as an infantryman. The 2nd Battalion of the Welsh Regiment had been in France for almost a year with the British Expeditionary Force and was in billets at Sailly-Labourse near Béthune when a draft of two sergeants and 62 other ranks joined it as reinforcements. Frank’s new regimental number was 38108.

On 25 September 1915, the 2nd Battalion WR engaged the Germans during the Battle of Loos. Casualties were very high and probably included Frank Hill who was reported wounded in action. He died of his wounds on 4 October 1915 at No 2 Canadian General Hospital, Le Treport, France and was buried at the town’s military cemetery.

NOTE

Army records indicate that his sole legatee was Miss Sarah Hill. A Sarah Hill, then aged 15, resided at the aforementioned “Ringwood House”, Deganwy Street in 1911, so it is possible that Frank was a lodger at Sarah’s home. Though they shared the same surname, no relationship has been established.

 

David, Evan and John Hobson

  • Cousins of William James Hobson
  • Brothers-in-law of John Basford

The Hobson brothers were the sons of a baker, John Hobson, and his wife Jane Hobson (née Hughes). The family lived at “Ivy Mount”, Tyn-y-coed Road, Great Orme. The 1911 Census of Wales reveals that Jane Hobson had had ten children, eight of whom had survived childhood. The eight surviving children were Hannah, Evan, Elizabeth, Anthony, David, John, William, and Mary. Of the five sons, Evan and John were killed in action and David died shortly after the end of the war. Their cousin William James Hobson and their brother-in-law, John Basford, Elizabeth Hobson’s husband, were also killed in action. Anthony Hobson married John Basford’s sister, Fanny in 1919.

David Hobson

  • 44976, Private, 19th Northumberland Fusiliers
  • Died of illness after discharge, 21 April 1919, aged 23
  • Buried at St. Tudno’s Churchyard
  • Not an official war grave

David Hobson was born in Llandudno on 7 July 1894. He attended St. Beuno’s School before transferring to St. George’s National School in September 1902 which he left school in July 1909. In 1911, he was described as a tailor.

On 22 November 1915, David, described as a shop assistant, volunteered at Llandudno to join the 3/1st (Welsh) Divisional Cyclist Company, (Territorial Force). Also to join that day was Donald Goulding Evans (qv). The 1st (Welsh) Divisional Cyclist Company had formed in May-June 1915 and was attached to the 53rd (1st Welsh) Division, (Territorial Force). A second-line company was then formed, the 2/1st becoming attached to the 68th (2nd Welsh) Division. David and Donald joined the third-line company, the 3/1st at Stockport on 24 November 1915 and the two volunteers were given consecutive regimental numbers – 488 (Donald) and 489 (David) If these two young men expected to restrict their war to home service or as cycle troops, then they must have been disappointed when, as a consequence of the Military Service Act of 1916, they were transferred to the Northumberland Fusiliers on 23 November 1916. They embarked for France on 11 December 1916 and arrived at 31 Infantry Base Depot at Étaples on 13 December 1916. David was given a new regimental number of 44976. They joined the 19th Battalion on 16 December 1916. The 19th NF was a pioneer battalion and on 13 July 1917, David was wounded (described as slightly) by shell fire whilst digging trenches at Villers Faucon, Somme, France. He was evacuated to England where he arrived on 25 July 1917, being sent to the 2nd Western General Hospital at Manchester. He was found to be unfit for overseas or home service, awarded a Silver War Badge No 428539 and was discharged at York with a pension on 16 July 1918.

David Hobson died of an obstructed bowel, peritonitis, +and exhaustion at his family home on 21 April 1919 aged 23 and was buried at St. Tudno’s Churchyard three days later.

NOTE

It was locally reported that David Hobson had suffered “shell shock” during the war which might explain his repatriation and discharge having been only “slightly” wounded. In any event, he found it difficult to cope after the deaths in action of so many other members of his family. It was reported that his death was “attributable to the war”, a conclusion not seemingly accepted by the War Office.

Evan Hobson

  • 21627, Private, 14th Gloucestershire Regiment
  • Killed in action, 21 August 1917, aged 29
  • Buried at Templeux-Le-Guerard British Cemetery, France
  • CWGC registered (Son of Mr J Hobson, of Ivy Mount, Tyncoed, Gt Orme’s Head, Llandudno)

Evan Hobson was born in Llandudno on 3 February 1888. Evan attended St. George’s National School, Llandudno, leaving in October 1901. In 1911, Evan was described as a coach painter, boarding at 72 Matlock Road, Kingfields, Coventry.

Evan enlisted at Coventry at the end of June 1915 into the Gloucestershire Regiment, his service number being 21627. He joined and trained with the 14th (Service) Battalion (West of England) which had formed at Bristol as a Bantam Battalion on 22 April 1915. This indicates that he was very probably short in stature – a soldier with a close service number (625) was 5’1” tall. The 14th Glosters disembarked at Le Havre on 31 January 1916.

On 19 August 1917, the 105th Brigade attacked an objective known as “the Knowl” near Lempire, between St. Quentin and Cambrai. The following day, the 14th Glosters moved up as relief troops. On 21 August 1917, the battalion repulsed a German counterattack which resulted in one officer and three other ranks being killed including Evan Hobson aged 29. He was initially buried at Sainte-Émilie Military Cemetery but later reinterred at Templeux-Le-Guerard British Cemetery.

John Hobson

  • 44142, Private, 13th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 22 June 1917, aged 20
  • Buried at Bard Cottage Cemetery, Belgium
  • CWGC registered (Mr J Hobson, Ivy Mount, Great Orme Rd, Llandudno)

John Hobson was born in Llandudno on 11 February 1897. He was the second son named John as his sibling, John, born in 1890 had died in 1896. He left St. George’s National School in April 1910 and the census of the following year recorded him as a shoemaker.

Now employed as a plasterer’s apprentice, John Hobson signed his attestation papers to join the army on 29 February 1916. The following day, he was transferred to the Army Reserve class B. He was called up on 13 July 1916 to the Royal Welsh Fusiliers’ depot at Wrexham and posted to the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion at Litherland. John embarked for France on 19 December 1916 and joined 5 Infantry Base Depot the following day. On 1 January 1917, he joined the 13th (Service) Battalion RWF at ‘D’ Camp near Poperinge. On 26 January 1917, he received a gunshot wound to the upper left arm and was admitted to 130 (St. John) Field Ambulance. After recovering at “NM” Casualty Clearance Station, he rejoined his battalion on 18 February 1917.

John Hobson was killed in action on 22 June 1917 near Ypres aged 20. The battalion’s war diary for the day does not mention any casualties but records shell fire coming from the German lines. He was buried at Bard Cottage Cemetery, Belgium.

 

William James Hobson

  • 15532, Private, 10th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 30 March 1916, aged 19
  • No known grave (Ypres Memorial [Menin Gate], Belgium)
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)
  • Cousin of David, Evan and John Hobson

William James Hobson, the son of Joseph Hobson, a stonemason, and Ellen Hobson (née Jones), was born in Llandudno on 26 June 1896. He was a full cousin of David, Evan and John Hobson (all qv). In 1901, the family of eight lived at 2 Tan-y-Graig Cottages, Great Orme. William attended the Great Orme Council School and in 1907 transferred to St. George’s National School which he left in June 1910. In 1911, William was still living with his parents and he worked for a grocer as an errand boy. On 8 November 1913, William’s girlfriend, Florence Emily Owen gave birth to their daughter, Freda Magdalene Owen.

William Hobson volunteered at Llandudno in early September 1914 and joined the 10th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers which officially formed at Wrexham the following month. This battalion was part of K3, Kitchener’s third new army. William’s regimental number was 15532. The battalion moved to Aldershot (June 1915) by way of Codford St. Mary (Salisbury Plain), Bournemouth and Romsey. It landed at Boulogne on 27 September 1915. On 30 March 1916, the battalion was holding the line at Vormezeele near Ypres in Belgium. A small bombing party was detailed to attack a German post and William Hobson was probably killed in this action aged 19. His body was never recovered, and he has no known grave.

In 1939, both Florence and Freda Owen lived in Llandudno, Freda having married Dennis Roberts, son of John Roberts, the Llandudno Piermaster in 1931, Dennis, Freda and their children emigrated to Canada in 1948. Freda Roberts died in 2013.

 

Frank V Hogan

  • 874831, Gunner, 4th Canadian Field Artillery
  • Died of illness, 1 November 1918, aged 34
  • Buried at the Great Orme’s Head Cemetery
  • CWGC registered (Son of Michael Henry and F M Hogan, of “Kincora”, 33 St. Mary’s Rd, Llandudno. Born at Swaffam, Norfolk.)

Frank V Hogan was the son of an Irish-born excise officer Michael Henry Hogan and his wife Flora Mary Hogan (née Mills). Frank, the first born of the couple’s four sons was born at Swaffham, Norfolk on 30 July 1884. In 1891, the family lived at Watton Road, Swaffham; Frank’s brothers were: George, Michael and Eugene. Ten years later, the family with two servants was living at Newark, Nottinghamshire; whether Frank was working or at school is not recorded. On 4 April 1908, the Virginian arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia. A passenger was Frank Hogan whose ultimate destination was Winnipeg.

On 17 March 1916, Frank Hogan volunteered to join the 184th Overseas Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. He gave his address as 536 William Avenue, Winnipeg and named his mother, Mrs M H Hogan of Kincora, St. Mary’s Road, Llandudno as his next of kin. His occupation was that of a bookkeeper. His regimental number was 874831. The 184th CEF embarked from Halifax on the SS Empress of Britain on October 31, 1916 and on arrival in England was absorbed into the 11th Reserve Battalion. It would appear that Frank received artillery training for his ultimate unit was the 4th Canadian Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery. Initially founded as the 4th Canadian, it was given a British number, the 131st (Canadian) before it had arrived at Portsmouth in April 1916. It disembarked in France in July 1916 and reverted to the 4th Canadian in January 1917. The war diary records reinforcements arriving in April and October 1917 and Frank may have been in one of these drafts. Frank’s service in France and the circumstances of his return to England are unknown.

Frank V Hogan died on 1 November 1918 aged 34 at No 12 Canadian General Hospital, Bramshott of influenza (5 days) and bronchopneumonia. His body was taken to Llandudno and he was buried at the Great Orme’s Head Cemetery.

When Great Orme’s Head Cemetery was surveyed after the Great War by the Imperial War Grave Commission, Frank Hogan’s grave was noted as “Good grass mound. Wife pays for attention.” Since Frank had not been married, then it was probably his mother who organised the upkeep of the grave. The IWGC placed a standard headstone on the grave complete with a maple leaf, a cross and the additional sentiment “RIP”. Whilst the stone remains registered with the CWGC, it is not to be found on Frank’s grave. In its place there is a marble headstone which also commemorates Frank’s parents who died in 1934 and 1937. The simplest explanation is that Frank’s official headstone was removed in the 1930s and replaced by the existing stone. The CWGC agrees that this is probably what happened. The fate of the original stone is unknown.

 

Bertram Lester Holme

  • Lieutenant, 12th (attached 8th) Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Died of wounds, 25 April 1916, aged 27
  • Buried at Amara War Cemetery, Iraq
  • CWGC registered (Son of Geoffrey Cosset Holme and Jessie Holme, of “Bryn Afon,” Penmon, Beaumaris, Anglesey, formerly of Angerton, Ormskirk, Lancs)
  • Not a local casualty
    • Memorial in St. Tudno’s Churchyard

Bertram Lester Holme was the son of Geoffrey Gosset Holme, a building contractor, and his wife Jenny Elizabeth Fanny Holme (née Lester). He was born on 22 August 1888 at West Birkenhead. In 1891, the family of three lived at Toxteth Park. Ten years later, Bertram was a boarder at Lime House School, Wetheral, Carlisle; his parents and sister, Gladys lived at Aughton, Lancashire. In January 1902 he went to Marlborough College and in 1906 to Queen’s College, Cambridge where he received an MA in 1909. In 1911 Bertram’s parents lived in Liverpool, and his widowed grandfather, George Holme and an aunt and uncle lived at Plas Trevor, Abbey Road, Llandudno. George Holme was a retired architect and surveyor. Bertram was in Russia, a tutor to the sons of the Admiral of the Black Sea Fleet and Governor of Sebastopol. On the outbreak of war, he was living in Saint Petersburg, holding a post in the Law School.

Bertram Holme returned to England and volunteered to join the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. He was gazetted as a second lieutenant on 18 December 1914 and allocated to the 12th (Service) Battalion that had formed at Wrexham in October 1914. The battalion moved to Tenby in February 1915 but on 10 April 1915, the battalion became a Reserve Battalion and many of its volunteers were sent to other battalions as reinforcements. Bertram Holme was attached to the 8th (Service) Battalion which was engaged against the Turkish Army in the Dardanelles. The war diary of the battalion records that he joined it on 6 October 1915. On 8/9 January 1916, the battalion was evacuated from Helles to Lemnos, reaching Alexandria on 28 January and Port Said on 30 January. Whilst in Egypt, Bertram had a temporary appointment as a staff captain but he re-joined his battalion when it was dispatched to Mesopotamia as part of a task force to reinforce troops attempting to relieve the town of Kut.

Bertram Holme was wounded in action during the Battle of the Sanniyat on 10 April 1916 and died of his wounds on 25 April 1916 aged 27. He was buried at Ali-Al-Garbi and reinterred after the war at Amara Military Cemetery. His parents had retired to Penmon on Anglesey by the time of his death.

In the 1930s, because of salts in the ground causing the headstones to deteriorate, most of the headstones in the Amara War Cemetery were removed and the names engraved upon a screen wall. Sadly, because of the political situation in Iraq since the 1st Gulf War, the graveyard has become abandoned and vandalised. An Iraq Roll of Honour can be viewed in the headquarters of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

 

Eustace Addison Holt

  • 4569, Lance Corporal, 1/10th King’s (Liverpool Regiment) (Territorial Force)
  • Died of wounds, 4 November 1916, aged 31
  • Buried at St. Sever Cemetery, Rouen, France
  • CWGC registered (Son of the Rev. and Mrs. G. O. Holt, of Bon Air, Deganwy, Carnarvonshire)
  • Deganwy casualty

Eustace Addison Holt was born in 1885, the second son of the Rev George Owen Holt, Vicar of Rosliston, Derbyshire and his wife Mary Jane Holt (née Russell). In 1891, the Rev Holt was appointed Rector of Whittington and the family: George, Mary, Madeleine, George Selwyn, Eustace Addison, and Elizabeth Margaret lived at “Rectory House”, Whittington. The following year, George Holt was made Vicar of Great Hayward, Staffordshire, a position he held until 1896 when he was made Vicar of Astley, in Shropshire, Eustace becoming a day-pupil at Shrewsbury School. In 1901, the family lived in the “Vicarage”, Astley; Eustace was described as a shipping merchant’s apprentice. In 1906, he took up a post in Spain which lasted for five years after which he took up a position in Liverpool with the Pacific Steam Navigation Company. He lived at 18 Grosvenor Drive, New Brighton.

The 10th (Scottish) Battalion, the King’s (Liverpool Regiment) (Territorial Force) at the outbreak of war was based at Bootle and part of the West Lancashire Division. The 10th KLR split into two, the first line battalion, designated 1/10th, landed at Le Havre on 2 November 1914. With the departure of 1/10th to France, a third line battalion, the 3/10th (Scottish) was formed, and it is this battalion which Eustace joined on 15 May 1915 with a number of 4569. After training with the 3/10th, Eustace Holt embarked from Southampton on 18 November 1915 and joined the 1/10th Battalion on 23 November 1915. He was appointed unpaid lance corporal on 22 May 1916. On 18 September 1916, Eustace Holt was wounded in the left leg when the battalion was holding the front near Ypres. He was taken to 9 General Hospital near Rouen.

Eustace Addison Holt died of his wounds on 4 November 1916 aged 31. He was buried at St. Sever Cemetery, Rouen. When Eustace Holt’s probate was wound up in 1917, his address was given as “Bon Air”, Deganwy. George Holt’s last appointment in 1908 had been as Chaplain to the Chester Workhouse, retiring in 1913 to live at Deganwy.

 

John Philip Skipworth Hornsby

  • Captain, 10th South Wales Borderers
  • Killed in action, 2 September 1918, aged 29
  • Buried at Sailly-Saillisel British Cemetery, France
  • CWGC registered (Son of John Edward and Florence Eveline Hornsby, of Ormiston, Morfa Rd, Llandudno)

John Philip Skipworth Hornsby, born at Menai Bridge, Anglesey on 6 June 1889, was the only son of a schoolteacher, John Edward Hornsby, and his wife Florence Evelyn Hornsby (née Skipworth). In 1891 the family lived at the National School House at Menai Bridge. In 1896, John Edward Hornsby was appointed headmaster of St. George’s National School, Llandudno. John Philip and his sister Julia were admitted to the school on 2 March 1896, giving their address as “Burngreave Villa”, Deganwy Street. By 1901, the family lived at “Brooklands”, Lloyd Street, Llandudno, John Edward Hornsby being described as a certified schoolteacher and organist. That same year, John Philip was admitted to John Bright County School. In 1911, the family’s address was “Ormiston”, Morfa Road, Llandudno, John Philip being a bookkeeper to a fishmonger.

John Hornsby joined the 10th (Liverpool Scottish) Battalion of The King’s (Liverpool Regiment) (Territorial Force) before the war. His term of engagement may have ended, and he may have re-enlisted for his first known regimental number, 3790, was issued in September 1914. At the outbreak of war, the 10th KLR had been at Bootle and it split in October to form the 1/10th for overseas service and the 2/10th for home service. The 1/10th, including John Hornsby, landed at Le Havre on 2 November 1914. On a date unknown, John was invalided home suffering from rheumatism. Fully recovered, he was commissioned as a second lieutenant on 19 April 1915 into the 10th (Service) (1st Gwent) Battalion of the South Wales Borderers. The 10th SWB had formed at Brecon in October 1914 and by the New Year was at Colwyn Bay before moving to Winchester (July 1915) and Hazeley Down. In September 1915, John was noted as a second lieutenant in P Company at staff college. The battalion landed at Le Havre on 4 December 1915 as part of the 115th Brigade, 38th (Welsh) Division – it was on this day when John was promoted to temporary lieutenant. The 38th Division suffered severe casualties in 1916 during the Battle of the Somme at Mametz Wood and was engaged the following year during the Third Battle of Ypres. John was promoted to temporary captain on 14 June 1917.

John Hornsby was killed in action on 2 September 1918 aged 29 during the Battle of Bapaume. The 10th SWB had received orders to advance on Mesnil-en-Arrouaise, about four miles south east of Bapaume. The battalion faced heavy machine-gun fire and there were about 50 casualties that day, including Captain Hornsby. John Hornsby was buried on the north side of the village of Sailly-Saillisel. He was reinterred in 1920 at Sailly-Saillisel British Cemetery.

 

Arthur Houston (Albert Houston)

  • 20008, Private, 14th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Died of Illness, 18 May 1915, aged 33
  • Buried in Llanrhos Churchyard
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)

Albert (later Arthur) Houston, the son of Alexander Gilmer Houston, the land agent of the Steephill Estate, and his wife Emily Harriet Houston (née Gavin) was born at Ventnor on the Isle of Wight on 28 September 1881. His birth was registered as Albert Alonzo Richard Jeremiah Houston. Albert had four siblings: Nellie Maude, William John Gilmer, Alexander Douglas and Oscar Beaumont John Willis. In 1883, Alexander Houston was appointed Town Clerk of Ventnor. Emily Houston died on 12 December 1886. In 1891, Alexander Houston and his children lived in Castle Road, Ventnor. Alexander Houston died in May 1898 and his children were dispersed, though his Masonic connections ensured that they did not become impoverished. In 1901, Albert was a boarder living at 43 Harriet Street, Cardiff and employed as a baker. Ten years later, three of the Houston brothers were living under the same roof at 86 Manor Street, Heath, Cardiff; Alexander, married, was a clerk, Albert a baker and Oscar a worker in a florist’s. It was later reported that Albert had first come to the Llandudno with the South Wales Borderers. It is possible that he served with the Militia (Territorial Force from 1909). For example, 3000 men of the volunteer battalions (militia) SWB enjoyed an unruly summer camp at Conway Morfa in 1906. On 9 May 1914, Arthur Houston, a bachelor and general labourer of “The Cobden”, Mostyn Street, Llandudno, married Sarah Jane Roberts, a spinster and domestic servant of “Meadowcroft” (a hotel), Colwyn Bay at Conwy Register Office. “Arthur” was described as the son of Alexander Houston, a town clerk.

In September 1914, the Urban District Council at Llandudno resolved to open a recruitment office in Llandudno Town Hall in the charge of Mr Arthur Hewitt, a surveyor and architect and, from 1915, district councillor. Shortly thereafter, attestation papers signed in Llandudno were invariably witnessed by Arthur Hewitt. Amongst those to volunteer was Arthur Houston. His army record no longer survives but his regimental number of 20008 in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers indicates that he volunteered in early November 1914. Nominally, at least, Arthur was on the strength of the 14th (Service) Battalion RWF which formed at Llandudno that month, but Arthur Hewitt retained Arthur Houston’s services as his orderly clerk. Whether Arthur was slated to move to Winchester with the rest of the 14th RWF in August 1915 is unknown for he contracted a chill and died of pneumonia on 18 May 1915. Arthur was taken from 28 Somerset Street, Llandudno and buried with full military honours at Llanrhos Churchyard.

Sarah Jane Houston died at Lancaster in 1933.

NOTE

A contemporary newspaper report of the military funeral fails to mention Arthur’s wife Sarah Jane. The same report states that Arthur was born at Ventnor. Since (a) there is no record of Albert Houston after 1911, (b) there is no record of Arthur Houston before 1914, (c) both were the sons of Alexander Houston, a town clerk, and (d) both were born in Ventnor, then Albert and Arthur are without doubt one and the same person.

 

Arthur Price Hughes

  • Captain, 17th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Died of illness after discharge, 31 March 1921, aged 29
  • Buried at the Great Orme’s Head Cemetery
  • CWGC registered (Son of Mr W O and Mrs M E Hughes, of Bank House, Llandudno)
  • Not on Llandudno’s Roll of Honour

Arthur Price Hughes was born in Colwyn Bay on 29 March 1892. He was the son of William Owen Hughes, a bank manager, and his wife Mary Edith Hughes (née Price). The family’s address was 11 Station Road, Colwyn Bay. In 1901, the family lived at “Metropolitan Bank House”, High Street, Pwllheli. Arthur was recorded as having a brother Roland, a brother William Donne, and a sister Muriel. Arthur attended the Pwllheli County School and received the University of London matriculation in 1910. The following year, Arthur, still living with his parents in Pwllheli, was described as a solicitor’s articled clerk. He later moved to Salford and became articled to the town clerk.

On a date presently unknown, Arthur joined the Inns of Court Officer Training Corps. His rank was private, and his service number was 5585. The Inns of Court OTC provided basic and officer training at Berkhamsted to over 13000 men. Arthur was commissioned as a temporary second lieutenant on 27 December 1915 into the Second Reserve of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. He disembarked in France on 5 June 1916 in the rank of acting captain and joined the 17th (Service) Battalion RWF. The 17th (2nd North Wales) RWF, part of the 38th (Welsh) Division had formed at Llandudno in February 1915 and had disembarked in France in December 1915. Later, Arthur Hughes was hospitalised with a severe wound to the neck.

Arthur Price Hughes died on 31 March 1921 aged 29 at 56 Gainsborough Avenue, Oldham of pneumonia. His occupation was recorded as a solicitor of 270 Waterloo Street, Oldham. The informant was JG Rowlands of “Bodnant”, Llandudno. Sometime before Arthur had been wounded, his father had become the manager of the London and Midland Bank at Llandudno and his parents now lived at “Bank House”. Arthur’s body was returned to Llandudno and he was buried at the Great Orme’s Head Cemetery. As well as a standard War Graves Commission headstone, Arthur has an additional memorial on his family headstone.

NOTE

Arthur Hughes probably died too late to be included on the Llandudno Roll of Honour.

 

Daniel Hughes

  • Temporary Second Lieutenant, 8th/10th, attached 1/4th (TF), Gordon Highlanders
  • Killed in action, 23 July 1916, aged 32
  • No known grave (Thiepval Memorial, France)
  • CWGC registered
  • Brother-in-law of James Alexander McDonald

Daniel Hughes was born in Llandudno in 1884. He was the son of Samuel and Mary Hughes. Sam Hughes was the licensee of the “Mostyn Arms” in Llanrhos and the Census of Wales for 1891 records the family (parents and six children) as resident there, Sam being described as a publican and secretary and Dan a scholar. Dan later attended Ysgol John Bright. By 1901, the business had relocated to what is now Conway Road as the “Mostyn Arms Hotel” (now the “Links Hotel”). Dan was described as an assistant at the electric light company. Mary Hughes died in 1909. In 1911 just three of the family lived at “The Rosary”, Abbey Road, Llandudno, Sam described as Secretary of Llandudno Pier (he was also the manager), Dan as an assistant engineer, and Dan’s sister Mary.

On 28 October 1914, Dan Hughes volunteered to join the army. Though he enlisted at Llandudno, he joined the Gordon Highlanders on 31 October 1914 at Aberdeen, his regimental number being S/6633. He was posted to the 8th (Service) Battalion, the first of the New Army battalions formed by that regiment (August 1914) which had already moved to Aldershot. Dan was promoted to lance sergeant on 1 December 1914 and to sergeant on 16 February 1915. In February 1915, the 8th GH moved from Aldershot to Bordon and on 10 May 1915, it was mobilised for war and Dan Hughes disembarked that day at Boulogne.

A local newspaper dated October 1915 recorded Dan Hughes as being home on leave. On 11 December 1915, he was ordered to attend the GHQ Cadet School and was commissioned as a second lieutenant on 30 January 1916. Though he was commissioned into his old battalion (which merged with the 10th (Service) Battalion on 11 May 1916 forming the 8th/10th GH), at some time he was attached to the 1/4th Battalion, (Territorial Force) which had been in France since February 1915.

The 1/4th Gordons took part in a failed attack on 23 July 1916 at High Wood near Bazentin-le-Petit during the Battle of the Somme. Dan Hughes was reported wounded in a shell-hole but a search for him proved fruitless and he was recorded as missing. There was some speculation that he might have been captured. However, enquiries through the International Red Cross confirmed that he was not a prisoner of war and his date of death was assumed as 23 July 1916. He was aged 32 and has no known grave. Dan Hughes wrote a “soldier’s will” leaving his estate to his sister Mary. His address in the national probate calendar was given as “Tyaildro”, Hill Terrace, Llandudno.

 

Edward Morris Hughes

  • 3/25879, Private, 2nd Lancashire Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 9 August 1917, aged 29
  • Buried at Level Crossing Cemetery, Fampoux, France
  • CWGC registered (Husband of Margaret Hughes, of 2 Belle Vue Terrace, Gt. Ormes Head, Llandudno)
  • Brother of John Hughes (RWF)

Edward Morris Hughes, the son of John Hughes, a carter, and his wife Margaret Hughes (née Jones) was born in Llandudno on 9 November 1888. His elder brother was John Hughes (qv) and their known siblings were Elizabeth, Ellen, Thomas, William and George. In 1881, the family lived at “Bodlondeb”, Church Walks, Llandudno. Edward was baptised Edwin Morris on 24 April 1889. Later that year, Margaret Hughes died and was buried in St. Tudno’s Churchyard, Great Orme’s Head; she was described on her headstone as the wife of John Hughes of 3 Cwlach Street. Edward attended St. George’s National School which he left in July 1901. Described as a cab driver, on 22 November 1915, Edward Hughes married Margaret Evans at St. George’s Church, Llandudno.

Edward Hughes’ service record no longer exists. From the scraps of information that are available, it would appear that he volunteered to join the Royal Field Artillery at the end of 1915. It is known that he enlisted in Llandudno. If this is the case, then he was given a day’s pay and called up around May 1916 – his RFA regimental number being 137574. Even though he volunteered for the artillery, the Military Service Act of 1916 changed the rules and many volunteers who were recruited by the artillery were transferred to the infantry. In Edward’s case, he was transferred to the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion of the Lancashire Fusiliers in June 1916 with a regimental number of 3/25879.

Edward and Margaret Hughes’ son Daniel was born on 29 July 1916 at 2 Belle Vue Terrace, Great Orme. This was Margaret’s address before she was married.

On disembarking in France circa April 1917, Edward Hughes was posted to the 2nd Battalion. This battalion was one of the regiment’s regular battalions which had been stationed at Dover on the outbreak of war, disembarking on 20 August 1914 at Boulogne as part of the British Expeditionary Force.

As part of the 12th Brigade in the 4th Division, the battalion was holding the line near Arras on 9 August 1917. That day saw some enemy activity, the war diary reporting incoming artillery, mortars and grenades. It also recorded that six were killed that day. The six were all buried at Level Crossing Cemetery and included Edward Hughes aged 29.

 

Edwin Hughes

See John Edwyn Hughes.

 

Hubert Darrell Hughes

  • Second Lieutenant, 3rd (attached 8th) Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 14 January 1917, aged 19
  • No known grave (Basra Memorial)
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)

Hubert Darrell Hughes, the son of the Rev Llewelyn Robert Hughes and his wife Maria Elizabeth Hughes (née Sweetapple) was born on 7 September 1897 and known as Darrell. His father was the incumbent at Portmadoc and in 1901 the family lived in the town’s vicarage; Darrell had two elder brothers: Rodri Henry and Frederick Llewelyn. The following year, Llewelyn Hughes was appointed the Rector at Llandudno and the family lived at “The Rectory”, Church Walks. Darrell attended Sywell House School, Rhyl. In 1911, Darrell Hughes was a boarder at a preparatory school in Box, Wiltshire. He later attended Llandovery College and joined the Royal Military College at Sandhurst on 29 December 1914.

On 14 July 1915, Darrell Hughes was commissioned into the Regular Army, specifically the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, as a second lieutenant in the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion. Almost a year later, on 5 July 1916, he entered the Mesopotamian theatre of war attached to the 8th (Service) Battalion. He was killed in action during the Battle of Kut on 14 January 1917 aged 19. His body was never knowingly recovered.

During the Great War, Llewelyn Hughes had taken on additional duties as a divisional chaplain at Conway Morfa Camp. Before the war in 1907, he had developed plans to enlarge Holy Trinity Church with an extended chancel and a “morning chapel”. Financial constraints put these plans on hold but new impetus after the Great War resulted in an appeal to raise funds to construct the chapel as the “Soldiers’ Memorial Chapel”. No doubt the death of his youngest son was highly influential in fulfilling Llewelyn Hughes’ plans. The Memorial Chapel was completed in 1924; Llewelyn Hughes died the following year. The extended chancel was completed in 1930.

Darrell Hughes’ is commemorated on the Basra Memorial which was dedicated in 1929. Until 1997 the Memorial was situated on the main quay of the former Royal Naval dockyard at Maqil, on the west bank of the Shatt-al-Arab Waterway, five miles north of Basra, but in 1998 the Memorial was summarily removed by the Saddam Hussein government, a project that involved a considerable cost in manpower, transportation and engineering, and completely re-erected at a site in the middle of nowhere 20 miles up the road from Basra to Nasiriyah. The memorial is in a poor state of repair and the names are additionally commemorated on the CWGC’s Iraq Roll of Honour.

 

John Hughes (RWF)

  • 33316, Private, 3rd Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Died of illness, 6 May 1916, aged 40
  • Buried at the Great Orme’s Head Cemetery
  • CWGC registered (Son of John and Margaret Hughes, of Llandudno; husband of Margaret Ann Hughes, of “Fern Bank,” 2 Gwlach St, Llandudno)
  • Brother of Edward Morris Hughes

John Hughes, the son of John Hughes, a carter, and his wife Margaret Hughes (née Jones) was born in Llandudno on 10 June 1875. His younger brother was Edward Morris Hughes (qv) and their known siblings were Elizabeth, Ellen, Thomas, William and George. In 1881, the family lived at “Bodlondeb”, Church Walks, Llandudno. John attended Lloyd Street School but in April 1887 he transferred to St. Beuno’s School. John was expelled from school in February 1889, the same year as his mother died.

In 1894, John Hughes became a professional soldier and joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. He served in the 2nd Battalion with a service number of 4533. In January 1899, the battalion disembarked at Hong Kong on a routine posting. That year, the battalion became part of an international force assembled to secure the foreign legations at Pekin (Beijing) which were under attack during the Boxer Rebellion. John received an injury to the knee and was invalided home. He was awarded the Silver China Medal with the Relief of Pekin Clasp (June 10 to August 14, 1900).

In 1901, John lived with his father and his stepmother at 7 Alexandra Terrace, Llandudno. Both John and his father were described as labourers/masons. On 20 December 1902, John Hughes married Margaret Ann Thomas at Conwy Registry Office. The couple lived at “Fern Bank”, Cwlach Street, Llandudno and a daughter, also Margaret Ann but called Madge, was born on 17 January 1906. The couple’s second daughter, Mary Jane, was born in 1907 but died two years later.

John Hughes re-joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in October 1914 but was discharged. He attested again on 21 August 1915 and was assigned to the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion at Litherland near Liverpool.

John Hughes was taken ill, dying of pneumonia at Windy Knowe Military Hospital, Blundellsands, Great Crosby on 6 May 1916. His body was returned to Llandudno and was interred at the Great Orme’s Head Cemetery in the grave of his daughter Mary Jane. Although the Commonwealth War Grave Commission records acknowledge an existing headstone inscribed with two names, presumably Mary Jane and John, an additional standard WGC stone was placed. The first stone has since been inscribed with daughter Madge and wife Margaret Ann.

 

John Hughes (NF)

  • 56109, Private, 21st Northumberland Fusiliers
  • Died of illness, 4 November 1917, aged c 27
  • Buried at Étaples Military Cemetery, France
  • CWGC registered (Brother of Annie Thomas, of Nant-y-Gamer, Llandudno, Carnarvonshire. Native of Nant-y-Gamer)
  • Brother-in-law of Edwin Isaac Edwards

John Hughes is recorded by the CWGC as the brother of Annie Thomas of Nant-y-Gamer, Llandudno. Annie Thomas was born Annie Hughes, the daughter of Elias Hughes and his second wife Martha. Annie married twice: Edwin Edwards (qv) in 1911 and John Thomas in 1919. No evidence has been forthcoming so far to indicate that John Hughes was the son of Elias Hughes though it is possible that Annie (b 1884) and John (b circa 1890) were brought up as if they were brother and sister. The Census of Wales for 1901 records Elias and Martha Hughes and Herbert J Edwards (11, described as a grandson, b Llandudno) and the Census of Wales for 1911 records Elias Hughes, Annie Hughes (26) and John Edwards (21, described as a nephew and a carter) living at Nant-y-Gamer. Whether Herbert J Edwards, John Edwards and John Hughes are one and the same person is presently unknown.

John Hughes’ service record no longer exists though it is known that he enlisted in Llandudno into the Army Service Corps. His ASC number of 216830 was probably issued around October 1916. It is not known where or when he disembarked in France but later in around September 1917, he was transferred to the Northumberland Fusiliers and posted to the 21st (Service) Battalion (2nd Tyneside Scottish) which had been in France since January 1916. His new regimental number was 56109.

John Hughes died of an intestinal obstruction on 4 November 1917 at the 24th General Hospital at Étaples. He was buried at the Étaples Military Cemetery. His effects were left to Annie Thomas.

 

John David Hughes

  • 61221, Private, 9th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 8-18 April 1918, aged 19
  • No known grave (Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium)
  • CWGC registered (Son of Robert and Gaynor Hughes, of Ravenscliff, Winllan Avenue, Llandudno)

John (Jack) David Hughes, the son of Robert Hughes and Gaynor Hughes (née Jones) was born in Llanrhos on 16 March 1899. In 1901, John, his sister Ellen and his parents lived at 13 Grove Terrace, Llandudno; Robert Hughes was employed as a painter. Ellen Hughes died in 1902. In April 1904. John attended Lloyd Street School and was transferred in September 1905 to the newly opened Dyffryn Road School. The Census for 1911 recorded that John had two younger sisters: Lillian May and Gwynedd Orme. John left school in June 1912.

John Hughes’ regimental number of 61221 in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers indicates that he was called up in March 1917, shortly after his 18th birthday. He enlisted at Llandudno and may have trained with the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion at Litherland. He disembarked in France in June or July 1917, probably joining the RWF Infantry Base Depot at Rouen before being posted to the 9th (Service) Battalion.

A memorial stone in St. Tudno’s Churchyard states that John Hughes was killed in action in April 1918 (no specific day) aged 19 at Messines, France. Soldiers Died in the Great War states that he was killed in action on 18 April 1918, though the register of soldiers’ effects reveals that he died sometime between 8 and 18 April and that his death was presumed. Messines, or Mesen as it is now called, is actually in Belgium and was captured by the Germans on 10/11 April (Battle of Messines) during their spring offensive (Battle of the Llys). Previously on 7 April, the 9th RWF had relieved the 2nd Lincolns at Wytschaete, a mile north of Messines. Fierce fighting took place on 10/11 April and the remnants of the battalion were withdrawn on the 12th to positions two miles west on the France/Belgium frontier. On 13 April, the battalion was ordered back to the front to hold the line and it did so until relieved on the night of 18/19 April.

Exactly where or when John Hughes was killed is unknown. The situation at the time was very fluid and desperate – it was on 11 April when Field Marshal Hague issued his famous “backs to the wall” order. John Hughes’ body was never knowingly recovered, and he is remembered on the Tyne Cot Memorial.

 

John Edwyn Hughes BA (Edwyn J Hughes)

  • Second Lieutenant, 10th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Died of wounds, 19 August 1916, aged 29
  • Buried at Dive Copse British Cemetery, Sailly-le-Sec, Somme, France
  • CWGC registered (Son of Edward and Mary Hughes, of Port Dinorwic, Carnarvonshire; husband of Sydney Ellen Williams [formerly Hughes] of Stag Cottage, Llanfair PG, Anglesey)

John Edwyn Hughes (known as Edwyn) was born in October 1886 at Port Dinorwic (now Y Felinheli). He was the son of Edward J Hughes, a slate loader, and his wife Mary Ann. In 1891, the family lived at 10 Menai Street, Port Dinorwic. Ten years later, the family lived at 22 Augusta Place. Edwyn was educated at the Port Dinorwic Board School, Carnarvon County School and the University College of North Wales, Bangor, where he graduated with a first in history. He was a member of the Officer Training Corps. In 1911, described as Myfyriwr Ifod yr Athraw Ysgol (student schoolmaster-designate), he lived with his parents at 27 Augusta Place. He later took the position of history teacher at Llandudno Central School, Trinity Avenue.

In October 1914, Edwyn Hughes joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers with a service number of 16222. He served with the 10th (Service) Battalion which formed at Wrexham on 16 October 1914 as part of K3, Kitchener’s third new army. His battalion moved in turn to Codford St. Mary, Bournemouth, Romsey and Aldershot (3 June 1915). In the meantime, on 28 January 1915, Lance Corporal John Edwyn Hughes was commissioned as a second lieutenant. Later that year, he married Sydney Ellen Price of Deganwy, a former pupil of John Bright School.

The 10th RWF disembarked at Boulogne on 27 September 1915. Edwyn Hughes was shot in the shoulder and thigh on 18 August 1916 near Guillemont. He died the following day aged 29 and was buried at Dive Copse Military Cemetery which received many casualties from the XIV Corps Main Dressing Station.

Edwyn Hughes left a child as well as a widow, his daughter Joan Edwina having been born on 27 September 1916. Sydney Hughes married Thomas Williams in 1919.

 

John Elias Hughes

  • 25402, Private, 1st South Wales Borderers
  • Killed in action, 18 October 1918, aged 21
  • Buried at Busigny Communal Cemetery Extension, France
  • CWGC registered (Son of Elias and Ellen Hughes, of 1 Bright Terrace, Deganwy, Carnarvonshire)
  • Deganwy casualty

John Elias Hughes was the son of Elias Hughes, a general labourer, and his wife Ellen Hughes (née Jones). He was born on 2 January 1897 at Deganwy. In 1901, the family lived at 3 Brookland Terrace, Llanrhos; John Elias had an elder brother and sister Thomas and Jane Ellen and a younger sister Mary. He attended Deganwy National School, leaving it in July 1907 for the school in Llandudno Junction. By 1911, Elias Hughes was employed at a brickworks, the family living at 1 Bright Terrace, Deganwy.

John Hughes’ army record no longer exists though it is known that he had (at least) two regimental numbers: 33038 with the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry and 25402 with the South Wales Borderers. It would appear that he enlisted in early 1917 and judging from the regimental numbers of others, he may have served with the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion of the KSLI at Pembroke. When he joined the British Expeditionary Force in France, he was transferred to the 1st Battalion of the South Wales Borderers; where or when he joined the battalion is unknown. The 1st SWB was a Regular Army Battalion which had served in France since August 1914.

On 17 October 1918, the 1st SWB was moved. up to Vaux Andigny in support. The following morning, it moved to an area east of Nolain and attacked the German lines at 11.00 am following a smoke barrage. During the engagement, nine other ranks were killed in action including John Elias Hughes aged 21. He was buried near where he fell but after the war, he was reburied at Busigny Communal Cemetery Extension.

 

Joseph Henry Hughes

  • 857, Rifleman, 8th Canadian Infantry
  • Shot whilst attempting to escape, 11 January 1917, aged 26
  • Buried at Cologne Southern Cemetery, Germany
  • CWGC registered (Son of Mrs Emily Hughes, of 240 Ferry Rd, St. James, Winnipeg, Manitoba. Native of Llandudno, Wales)

Joseph Henry Hughes, the son of a builder, Joseph Benjamin Hughes and his wife Emily Maria Hughes (née Jones), was born at Llandudno on 19 May 1890. The following year the family lived at 9 Pleasant Terrace, Llandudno. Joseph Hughes (senior) died in 1896. Joseph attended both Lloyd Street and Craig-y-Don Schools. In 1901, the family – Emily, Joseph Henry, Emily, Gladys, Annie and a foster son, Alfred, lived at 4 Victoria Terrace. In 1911, Joseph Hughes was described as an upholsterer. Joseph left Liverpool for Québec on 30 May 1912. He arrived on 9 June and took up a position as a store clerk with T Eaton and Co at Winnipeg. Having already served with the Territorial Force in the UK, he joined the Canadian Active Militia.

On 1 October 1914, the 8th Canadian Infantry, formerly the 90th Winnipeg Rifles, sailed for England. Disembarking 16 days later, it continued its training on Salisbury Plain during a very wet winter. The battalion landed in France on 13 February 1915.

At time and place presently unknown, Joseph Hughes was taken prisoner by the Germans. He was ultimately imprisoned in Munster II (Racecourse) camp and was shot on 11 January 1917 whilst attempting to escape He was buried at Munster (Hauspital) Prisoners of War Cemetery but was later reinterred circa 1923 at Cologne Southern Cemetery.

In 1920, Emily and her foster son Alfred travelled separately to Winnipeg, Canada.

 

Robert John Hughes

  • 20024, Corporal, 14th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 18 September 1918, aged 32
  • Buried at Gouzeaucourt New British Cemetery, France
  • CWGC registered (Husband of Elizabeth Hughes, of Tyn-y-coed Rd, Great Orme Head, Llandudno)
  • Brother-in-law of Hugh Davies

Robert John Hughes, the son of Daniel Hughes and his wife Margaret Hughes (née Roberts) was born at Llangystenin on 9 June 1886. It would appear that the family moved to Llandudno circa 1890 for the Census of Wales for the following year records the family living at the intriguing address of “Back of No 11”, George’s Crescent. Robert John Hughes, recorded as John Hughes, was the eldest of three siblings and described as a scholar; his father was described as a carriage owner. In March 1893, (Robert) John Hughes was admitted to Lloyd Street School. In 1901, the family lived at 13 Council Street and John, now recorded with six siblings including Annie Hughes who later married Hugh Davies (qv), was occupied as an errand boy. On 26 December 1906, Robert married Elizabeth Roberts at the Shiloh Chapel, Llandudno; he gave his occupation as a general labourer.  In 1911, Robert and Elizabeth lived at 9 Tyn-y-Coed Terrace, Great Orme’s Head. He was now an insurance agent. Though the census record reveals that the couple had previously lost two children, Kate (Kitty) was born in 1911 and Robert John in 1913.

Robert John Hughes joined the Royal Welch Fusiliers at the beginning of November 1914. He enlisted at Llandudno and joined the 14th (Service) Battalion which was forming at Llandudno at the time. The 14th RWF was an element of the “Welsh Army” which became the 38th (Welsh) Division. Another daughter, Elizabeth, was born on 26 May 1915. The division moved to the Winchester area in August 1915 and disembarked in France in December 1915.Daniel Hughes was born in 1917.

Robert John Hughes had been promoted to corporal and had survived almost three years of hard fighting before being killed in action on 18 September 1918 aged 32. On that day, the 14th RWF engaged the Germans at Gouzeaucourt at what would become known as the Battle of Épehy. He was buried about a mile to the west of Gouzeaucourt and after the war was reinterred at Gouzeaucourt New British Cemetery, France.

 

Robert Samuel Hughes

  • 20723, Private, 14th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Died of illness, 10 February 1916, aged 32
  • Buried at St. Venant Communal Cemetery, France
  • CWGC registered (Husband of Winnie Hughes, of 7, Prospect Terrace, Great Orme, Llandudno)

Robert Samuel Hughes was born at Holywell, Flintshire on 10 June 1882. He was the son of Alfred Hughes, a labourer and sometime stone sawyer, and his wife Elizabeth Hughes (née Williams). He had a brother Herbert and a sister Eunice. Robert Hughes attended Holywell National School and the school registers recorded the family’s address as being “White Houses”, Greenfield. In July 1889, the family moved to Liverpool, its address in 1891 being 4 Foundry Yard, Greenfield. In 1901, Alfred and Elizabeth Hughes were boarders at 68 Mostyn Street, Llandudno and Robert Samuel Hughes was a boarder at “Albany View”, Lloyd Street, Llandudno. Robert was employed as a confectioner/breadmaker. On 26 October 1905, Robert married Winifred Alexandra Lewis at St. George’s Church, Nailsworth, Gloucestershire. According to the licence, Robert was a confectioner, and both were residents of Forest Green. The couple’s first child, Victoria Alexandra was born on 27 December 1908 at Forest Green. The following year, the family’s address was 56 Hilton House, Llandudno, Robert being described as a manager of a skating rink – he may have exaggerated his position for in 1910 he was described as a confectioner and the following year employed as a labourer at the gasworks. The family lived at “Milford Villa” and later at 1 Prospect Terrace. Robert is remembered as a bell ringer at Holy Trinity Church. Robert and Winifred’s second child, Alfred Mostyn Hughes, was born at Llandudno on 1 September 1910.

Circa December 1914, Robert enlisted into the Royal Welsh Fusiliers at Llandudno. His service number was 20723. He was taken up by the 14th (Service) Battalion which had formed at Llandudno on 2 November 1914. The battalion moved to Winchester in August 1915 and landed in France in December 1915. On embarkation, Robert Hughes was listed in a roll as a lance serjeant, a corporal carrying out a serjeant’s job. Lance serjeants wore three stripes

Robert Hughes died aged 32 on 10 February 1916 at No 32 Casualty Clearing Station at St. Venant of diabetes. He was buried at St. Venant Communal Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France. He is remembered with the rank of private; how he lost his appointment as a lance serjeant is unknown.

Robert’s brother Herbert joined the 14th RWF shortly after Robert joined. Though he had previously served for eight years in the Militia, Herbert’s engagement in 1914 lasted for less than one day.

 

Thomas John Hughes

  • 14881, Private, 11th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 28 October 1916, aged 33
  • Buried at Karasouli Military Cemetery, Polykastro, Greece
  • CWGC registered (Son of John and Ann Hughes, of Hayley Cottage, Water St, Llandudno)
  • Llandudno casualty
    • Not on Llandudno’s Roll of Honour
    • Not on main Llandudno War Memorial but on supplementary plaque (see note)
    • Not in Memorial Chapel of Holy Trinity Church

The 1881 Census for Wales records Thomas John Hughes’ father, John Hughes, a joiner and widower, living at “Vine House & Hayley House”, adjacent houses on Church Walks, Llandudno. John Hughes’ first wife, Elizabeth, with whom he had at least two children, Margaret, and William, had died circa 1875. John Hughes married Ann Jones on 31 May 1882 in Llandudno and Thomas John Hughes was born on 23 March 1883. “Hayley Cottage” was the family’s address when Thomas John was recorded in the register of St. George’s National School in 1890. Ann Hughes died in 1893 and John Hughes died on 23 March 1900. In 1901, Thomas Hughes was a boarder at the adjacent “Vine Cottage”. He was a joiner like his father.

Thomas John Hughes married Elizabeth Williams, a domestic servant, at Conwy Registry Office on 28 September 1901. Both parties gave their ages as 21 though Thomas was still only 18. The marriage must have ended tragically because the next record of Thomas John Hughes to be discovered is the Census for 1911 where he is described as a widower. It is recorded that he was a coal miner, aged 28, and boarding in Porth, Glamorganshire.

Thomas Hughes enlisted at Wrexham into the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in September 1914 and was posted to the 11th (Service) Battalion which was forming at the time. His regimental number was 14881. The battalion moved south, ending up at Aldershot in June 1915. It landed in France on 5 September but at the end of the following month it embarked at Marseilles for Salonika, arriving there in November 1915. The records of No 66 Field Ambulance record that Thomas Hughes was admitted for two days suffering from enteritis.

Thomas John Hughes was killed in action on 28 October 1916 in North Macedonia, then a province of Serbia. He was buried at Karasouli Military Cemetery, Polykastro, Greece which is about 15 km south of the present Greek/North Macedonian border. Only one other soldier from the battalion was killed that day and he too was buried at the same cemetery and whilst this second soldier’s records still exist, the only legible cause and place was “due to hostile action in the field.” The effects’ register states that Thomas’ effects were received by his stepbrother William.

NOTES

Thomas John Hughes had impeccable Llandudno connections. Although his wife and parents predeceased him, and although he had lived in South Wales in 1911, at the time of his enlistment, his home was in Llandudno (according to Soldiers Died in the Great War). Why he was excluded from the Llandudno memorials is unknown.

In 2019, a plaque that included the name of Thomas John Hughes was dedicated and placed in the Llandudno War Memorial Gardens.

 

William Henry Hughes

  • 357306 (6195), Private,13th The King’s (Liverpool Regiment)
  • Killed in action, 16 August 1916, aged 24
  • No known grave (Thiepval Memorial, France)
  • CWGC registered (Son of Mrs Laura Jane Hughes, of “Heath Cot”, Trinity St, Llandudno, Carnarvonshire)

William Henry Hughes was born on 11 July 1892 in Llandudno. He was the son of William Henry and Laura Jane Hughes (previously Griffith) of 35 Jubilee Street, Llandudno. William (senior) was a painter and sign writer. In 1901 the family (parents, their three children and two children from Laura’s first marriage) lived at 2 Hughes’ Yard, Back Madoc Street. William (senior) died in 1906 and in 1911 Laura, William and his two full siblings lived at 37 Alexandra Road, Llandudno. William was described as a chemist’s assistant.

William Hughes enlisted at Liverpool into the King’s (Liverpool Regiment). He was given the regimental number of 6195 in the 10th Battalion, (Territorial Force). William’s army record no longer exists but another Llandudno soldier who lost his life, 6349 Edward Wallace (qv) joined the 10th KLR just a little later. Edward Wallace attested on 7 December 1915 and was mobilised on 23 February 1916. Edward Wallace trained with the 3/10th (Scottish) KLR that had formed in May 1915. The battalion was renamed 10th (Scottish) TF Reserve Battalion KLR in April 1916. Edward Wallace (and quite possibly William Henry Hughes) disembarked at Boulogne on 14 July 1916. On 26 July, Edward Wallace was posted and proceeded to the 13th (Service) Battalion. There appear to be several instances of soldiers in the Territorial Force being posted to the 13th KLR in the build up to the Somme Offensive.

On 16 August 1916, during the Battle of the Somme, the 13th KLR took part in a failed attack near Guillemont that sustained heavy casualties. William Hughes was originally listed as missing and efforts were made to trace him as a possible prisoner of war through the Red Cross. One effort was made by his mother who gave her address as “Heath Cottage”, Trinity Street, Llandudno. Another was by the Liverpool Women’s War Service Bureau. Unfortunately, these efforts were fruitless, and William Henry Hughes was eventually listed as being killed in action on 16 August 1916 aged 24 although not until after he had been renumbered 357306 in early 1917. Edward Wallace was wounded in action and died of these wounds on 17 August 1916; he is remembered under his original Territorial Force number of 6349.

Soldiers Died in the Great War, the Commonwealth War Grave Commission records and the medal rolls indicate that William Hughes’ last battalion was the 13th KLR. However, the soldiers’ effects’ register recorded him as being in the 1/10th Battalion and his mother believed him to be in “C” Company of the Liverpool Scottish – the 10th KLR. Although the 1/10th KLR had been involved in action near Guillemont, this was a few days before William went missing and on 16 August it was bivouacked behind the lines at Méaulte near Albert. There can be little doubt that both William Hughes and Edward Wallace were fighting with the 13th Battalion when they were wounded/killed.

 

William Matthew Hughes

  • 265896, Corporal, 16th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 22 April 1918, aged 23
  • No known grave (Pozières Memorial, Somme, France)
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)

William Matthew Hughes was born in Liverpool on 5 September 1894. He was the son of Welsh parents, Hugh Hughes and his wife Janet Ann Hughes (née Owens). Hugh Hughes was a plumber and in 1901 the family lived at “Crossfield House”, Clifton Road, Llandudno. William Matthew Hughes attended Lloyd Street School until November 1902 when, according to the register, he left the area. Nevertheless, in 1911 the family was living at 56 Mostyn Street, Llandudno, William being described as a tailor. The register also indicates that in 1911, William had three living siblings: Hugh, Gwynedd, and Kate.

On 11 November 1914, William joined the Territorial Force at Caernarfon. The 6th (Carnarvonshire & Anglesey) Battalion had split in September 1914 into the 1/6th for men who had volunteered for overseas service and the 2/6th for home service. William joined the latter with a regimental number of 2706 (later 265869). The battalion moved to Northampton in April 1915 and on 18 June William was appointed acting corporal. The battalion moved again to Bedford in July 1915 and on 25 May 1916, William was appointed acting sergeant master tailor. The battalion relocated at Southwold in November 1916 and nearby Henham Park in May 1917. The Military Service Act of 1916 deemed that all men in the second line battalions of the Territorial Force eligible to serve overseas. Some whole battalions were sent overseas but others, including the 2/6th RWF, were disbanded and their troops transferred or posted. William’s position as a sergeant master tailor no longer existed and he reverted to the rank of corporal when he was posted to No 5 Infantry Base Depot at Rouen in France on 10 June 1917. He was posted to the 16th (Service) Battalion on 26 July 1917 and joined the battalion two days later, just in time for the Third Battle of Ypres.

The 38th (Welsh) Division was held in reserve during the early part of the 1918 German Spring Offensive until 11 April when it joined the front near Bouzincourt. Elements of the division attacked the German positions on 22 April in an attempt to retake some lost territory. Though partially successful, the attempt was costly with half of the battalion being casualties. William Matthew Hughes aged 23 was variously recorded as wounded, and as wounded and missing on 22 April though he is officially recorded as being killed in action on or after that date. His mother made enquiries as to his being taken prisoner of war through the Red Cross, but this attempt proved fruitless. William Matthew Hughes’ body was never knowingly recovered, and he is remembered on the Pozières Memorial, Somme, France.

 

William Owen Hughes

  • 265802, Private, 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Died of wounds, 22 October1917, aged 29
  • Buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium
  • CWGC registered (Husband of Mary Ellen Jones [formerly Hughes], of 12 Park Terrace, Tywyn, Deganwy)
  • Deganwy casualty
  • Also Llandudno casualty (see note)

William Owen Hughes was born at Bethesda in 1888. He was the first of son of Owen Hughes, a shoemaker, and his wife Margaret (Maggie) Elizabeth Hughes (née Jones). In 1891, the family, which now included William’s younger brother Robert John Hughes, lived at 2 Glanaber Cottage, Llanrhos. In 1901, Maggie Hughes and five of her sons (including William Owen) lived at Llandegai whilst her husband Owen and her son Robert John boarded with Owen’s parents at Llanrhos. On 23 December 1908, William Owen Hughes of “Oak Cottage” Llanrhos, a gardener, married Mary Ellen Edwards at Llanrhos and their daughter Dorothy Evelyn was born on 25 February 1909. In 1911, the family lived at “Central Buildings”, 56 Mostyn Street, Llandudno, the same address as William Matthew Hughes.

On 28 August 1914, William enlisted at Llandudno into the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, joining the Depot at Wrexham the same day with a regimental number of 12480. He named his wife Mary Ellen Hughes as his next of kin, her address being “Arden Cottage”, Tudno Street, Llandudno. He was posted to the 8th (Service) Battalion RWF which had formed earlier that month. However, this posting did not last for he was discharged as being medically unfit on 12 October 1914. Four days later, William joined the 6th (Carnarvonshire and Anglesey) Battalion RWF (Territorial Force) at Caernarfon. His new regimental number was 2395. The previous month, the 6th RWF had split into two battalions, the 1/6th whose men had signed up for overseas service (their destination Gallipoli) and the 2/6th which became a second line unit based at Northampton, Bedford, and Southwold. In early 1917, the Territorial Force was renumbered. William Hughes’ new unique RWF regimental number was 265802.

William’s son William George Hughes was born on 22 March 1917.

When William Hughes disembarked in France on 2 May 1917, he was issued with the Regular RWF number of 66366. However, this change was an administrative error as his previously issued six-figure Territorial Force number was good for his new battalion. On 16 May 1917, William was admitted to No 25 Stationary Hospital at Rouen suffering from diphtheria. Recovered, he joined No 5 Infantry Base Depot at Rouen on 22 June 1917 and the 1st RWF on 13 July 1917. The 1st RWF was a regular battalion which had fought on the Western Front since October 1914.

William Owen Hughes was wounded in the back and chest on 1 October 1917 during a counterattack by the Germans in the Polygon Wood Sector near Ypres. This action is now known as the Battle of Polygon Wood, part of the second phase of the Third Battle of Ypres. Evacuated by No 3 Australian Field Ambulance, he died of wounds the following day at No 3 Canadian Casualty Clearing Station. Remy Siding, Belgium aged 29. He was buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery. After the war, references to William Hughes’ final regimental number reverted to 265802 though some documentation still exists with 66366.

Mary Ellen Hughes married John Jones in 1919.

NOTE

Although William Owen Hughes is remembered on the Deganwy section of the Llanrhos Parish War Memorial (as William Hughes), the fact that he lived in Llandudno in 1911and his wife’s address in 1914 when he enlisted was also in Llandudno, then William Owen Hughes was apparently qualified to have been included on the Llandudno Memorials.

 

William Robert Hughes

  • 14540, Serjeant, 11th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 20 November 1916, aged 32
  • Buried at Karasouli Military Cemetery, Polykastro, Greece
  • CWGC registered (Husband of Frances Mary Hughes, of 3 Council St, Llandudno)

William Robert Hughes was born at 49 South Penrallt, Caernarfon on 14 September 1884. His father was Robert Hughes, a slate polisher, and his mother was Eliza Hughes (née Williams). In 1891, William resided at the house of his paternal grandfather, also Robert Hughes, at 15 North Penrallt, Caernarfon. Ten years later, he was recorded as Willie R Hughes and lived at the home of a cousin, Annie Leary at 6 Enyri Terrace, Caernarfon. It appears that Annie Leary was William’s aunt, the sister of his father. On 12 December 1901, William Hughes joined the Royal Carnarvon and Merioneth Militia, otherwise the 4th Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. He was aged 17, gave his home as in the parish of Llanbeblig near the town of Carnarvon and was a labourer working for a Mr Noble. He received the regimental number of 3099. William’s record with the Militia is short and he appears to have been absent from July 1903. William’s circumstances remain unknown until 28 September 1912 when he married Frances Mary Williams at the Conwy Register Office. Both bride and groom gave their addresses as 3 Council Street, Llandudno. Robert was described as a general labourer. Their son Robert Douglas was born on 24 November 1912

Enlisting at Wrexham, William joined the 11th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers when it formed at Wrexham in November 1914. His regimental number was 14540. The battalion moved south and eventually ended up at Aldershot in June 1915. It landed in France in early September 1915 by which time Robert had been promoted to serjeant. At the end of October 1915, the battalion embarked at Marseilles for Salonika, arriving there in November 1915.

William Robert Hughes was killed in action in a part of Serbia now named Northern Macedonia, on 20 November 1916 aged 32. He was buried at Karasouli Military Cemetery, Polykastro, Greece. This cemetery was begun in September 1916 for use of casualty clearing stations on the Doiran front. Lake Doiran was a little to the north of the border with Greece.

 

Henry Daines Hutt

  • 20131, Lance Corporal, 14th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 26 August 1918, aged 24
  • Buried at Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval, France
  • CWGC registered (Son of Percy John and Agnes Hutt, of Clarence Villa, Llandrindod-Wells. Born at Llandudno)
  • Nephew by marriage of Charles Pryce Wilde

Henry Daines Hutt was born in Llandudno on 8 February 1894. His father, Percy John Hutt was a grocer who had set up business in Mostyn Street, Llandudno and his mother was Agnes Hutt, daughter of a prominent Llandudno businessman (draper and auctioneer), Benjamin Robert Daines. Henry was the fourth of five sons: Edward, Benson, Percy, Henry, and Norman. All the boys were born in Llandudno and the family lived at “Hayley House”, Church Walks. In 1899, Percy Hutt sold up and the family moved to Llandridnod Wells. In 1901 the family lived at “Penarth House”, Llandridnod Wells, Percy Hutt being described as an agent in wines and spirits. A daughter Anne had been born the previous year. From February 1905 to July 1908, Henry Hutt attended St. George’s National School in Llandudno – the register records him living with his grandmother, Mrs [Martha] Daines, at 136 Mostyn Street. Though the school register states that Henry left the area, he was recorded in 1911 as still living with his grandmother employed as a grocer’s apprentice.

Henry Hutt probably remained employed in Llandudno because he enlisted at the town into the Royal Welsh Fusiliers around November 1914. His regimental number was 20131 and he joined the 14th (Service) Battalion that was forming at the time at Llandudno. The 14th RWF was one of several battalions raised at Llandudno for the so-called “Welsh Army”, later known as the 38th (Welsh) Division. The battalion moved to Winchester in August 1915 and disembarked in France in December 1915. Henry was taken ill with tonsillitis on 25 June 1917 and attended No 12 Casualty Clearing Station. He was admitted on 3 July to No 18 General Hospital at Camiers (which at the time had just been taken over by the US Army) and was treated for eight days. He was discharged to his base depot on 6 August and posted back to the 14th RWF.

Henry Hutt was killed in action on 26 August 1918 aged 24 when the 14th RWF was involved in an offensive now known as the Battle of the Scarpe, a phase of the Battle of Arras 1918. The battalion had been ordered to advance towards Bazentin-le-Grand through Mametz Wood, where the 38th Division had received heavy casualties two years earlier during the Battle of the Somme. Henry Hutt was buried at what became known as Caterpillar Valley Cemetery which was initially a small cemetery containing just 25 graves, mainly of men of the 38th Division.

All five of the Hutt brothers fought in the Great War. Henry’s eldest brother, Edward Daines Hutt, was killed in action on 31 August 1917 in Palestine.

Comments are closed.