A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.


E

The Great War Project navigation

Overview  A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   R   S   T   W

 

Robert Sinclair Eccles

  • J/30761, Boy 1st Class, HMS Defence, Royal Navy
  • Killed or died as a direct result of enemy action, 31 May 1916, aged 17
  • Body not recovered for burial (Plymouth Naval Memorial)
  • CWGC registered (Son of Robert and Elizabeth Eccles, of Gt. Ormeshead Lighthouse, Llandudno)

Robert Sinclair Eccles, the son of Robert Eccles and his wife Elizabeth (née Work), was born at Llaneilian, Amlwch, Anglesey on 15 November 1898. He was known as “Bertie”. The family lived at Point Lynas Lighthouse where his father was 2nd Assistant Keeper (1st Assistant Keeper from 1901), employed by the Mersey Dock Board. Robert Eccles (senior) became keeper of the Ormeshead Lighthouse, Marine Drive, Llandudno in 1913.

Whether or not Bertie Eccles moved with his parents in 1913 is a little unclear for he gave his occupation on joining the Navy on 17 April 1914 as “Telegraph Anglesey Messenger.” He initially served at HMS Powerful, a training establishment at Devonport, as a boy 2nd class. He joined for a period of 12 years, effective from his future 18th birthday (15 November 1916). He trained on the wooden torpedo school ship HMS Defiance, also at Devonport.

Robert Eccles joined HMS Defence on 9 January 1915. HMS Defence was an armoured cruiser that had been commissioned in 1909. She had seen service on the Home Fleet, the China Station and in the Mediterranean before joining the Grand Fleet as its flagship at the end of 1914. HMS Defence was lost with all hands when it blew up during the Battle of Jutland on 31 May 1916. Thought to have disintegrated, the wreck of the Defence was found in 1984 and later designated as a protected place, being the resting place for about 900 men.

 

Cadwaladar (Walley) Edwards

  • 35026, Private, 13th Yorkshire Regiment
  • Died whilst a prisoner of war, 11 September 1918, aged 21
  • Buried at Niederzwehren Cemetery, Germany
  • CWGC registered (as W Edwards – no family details noted)

Cadwaladar Edwards was born on 18 August 1897 at Llandudno. His parents were John and Catherine Edwards. In 1911, the family of three lived at 26 Alexandra Terrace, Llandudno, John Edwards being employed as a plumber. In 1904, Walley was admitted to Lloyd Street School which he left in September 1905 to attend the new Dyffryn Road School. By 1911, the family had moved to 1 Roger Williams Yard, Back Madoc Street, Walley having four younger siblings: Tudno, Sam, Dilys and Blodwen. Walley left school in July 1911 as he approached his 14th birthday.

Walley joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers circa August 1916 having enlisted at Llandudno. His RWF regimental number was 43608. It is not clear where he did his infantry training and his first recorded battalion was the 13th (Service) Battalion RWF which had been in France since December 1915. He joined the battalion circa December 1916. On 30 July 1917, Walley received a severe gunshot wound to his back near Ypres. He was evacuated by No 14 Casualty Clearing Station, No 16 Ambulance Train and HMHS Essequiba to England. After recovery, he was sent back to France and was posted to the 15th (Service) Battalion RWF. He was later transferred to the 13th (Service) Battalion of the Alexandra, Princess of Wales’s Own (Yorkshire Regiment), also known as the Green Howard’s, with a new regimental number of 35026. The 13th Yorkshire’s was part of the 40th Division which suffered such heavy losses during the Battles of the Lys that it was reduced to a cadre. Amongst those losses was Walley Edwards who, according to German records, was captured on 10 April 1918 near Armentieres and taken to a prisoner of war camp at Münster – his home address was recorded as 15 Council Street, Llandudno. He was later transferred to a camp at Hamelin.

Walley Edwards worked on the land and died on 11 September 1918 aged 21 at Bad Lauterberg im Harz. Commonwealth War Grave Commission records indicate that he was originally buried at Bad Lauterberg Cemetery. In 1923, he was reinterred at Niederzwehren Cemetery, Kassel, Germany.

Some memorials list Cadwaladar’s first name as “Walter”. This was assumed because he was known as “Walley”.

 

Caradoc Edwards

Caradoc Edwards is named on the Llanrhos (Remainder of Parish) War Memorial. No soldier of that name has been found. Possibly Caradoc Evans RWF 63724.

 

David Edwards

  • 8408, Private, 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 30 October 1914, aged 28
  • No known grave (Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium)
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)
  • Nephew of Edwin Isaac Edwards

David Edwards, known as “Darkie”, was born in 1886 in Bangor. He was the son of Ellen Edwards and an unknown father. Ellen Edwards’ brother was Edwin Isaac Edwards (qv). David lived with his mother and grandmother at 22 Kyffin Square, Bangor. Confusingly, but understandably, he is described in the 1891 Census as a sibling of his mother. His mother married Francis Beswick in 1892. In 1901, David lived with his grandmother at 47 Kyffin Square, Bangor and described as a greengrocer’s assistant; his mother and stepfather lived at 1 Prospect Terrace, Llandudno.

In April 1903, at the age of 17 and described as an errand boy, David Edwards joined the Militia for the County of Carnarvon, specifically the 4th Battalion of the Royal Welch Fusiliers, for a term of six years. His regimental number was 3218. He served in the Militia until July 1904 when he joined the Regular Army, enlisting at Bangor to serve a short service engagement with the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. His new regimental number was 8408. A census return for April 1911 states his place of residence as India – the 2nd Battalion RWF had returned to India from Burma earlier that year. At the same time, his mother and stepfather were living at 19 Alexandra Road, Llandudno.

When the Great War began, David Edwards was on the reserve list, living with his mother and stepfather in Llandudno. He played half back for Llandudno Amateurs and worked at the gas works. David Edwards was recalled to his regiment and was embodied on 11 September 1914. The 1st Battalion had been in Malta on the outbreak of war but was immediately recalled, landing at Southampton on September 3, 1914. On 7 October, the battalion landed at Zeebrugge and David Edwards joined it on 27 October 1914.

After the First Battle of Ypres, David Edwards was declared missing and was included on a casualty list dated 13 December 1914. Later, he was declared as having been killed in action aged 28 and the date of his death was assumed as 30 October 1914. Having no known grave, David Edwards is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial at Ypres.

 

Edwin Isaac Edwards (Edward Edwards)

  • 33327, Private, 2nd Garrison Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Died of illness, 3 December 1915, aged 36
  • Buried at the Great Orme’s Head Cemetery
  • CWGC registered (Son of Robert and Emma Edwards, of 1 Minafon, Bangor; husband of Annie Edwards, of 5 Bodafon St, Llandudno)
  • Uncle of David Edwards
  • Brother-in-law of John Hughes (see note)
  • Father of Gwynfryn Evans (WW2 casualty)

Edwin Isaac Edwards was born in Bradford, Yorkshire in 1879. He was the son of a stonemason, Robert Edwards and Emma Edwards (née Defferd). In 1881, the family was living at 9 Little John Street, Lancaster and Edwin was the youngest of four brothers, the others being Robert, William and John. In 1891, the family, now headed by Emma, was living at 21 Kyffyn Square, Bangor. In 1901 Edwin (as Edward), a general labourer, was living with his sister Ellen (mother of David Edwards, qv) and her husband Frank Beswick, at 1 Prospect Terrace, Llandudno.

Edwin began his military career in the 1st Cheshire Royal Garrison Artillery (Volunteers). He converted to be a full-time soldier on 22 July 1902 when he signed up at Birkenhead for three years in the colours and nine years in the reserve of the Royal Field Artillery. His regimental number was 25491 and he joined at No 5 Depot at Athlone, Ireland on 24 July 1902. After his three years with the colours, which included 70 days in South Africa with the 44th Battery RFA, he transferred to the Reserve on 22 July 1905.

By 1911, Edwin Edwards was living in lodgings at “Glyn Dar”, Taliesin Street, Llandudno, working at the gasworks as a coal porter. Later that year, he married Annie Hughes (sister of John Hughes, qv, see note) at the Tabernacl Welsh Baptist Chapel and they lived at 11 Bodafon Street, Llandudno. They had two children: Gwynfryn on 22 December 1912 and Robert Isaac on 2 August 1915.

On 22 July 1914, Edwin re-engaged with the RFA to serve till 1916 and on 7 August 1914 he was mobilised at Athlone. He served with the 24th Reserve Battery but was discharged at Woolwich on 2 January 1915 as being physically unfit. Undeterred, on 23 August 1915, Edwin Edwards (as Edward Edwards) enlisted into the Royal Welsh Fusiliers at Llandudno for Home Service with a regimental number of 33327. He joined the regiment at its Wrexham depot on 26 August and was posted initially to the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion on 30 August. He was posted again to the 2nd Garrison Battalion on 11 November 1915. The battalion had formed at Wigan the previous month. Garrison Battalions were formed from soldiers who were unsuitable to fight in regular infantry battalions and were used to guard garrisons, often overseas, freeing regular battalions for active service. (The 2nd Garrison Battalion RWF moved to Cairo in April 1916.)

Edwin Edwards died at Llandudno on 3 December 1915 of stomach cancer aged 36. He was buried at the Great Orme’s Head Cemetery.

Annie Edwards married John Thomas in 1919.

Edwin Edwards’ eldest son Gwynfryn was a prisoner of war of the Japanese in the Second World War and was drowned on 18 September 1944 whilst in transit from Java to Malaya.

NOTE

The precise relationship between Annie Hughes and her “brother” John is unclear.

 

Robert E Edwards

  • 19509, Private, 13th Gloucestershire Regiment
  • Died from illness, 3 May 1915, aged 36
  • Buried at Great Malvern Cemetery
  • CWGC registered (Mrs E Edwards of 32 Provence Road, Bootle, Liverpool)

Robert E Edwards was born in Llandudno in 1879, the son of William and Mary Edwards. William Edwards was a plasterer and the family lived at “Rona House”, Mostyn Street, Llandudno. In 1891, the family lived at 21 Back Madoc Street, Robert being at school. Robert Edwards married Elizabeth Evans in 1899 and their son John William Edwards was born on 28 August 1900. In 1901, the family lived at 2 Emlyn Cottage, Back Caroline Street, Llandudno. Robert Edwards was described in the census as a journeyman baker and gave an age of 24 though he was only 21. Elizabeth Edwards was born on 25 February 1902. In 1911, the family lived at “Beechwood”, Chapel Street.

Robert Edwards enlisted into the 13th (Service) Battalion (Forest of Dean) (Pioneers) Gloucestershire Regiment at West Hartlepool on 17 March 1915. His regimental number was 19509. A Pioneer Battalion of the First World War should not be confused with the later Pioneer Corps. Pioneers were both infantrymen and trench diggers – strong physical men who received an extra tuppence a day. Coalminers were often recruited, in this case many from the Forest of Dean coalfield but also men from other coalfields including those in the Northeast where 260 were reportedly recruited.

The Regiment’s depot was at Malvern and even before the new battalion had been officially adopted by the War Office, Robert had died of heart failure aged 36 in Malvern Rural Hospital. He died on 3 May 1915 and was buried in Great Malvern Cemetery.

Elizabeth Edwards lived in Bootle in 1939. John William Edwards joined the RAF in 1918 and later became a policeman at Mold.

 

Sidney Albert Edwards

  • 54376, Lance Corporal, 17th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 29 October 1918, aged 21
  • Buried at Englefontaine British Cemetery, France
  • CWGC registered (Son of Samuel and E L Edwards, of 3 Tan-yr-Allt Cottages, Cwlach Rd, Llandudno)

Sidney Albert Edwards, the son of Samuel Edwards, a general labourer, and his wife Eleanor Louisa Edwards (née Williams), was born in Llandudno on 23 November 1896. In 1901, the family lived at “Ivy Cottage”, Old Road Llandudno though Sidney himself was staying with an uncle in Bootle. Sidney attended Great Orme Infants’ School until 1904 when he was transferred to St. George’s National School, his family address then being 3 Bryn Gwynt Terrace. Sidney left school in November 1910 and became an assistant fitter for the Llandudno Urban District Council for which his father now worked as a pipe jointer. The family’s address in 1911 was 3 Tan-yr-Allt Cottages, Cwlch Road. Sidney became a prominent member of the town’s band.

Sidney Edwards’ army record no longer exists. His first known regiment was the Welsh Horse Yeomanry, (Territorial Force), his regimental number being 1485. It is most likely that he joined the 3/1st WH, a recruiting and training regiment based at Newtown, in November 1915.  In April 1916, a draft of 160 NCOs and men (including Sidney Edwards and Robert Victor Davies [qv]) was sent to Ireland to reinforce the 6th Cavalry Reserve Regiment and help put down the Easter Rising in Dublin. By this time, the mounted Yeomanry had become something of an anachronism and with the passing of the Military Service Act of 1916, many men were “converted” to infantry and liable for overseas service. In the summer of 1916, still technically in the Welsh Horse, Sidney Edwards was at an infantry base depot in France. He was posted to the 19th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Welch Fusiliers which had only landed in France in early June 1916 with the 40th Division. His new regimental number was 54376. The 19th RWF was disbanded on 6 February 1918 and it is not known whether Sidney was transferred to the 17th RWF at this time or if he had been transferred earlier. When he was promoted to lance corporal is also not known.

Sidney Albert Edwards was killed in action 29 October 1918 aged 21. The war diary for the day records that the battalion was in the line at Englefontaine. Three companies raided the enemy trenches that morning and reported taking prisoners and killing between 60 and 70 Germans though without suffering casualties of their own including 10 other ranks killed. Sidney was buried at Englefontaine British Cemetery.

Sidney’s father, Samuel Evans, had joined the 14th RWF in November 1914. He survived the war and was medically discharged in 1919.

 

Francis William Elcock

  • DM2/151407, Private, Royal Army Service Corps (Mechanical Transport)
  • Died of illness, 12 February 1919, aged 22
  • Buried at Mons (Bergen) Communal Cemetery, Belgium
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)

Francis William Elcock, the son of Francis William Elcock and Elizabeth Williams, was born in Liverpool in 1897. The baptismal register for St. Philips’ Parish Church dated 1 June 1897 records that the family’s address was 129 Braler Street, Liverpool and that Francis Elcock (senior) was a greengrocer.  By 1901, the family was living at “Craig Side Cottage”, Llandudno and Francis (senior) was employed as a coachman/groom. Francis (junior) had two siblings: Margaret and Albert, both born in Llandudno. Albert died the following year. In 1911, Francis (senior) was described as a coachman at the Craigside Hydro Hotel, and both Francis (junior) and Margaret were at school. Records indicate that a Francis William Elcock married Elizabeth Williams on 14 January 1915. However, the wedding was between Francis Elcock (senior), stated to be a bachelor, and Elizabeth Williams, a spinster.

Francis William Elcock’s army record no longer exists. Judging from his serial number of DM2/151407, he enlisted in December 1915, joining the Army Service Corps Mechanical Transport at Grove Park, Lewisham. Soldiers with close regimental numbers disembarked in France in March 1916. His last posting saw him attached to the 60th Siege Battery Ammunition Column. This battery of the Royal Garrison Artillery had formed in September 1915 and by November 1918 it had been equipped with four six-inch guns, serving in the 1st Army.

Francis William Elcock died of influenza during the pandemic at No 1 Casualty Clearing Station, Mons, Belgium on 26 February 1919. He was buried initially at Mons British Cemetery but was later reinterred at Mons (Bergen) Communal Cemetery.

 

John Ellis, John R Ellis, John Rowland Ellis

See John Rowland-Ellis.

 

Raymond Ellis

  • Mersey Division Z/629, Able Seaman, HMS Pembroke, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
  • Killed during an air raid, 3 September 1917, aged 18
  • Buried at Gillingham (Woodlands) Cemetery, Kent
  • CWGC registered (Son of Thomas and Elizabeth Ellis, of 1 Hillcrest Rd, Deganwy, Llandudno)
  • Deganwy casualty

Raymond Ellis was last of the 11 children born to Thomas Ellis and his wife Elizabeth Ellis (née Moseley). Thomas Ellis had been a professional soldier, serving in the 36th Regiment of Foot/2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment, having seen service in India and Ireland. After retiring from the army, Thomas Ellis was employed as an inspector at a slate quarry near Bangor and Raymond was born on 10 August 1898. In 1911, the family including Raymond and three of his sisters lived at “Mordon “, Deganwy; Thomas Ellis was employed as a caretaker at a telephone exchange. Raymond was later employed as a switchboard mechanic.

Claiming to be a year older than he actually was, Raymond Ellis joined the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve on 23 September 1915 for a three-year engagement, his service number being Z/629 in the Mersey Division. Documents indicate that he was originally slated as an infantryman in the Royal Naval Division but on 28 March 1916, he was posted to HMS Victory 1 (Portsmouth). He was posted to HMS Wallington (Immingham) on 8 April 1916 and specifically the trawler Waveney from 1 August 1916. On 17 July 1917, Raymond was posted to HMS Pembroke (Chatham).

When the barrack accommodation blocks were full, the Chatham Drill Hall or “Drill Shed” was used for overflow accommodation. On the night of Monday, 3 September 1917, the Drill Hall was being used as an overflow dormitory for around 900 naval ratings. At about 11.00 pm, it suffered two hits from bombs dropped by German Gotha aeroplanes resulting in the loss of some 130 lives, including Able Seaman Raymond Ellis. The loss of life was out of all proportion to the size of the bombs because the glass ceiling of the building collapsed showering the ratings with shards of heavy glass. Raymond was aged 18 and was buried at Gillingham (Woodlands) Cemetery, Kent. His grave is marked by a naval slate headstone which was used for naval shore burials, pre-dating the standard War Grave Commission headstones.

 

Arthur Edward Evans

  • 16068, Corporal, 13th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 10 July 1916, aged 26
  • Buried at Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval, France
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)
  • Deganwy (& Llandudno) casualty
    • Not on Llandudno’s Roll of Honour
    • Not on Llandudno War Memorial
    • Named in the Memorial Chapel of Holy Trinity Church

Arthur Edward Evans, the Son of George Frederick Evans and his wife, Emma Evans (née Podmore), was born in Llandudno on 28 July 1889. George Evans was a jeweller from Birmingham and had moved to Llandudno circa 1888. By 1891, the family was living at 1 Min-y-don Cottages, Abbey Road, Arthur being recorded as having four older siblings. Arthur originally attended Lloyd Street School but transferred to St. George’s National School in 1897, leaving in 1903. George Evans died early in 1911 and the Census for that year records that Arthur and his mother Emma were living at 1 Penmorfa; Arthur working as a shop assistant for a greengrocer.

In October 1914, Arthur Evans joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers at Conwy. He gave his place of birth as Llandudno but his home as at Deganwy. Given the regimental number of 16068, he was posted to the 13th (Service) Battalion. The 13th RWF, had formed at Rhyl on 3 September 1914 by the Denbigh and Flint Territorial Force Association but was transferred to the Welsh National Executive Committee on 10 October 1914 as part as the short-lived “Welsh Army”, moving to Llandudno. In August 1915, the 13th RWF, now under the orders of the 38th (Welsh) Division, moved to Winchester for final training, disembarking in France on 1 December 1915.

Corporal Arthur Edward Evans was killed in action on 11 August 1916 aged 26 when the 38th (Welsh) Division attacked Mametz Wood during the Battle of the Somme. He was buried near the southern edge of Mametz Wood but was later reinterred at Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval, France.

NOTE

Although Arthur Evans was living with his sister in Deganwy when he joined up, he had been born and spent all but two years of his life living in Llandudno. His eventual inclusion in Holy Trinity Church suggests that he was considered a Llandudno casualty.

 

Caradoc Evans (RWF 267970)

  • 267970, Corporal, 23rd Royal Welsh Fusiliers (Territorial Force) attached 53rd Cheshire Regiment
  • Died of illness, 30 June 1918, aged 19
  • Buried at the Great Orme’s Head Cemetery
  • CWGC registered (Youngest son of Ellen Evans, of 9 Charlton St, Llandudno, and the late John Evans)

Caradoc Evans, born on 13 December 1898, was the son of John and Ellen Evans. In 1901 the family lived at 25 Madoc Street, Llandudno, John Evans being employed as a stonemason. Caradoc was recorded as having four siblings, three elder and one younger. Later that year, Caradoc attended Lloyd Street School and in 1911 obtained a scholarship to John Bright County Grammar School, his address being 2 Leonard Terrace, Charlton Street, Llandudno where his widowed mother was a boarding/lodging house keeper. Before the war, he was employed by Mr Smith, dyer and cleaner, of Mostyn Street.

On 5 February 1915, Caradoc Evans joined the army. He claimed to be employed as a messenger aged 19. His actual age was 16 and two months. Joining at Llandudno, he was allocated to the 17th (Service) Battalion (2nd North Wales) Royal Welsh Fusiliers that was forming at the time, becoming part of the 113th Brigade, 38th (Welsh) Division. His regimental number was 25148. In spite of his youth, Caradoc was appointed lance corporal on 17 May 1915. The battalion moved to Winchester in August 1915 and disembarked in France in December 1915.

At a location and a date unknown, Caradoc Evans received a bullet injury to the radial nerve in his left forearm and he was evacuated to England, being admitted to hospital on 8 September 1916. When he had recovered, he was posted to the 2/6th RWF, a second line unit of the Territorial Force, on 23 November 1916. The battalion had just moved to Southwold and Caradoc had a new regimental number of 5850 which was changed in 1917 to 267970. On 21 July 1917, he was posted to the 23rd Battalion RWF (TF) which carried out home defence duties in Norfolk. He was promoted to acting corporal on 23 December 1917. On a date unknown, Caradoc Evans was attached to the 53rd (Young Soldier) Battalion of the Cheshire Regiment at Kinmel Park, Rhyl. Whilst he was at Kinmel Park, he contracted appendicitis and died of peritonitis on 30 June 1918. He was buried in his father’s grave at the Great Orme’s Head Cemetery.

 

Caradoc Evans (RWF 63724)

  • 63724, Private, 24th (Denbighshire Yeomanry) Royal Welsh Fusiliers (Territorial Force)
  • Died of wounds after discharge, 15 May 1920, aged 27
  • Buried at the Great Orme’s Head Cemetery
  • CWGC registered (Son of Philip Evans, of 5 Pleasant St, Craig-y-don, Llandudno, and the late Elizabeth Evans)

Caradoc Evans, the son of Phillip Evans and his wife Elizabeth Evans (née Hughes), was born in Llandudno on 29 January 1893. In 1891, two years before Caradoc was born, the family lived at 1 Church Walks, Llandudno, Phillip Evans being employed as a general labourer. When Caradoc was admitted to St. George’s School in 1896, the family’s address was “Shaftesbury House” and in 1899 it was Victoria Street, Craig-y-Don. In 1901, the address was as 3 Pleasant Street, Craig-y-Don, Caradoc having five elder brothers (Elias, Llewellyn, Arthur, Ivor and Hywel) and a younger sister, Gwladys. Caradoc transferred to Craig-y-Don New School in September 1908. By 1911, he had left school and become a butcher’s porter.

Caradoc Evans joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers with a regimental number of 63724. A soldier with a consecutive number (725) attested in December 1915 and was called up in August 1916, joining the 3rd (Reserve) RWF at Litherland. On 15 April 1917, the troopship HMS Arcadian was en route from Salonika to Alexandria when it was sunk by a torpedo fired by the German U-boat SM UC-74 near the island of Milos with the loss of 279 lives of the 1335 on board. Some who lost their lives were soldiers of the Royal Welch Fusiliers being sent to Egypt as reinforcements. Caradoc Evans was on board the Arcadian when it was torpedoed but was rescued unhurt. His new battalion on arriving in Egypt was the 24th (Denbighshire Yeomanry) RWF. The 24th RWF was a Territorial Force battalion that had formed in Egypt on 1 March 1917 from former hussars of the Denbighshire Yeomanry who had been converted to infantry and employed on Suez Canal defences. Reinforcements were needed to bring the battalion up to the strength of an infantry battalion and Caradoc Evans was one of those reinforcements. The battalion came under the orders of the 231st Brigade, 74th (Yeomanry) Division. The division’s first action was the Second Battle of Gaza (17-19 April 1917). Caradoc Evans was wounded in the head and limbs, losing his left eye, and was hospitalised at Port Said. A memorandum dated 14 July 1917 states that Caradoc Evans was still dangerously ill. He was repatriated and then discharged on 19 March 1918. He was awarded a Silver War Badge number 355384.

Caradoc Evans died on 15 May 1920 aged 27 at the Ministry of Pensions Hospital, Bangor of cerebral palsy and meningitis, complications of the gunshot wound to his head, and he was buried at the Great Orme’s Head Cemetery. His address on the death certificate was given as 3 Pleasant Street, Craig-y-Don and his profession as a bathman at a hotel. Local newspaper reports of the time state that he had previously been employed at the Craigside Hydro Hotel.

 

Daniel Evans

  • 310581, Gunner, Welsh (Carnarvonshire) Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery (Territorial Force)
  • Died of illness after exposure to poison gas, 2 October 1919, aged 25
  • Buried at Llanrhos Churchyard
  • CWGC registered (Son of Hugh and Mary Evans, of 2 Belle Vue Terrace, Great Orme’s Head, Llandudno)

Daniel Evans, the son of Hugh Thomas Evans, a cab driver, and his wife Mary Evans (née Evans), was born on 13 June 1894 at Llandudno. In 1901, the family, which included six children, lived at 3 Penyffordd Terrace, Llandudno. Daniel attended Bodarfon National School, Lloyd Street School, and Dyffryn Road School. By 1911 the family lived at 2 Prospect Terrace, Great Orme’s Head, Daniel being a chemist’s errand boy.

Daniel was a grocer’s carter on 5 November 1912 when he joined the Royal Navy for an engagement of 12 years. His number was K16732. His first posting was to HMS Vivid II, the Stokers and Engine Room Artificers’ School at Devonport in the rank of stoker II. His first ship was HMS Amphion, an Active-class scout cruiser completed in 1913 and assigned to the First Fleet. Daniel joined the Amphion on 2 April 1913 and was promoted to stoker I on 14 February 1914. When the Great War began, Amphion was a flotilla leader based at Harwich but on 6 August 1914 it struck a mine in the Thames Estuary and was the first ship of the Royal Navy to be sunk in the war. Though 132 crewmen were killed, Daniel Evans was rescued. He spent some time at Devonport and Portsmouth but on 16 January 1915, he was posted to HMS Milne, an M-class destroyer at Harwich. He was posted back to Devonport on 5 June 1915 and invalided out of the Navy on 4 August 1915 diagnosed with chorea.

Invalid or not, Daniel Evans proceeded to join the Royal Garrison Artillery, specifically the Welsh (Carnarvonshire) Battery of the Territorial Force. His service record no longer survives but it is elsewhere recorded that he enlisted on 25 October 1915 in the rank of gunner; his original regimental number is unknown but in 1917 it became 310581. He probably did his training with the 2/1st Battery and was later sent to France, joining the 1/1st Battery which had been in France since March 1916. His active service is unknown though Commonwealth War Grave Commission records state that he suffered a gas attack.

Daniel Evans was medically discharged on the 31 January 1919. He was awarded a Silver War Badge No B109421 on 19 February 1919. He died on 2 October 1919 at the Llandudno Cottage Hospital aged 25 having suffered mitral stenosis which had led to heart failure. His address given on his death certificate was 2 Belle Vue Terrace, Great Orme, Llandudno. He was buried at Llanrhos Churchyard.

 

David Evans

  • G/53513, Private, 1/8th Duke of Cambridge’s Own (Middlesex) Regiment (Territorial Force)
  • Killed in action, 24 August 1918, aged 32
  • Buried at Douchy-les-Ayette British Cemetery, France
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)

David Evans, the son of Evan Evans, a stonemason, and his wife Winifred Evans (née Roberts), was born in Llandudno on 13 November 1885. In 1891, the family lived at “Holywell House”, Old Road, Llandudno. David attended St. George’s National School and Lloyd Street School, leaving the latter in 1899. In 1901, the family lived at 8 Winllan Road. On 12 February 1910, David married Jesse Elizabeth Collard at Chorlton Registry Office. He gave his address as 3 Church Street, Higher Broughton, Salford and gave his occupation as a bricklayer. The following year the family was recorded as living at 50 Turner Street, Higher Broughton. The couple’s child Harold Clifford Evans was born on 11 September 1914.

David Evans enlisted at Ashton-under-Lyne in Lancashire. His given residence was in Salford. His first recorded battalion was the 4th Manchester Regiment and his service number of 39966 indicates that it was issued circa early October 1916. The 4th Manchester’s was a Special Reserve Battalion which had formed at Ashton-under-Lyne in 1914, becoming part of the Humber Garrison. David disembarked in France in March 1918, joining “H” Infantry Base Depot at Étaples. From here he was transferred to the 1/8th Duke of Cambridge’s Own (Middlesex) Regiment, (Territorial Force) which he joined on 26 March with a new serial number of G/53513.

David Evans was killed in action on 24 August 1918 aged 32. His battalion had been in the line about three miles south of Arras before advancing with considerable casualties. David was buried at Ransart MDS Cemetery but after the war was reinterred at Douchy-les-Ayette British Cemetery.

Jesse Evans married George A Moore in 1919. She died in Manchester in 1976.

 

Donald Goulding Evans

  • 44954, Private, 1/5th Northumberland Fusiliers (Territorial Force)
  • Died of wounds, 29 October 1917, aged 23
  • Buried at Dozinghem Military Cemetery, Belgium
  • CWGC registered (Mr TL Evans, “Fiskerton”, Church Walks, Llandudno)

Donald Goulding Evans was born in Llandudno on 19 November 1893. He was the son of (Thomas) Lincoln Evans, a house painter, and his wife Sarah Evans (née Goulding). In 1901, the family lived at “Fiskerton”, Deganwy Street, Llandudno. Donald attended St. George’s School, transferring to Lloyd Street School in September 1906. He left school three years later. By 1911, the family had moved to “Fiskerton”, Church Walks – Donald being described as an apprentice house painter and decorator. Lincoln Evans became a councillor on the Llandudno Urban District Council.

On 22 November 1915, Donald Evans and David Hobson (qv) volunteered at Bangor and joined the 3/1st Welsh Divisional Cyclist Company. The 1st Welsh Divisional Cyclist Company had formed in May-June 1915 and was attached to the 53rd (1st Welsh) Division, (Territorial Force). A second-line company was then formed, the 2/1st becoming attached to the 68th (2nd Welsh) Division. Donald and David joined the third-line company, the 3/1st at Stockport on 24 November 1915 and were given the regimental numbers 488 and 489 respectively. On 1 November 1916, Donald Evans and David Hobson were posted to the Army Cyclist Corps Training Centre at Chiseldon where they were joined by others including William Davies (NF), Frederick Foulkes, Robert Roberts and William Glyndwr Owen (Penrhynside) (all qv). All but Frederick Foulkes (who was underaged) disembarked in France on 11 December 1916 and were transferred to the Northumberland Fusiliers that same day. Donald Evans’ new regimental number was 44954. The five ex-cyclists joined the 19th Battalion on 15 December 1916. David Hobson was evacuated to England in July 1917 and the other four ex-cyclists were posted to the 1/5th Battalion NF, (Territorial Force) on 11 October 1917, 15 days before the Second Battle of Passchendaele in order to bring the 1/5th up to strength.

On 26 October 1917, the 1/5th NF took part in a disastrous diversionary attack during the battle. Robert Roberts was killed in action on that day and Donald Evans and William Davies were wounded. William Glyndwr Owen was listed as missing. Donald Goulding Evans died of his wounds on 29 October 1917, aged 23, at 47 Casualty Clearing Station and was buried at the nearby Dozinghem Military Cemetery.

 

Edward Evans

  • 160396, Driver, B Battery, 298th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery (Territorial Force)
  • Killed in action, 30 November 1917 aged 21
  • Buried at Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery, Belgium
  • CWGC registered (Son of Ann Parry of 3 Mount Pleasant, Penrhynside, Llandudno, Caernarvonshire)
  • Penrhynside casualty

Edward Evans, the son of Ann Evans and an unknown father was born in Llandudno in 1896. In 1901, the census recorded Ann Evans as a domestic servant living in Madoc Street, Llandudno whilst Edward was a boarder at Tyn-y-Coed Terrace. Ann Evans married Frederick Parry in 1903 and their daughter Ellen Parry was born in 1908. In 1911, the family including Edward and his older brother Thomas were living at 5 Mount Pleasant, Penrhyn Side.

Edward Evans joined the Royal Field Artillery with serial number of 160396. Unfortunately, his service record no longer exists but a soldier with a consecutive number (397) attested on 12 December 1915. Nothing is known about Edward Evans’ service in the Artillery except that he was killed in action on 30 November 1917 aged 21 while serving as a driver with B Battery of the 298th Brigade. Part of the 59th Division, the 298th Brigade had been formed in February 1915 as part of the 2nd Line of the Territorial Force and had landed in France in April 1917. Edward was buried at Vlamertinghe New Military Cemetery, Belgium – about three miles west of Ypres.

 

Goronwy Evans

  • 310555, Gunner, 117th (Siege) Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery
  • Died of wounds, 28 October 1917, aged 20
  • Buried at Ypres Reservoir Cemetery, Belgium
  • CWGC registered (Son of Daniel and Jane Evans of “Wiga”, Bryn Pydew, Llandudno Junction)
  • Bryn Pydew casualty
    • Penrhynside War Memorial

Goronwy Evans, the son of Daniel Evans, a shoemaker,  and his wife Jane Evans (née Hughes) was born at Llangystennin on 26 March 1897. In 1901, Daniel Evans, now a widower lived at “Wigau”, Llangystennin with was Goronwy and his brother Cystennin. Daniel married Jane Lewis in 1902. In 1911 the family still lived at Llangystennin – Goronwy was recorded as being at school. He later became a plumber.

Goronwy Evans enlisted at Bangor into the 2/1st Welsh (Carnarvonshire) Battery of the Royal Garrison Artillery (Territorial Force) on 14 September 1915. He was given the rank of gunner and an unknown regimental number (later 310555). From 3 April 1917, he served on the Western Front with the 1/1st Welsh (Carnarvonshire) Heavy Battery, RGA (TF).

Some records indicate that this was his unit when he died of wounds at 2 Australian Field Ambulance on 28 October 1917. Others indicate that he was serving with the 117th (Siege) Battery, RGA. The 117th Battery was not part of the Territorial Force and it is possible that he had been attached or transferred to that unit. Commonwealth War Grave Commission records indicate that of the 33 men listed to having been killed whilst serving with the 117th Battery, almost a half were killed in October 1917. Three (Goronwy, Lieutenant P H Jervois and Serjeant JG Cragg) died on 28 October. No 2 Australian Field Ambulance was assigned to the 1st Australian Division which fought in the Second Battle of Passchendaele. The three were buried in adjoining plots at Ypres Reservoir Cemetery, Belgium.

 

John Evans

  • 491855, Private, 1/13th London Regiment (Territorial Force)
  • Died of wounds, 18 April 1917, aged 33
  • Buried at London Cemetery, Neuville-Vitasse, France
  • CWGC registered as 4756 (Son of Hugh Evans, of “Syene”, Great Ormes Rd, West Shore, Llandudno)
  • Brother of Joshua Evans

John Evans and his twin brother Robert were born at Tal-y-cafn Terrace, Eglwysbach on 19 December 1883. Their parents were Hugh Evans, a labourer, and Anne Evans (née Nash). In 1901, the family lived at “Clwt Farm”, Eglwysbach, Hugh Evans being an agricultural labourer.  John and Robert’s siblings were Elizabeth J, Maggie, Hugh and Joshua (qv). Ten years later, the family lived at “Hardwicke House”, Church Walks, Llandudno but no record for that year has been found of John. However, in 1911 John Evans was recorded as a footman at “Coates Lodge”, Cirencester. He is also reported as having worked for Pierce Bros grocers at Liverpool House, Llandudno.

John Evans later lived in Warwick Square, London. His military record no longer exists but judging from the records of other soldiers, he probably volunteered at the end of 1915 and was mobilised in March 1916 into the 3/13th Battalion (the reserve battalion) of the London Regiment which was based at Winchester. This regiment consisted entirely of Territorial Force battalions and John Evans’ regimental number was 4756. On 8 April 1916, the 3/13th Battalion was renamed the 13th Reserve Battalion. John Evans disembarked in France on 20 August 1916 and was posted to the 1/13th (County of London) Battalion (Kensington). Sometime in 1917, John Evans received the new regimental number of 491855.

John Evans was wounded in action near Wancourt, three miles south east of Arras and died on 18 April 1917 aged 33. The London Division had been engaged in heavy fighting during the Battle of Arras since 9 April. He was buried at Wancourt Road but was later reinterred in the nearby London Cemetery, Neuville-Vitasse, France. The Commonwealth War Grave Commission records John Evans with his old serial number of 4756. It is quite possible that his identity discs had not been updated at the time of his death.

 

John Jones Evans

  • 33447, Private, Agricultural Company, Norfolk Regiment
  • Later 240753, Private, Labour Corps
  • Died of illness after discharge, 12 February 1919, aged 36
  • Buried at the Great Orme’s Head Cemetery
  • CWGC registered (Son of David Evans, of No 4 Cottage, Victoria Yard, Back Madoc St, Llandudno)

John Jones Evans, the son of David and Catherine Evans, was born at Llandudno on 9 December 1882. His father was a baker and the family’s home was at “Galloway Cottage”, Bodafon Row, Llandudno. In 1891, John had three siblings: William, Robert, and Sarah. John attended Lloyd Street School which he left in June 1896. In 1901, John was a general labourer and boarded at “Cromwell House”, Old Road, Llandudno. On 20 November 1903, John married Cecilia Maude Kaye at St. George’s Parish Church, Llandudno. The couple adopted two children: Richard Ivor Davies and Freda Millicent Goulding. The Census of Wales for 1911 records the couple and Richard Ivor living at “Trefriw Cottage”, James Street, Llandudno; John was described as a labourer/gardener working for the town council. He later became a lavatory attendant.

In 1916, John Evans was conscripted under the Military Service Act. At a medical examination in October 1916 it was noted that John had a slight left inguinal hernia and he was categorised as Class B1. His acceptance was made at Wrexham on 16 November 1916 but because of his medical category, he was posted to the second line 2/6th Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, (Territorial Force), which was stationed at Southwold, joining the unit on 28 October 1916. His original regimental number is unknown, but this was changed to 267824. In early 1917, the army was demanding that it could conscript an additional 30,000 agricultural workers. In order that this could go ahead, labour had to be sought to replace them so that the 1917 harvest could be gathered in. The answer was the formation of agricultural companies attached to existing regiments. John Evans was thus transferred to the Agricultural Company of the Depot of the Norfolk Regiment, his new regimental number being 33447. In June 1917, the agricultural companies were transferred to the newly formed Labour Corps and their soldiers given new regimental numbers: John Evans’ new number being 240753. It cannot be for certain that John was employed on agricultural duties as these companies had a number of administrative personnel.

John Jones Evans died of influenza and cardiac failure whilst on demobilisation leave at “Trefrew Cottage”, Llandudno on 12 February 1919 aged 36. Sadly, his wife Cecilia died of the same causes just two days later. John and Cecilia were both buried at the Great Orme’s Head Cemetery.

Though John Jones Evans’ last unit was an agricultural company of the Labour Corps, he is commemorated as a soldier of the Norfolk Regiment, a unit in which he was officially established for only a short period. This is because the Labour Corps was not regarded in a particularly heroic light and its fallen were remembered as members of their previous regiments, should they had had one.

 

Joshua Evans (aka John Evans)

  • L/9999, Sergeant, 504th Battery, Royal Field Artillery
  • Killed in action, 29 October 1917, aged 26
  • Buried at Bleuet Farm Cemetery, Ypres, Belgium
  • CWGC registered (Husband of E Chambers [formerly Evans], of 28 Crescent Rd, Cheetham Hill, Manchester)
  • Brother of John Evans

Joshua Evans, the son of an agricultural labourer, Hugh Evans and his wife Anne Evans (née Nash) was born at Eglwysbach on 25 February 1891. That year, the family, including six children: Elizabeth J, Mary, twins Robert & John (qv), Maggie, Hugh and Joshua, lived at “Clwt Farm”, Eglwysbach. The family moved to Llandudno for the register for St. George’s National School for November 1896 records Joshua’s address as “Bay View Terrace”, Llandudno. In 1901, the family lived at “Hardwick House”, Church Walks, Llandudno – Hugh was a general labourer. Joshua left school in March 1908 to work at the Post Office. He later worked at Pierce Bros grocery in Upper Mostyn Street before moving to Manchester. By 1911, he was a shop assistant, boarding at 32 Bickley Street, Moss Side.

On 15 March 1915, Joshua enlisted into the Royal Field Artillery at Manchester though he now used the name John Evans. This is confusing because his brother John Evans was still alive and was called up the following year. Joshua/John was given the regimental number of L/9999 and he joined his unit at St. Anne’s on Sea.

On 1 June 1915, Joshua (as John) married Edith Durden at St. Mark’s Church, Cheetham; he gave his age as 27 though he was in fact 24 – both gave their residence as 28 Crescent Road, Cheetham Hill, Manchester. Joshua/John’s father Hugh Evans signed the marriage certificate as a witness and his signature is identical with the signature on his 1911 Census return. This confirms that Joshua Evans used the name John.

Little is known of Joshua/John’s service though it is recorded that he disembarked in France on 28 November 1915 with the rank of bombardier. In the spring of 1916, the couple had a son, John W Evans. The local press for 10 November 1916 reported that Private [sic] Joshua Evans was undergoing treatment at a Bristol hospital for wounds received at the front. At a date unknown, Joshua Evans returned to France. Early in 1917, the infant John W Evans died.

Edith Evan’s loss was compounded when her husband, now a sergeant with the 504th Battery, RFA, was killed in action on 28 October 1917 aged 26. He was buried at Bleuet Farm Cemetery near Ypres in Belgium. Bleuet Farm was a dressing station during the 1917 Allied offensive, being in use from June to December 1917.

Joshua’s brother, John Evans had died of wounds on 18 April 1917.

Edith Evans married Albert Chambers in 1921. The couple resided at Edith’s old address of 28 Crescent Road, Cheetham Hill. She died in 1962.

 

Stephen Evans

  • 40849, Serjeant, 10th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 8 April 1917, aged 30
  • No known grave (Arras Memorial, France)
  • CWGC registered (Son of David and Elizabeth Evans, of 21 New St, Abergele, Denbighshire)

Stephen Evans was born at Abergele in 1886. He was the son of David Evans, a stonemason, and his wife Elizabeth. In 1891, the family lived at 9 Jenkin Street, Abergele. Ten years later, the family lived at 21 New Street; Stephen recorded as a shop boy. At a date unknown, Stephen joined the Carnarvonshire Constabulary and was PC 39 at Llandudno. The 1911 Census for Wales records him on secondment to Barry Docks – there was a great deal of unrest in South Wales in the period 1910 to 1911.

Stephen Evans volunteered to join the army at the end of 1915. This was just before conscription was brought in. He was given a day’s pay and put in the Reserve. His official date of enlistment was 5 February 1916, but he did not join his first unit, the 22nd (Reserve) Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers until 12 May 1916. His regimental number was 40849. During his time with the 22nd, he was promoted to lance serjeant. On 28 August 1916, he joined the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion RWF at Litherland. He embarked for France on 15 September 1916 and was posted to the 10th (Service) Battalion RWF which he joined on 26 September 1916. On 30 December 1916, Stephen Evans was promoted to serjeant.

Stephen Evans was killed in action on Easter Sunday, 8 April 1917 during the First Battle of the Scarpe, a phase of the Battle of Arras 1917, aged 30. He has no known grave.

 

Thomas Evans

  • 15529, Private, 10th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 17 February 1916, aged 22
  • No known grave (Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium)
  • CWGC registered (Son of Ellis and Ellen Evans, of 1 Cromlech Rd, Llandudno, Carnarvonshire)

Thomas Evans, known as Tommy, was born in Llandudno on 1 August 1893. He was the son of a coal yard labourer, Ellis Evans and his wife Ellen. In 1901 the family of eight lived at 5 Hyddfryd Cottages. Thomas is recorded as having attended St. George’s National School which he left in June 1907. In 1911, the family was living at 1 Maes-y-facrell, Great Orme’s Head. Thomas worked at a beer-bottling store.

In September 1914, Thomas Evans enlisted into the Royal Welsh Fusiliers at Llandudno. He probably joined the army at the Depot at Wrexham. With a service number of 15529, he was posted to the 10th Battalion RWF, a Service (ie New Army) Battalion that officially formed at Wrexham on 16 October 1914. After training at various locations in England, it landed at Boulogne on 27 September 1915.

On 17 February 1916, the battalion was holding the line at Popheringhe, a little to the east of Ypres. Thomas Evans was one of 20 officers and other ranks of the battalion killed that day. He was aged 22 and his body was never recovered. He is commemorated upon the Menin Gate Memorial at Ypres.

 

William Rowland Evans

  • Mersey Division Z/792, Able Seaman, Howe Bn, 63rd (Royal Naval) Division, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
  • Killed in action, 26 October 1917, aged 24
  • No known grave (Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium)
  • CWGC registered (Son of Robert and Catherine Evans, of Mount Olives, Augusta St, Llandudno)

William Rowland Evans, the son of Robert Evans and Catherine Evans was born in Llandudno on 26 November 1892. In 1901, the family lived at “Mount Olives”, Augusta Street, Robert Evans being employed as a joiner. William attended Lloyd Street National School which he left in March 1907 to become a house painter.

William volunteered to join the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve at the end of 1915, just before conscription was introduced. Why he volunteered for the navy is unknown but if he imagined that it might keep him out of the trenches, then his plan was thwarted because he was enlisted into the Royal Naval Division. The RND was an infantry division, formed at the outbreak of the war from Royal Navy and Royal Marine reservists and volunteers who were not required for service at sea. Following many losses, the division was transferred to the British Army as the 63rd (Royal Naval) Division, fighting on the Western Front until the end of the war. William Evans enlisted on 18 November 1915, given a service number of Mersey Z/792 and was trained to operate the Stokes gun, a type of trench mortar. He joined the Howe Battalion in France on 10 July 1916. He spent some time later that year at the infantry base depot at Calais for dental treatment and was evacuated to the UK on 22 January 1917 with cellulitis of the left foot and was admitted to Bethnal Green Military Hospital. He was drafted again for France on 11 September 1917 and rejoined Howe Battalion on 27 September 1917.

William Rowland Evans was killed in action on 26 October 1917, the first day of the Second Battle of Passchendaele, aged 24. He has no known grave.

 

Guy Everingham (Guy E D Jukes)

  • Second Lieutenant, No 16 Sqn, Royal Flying Corps
  • Killed in action, 8 April 1917, aged 22
  • Buried at Bois-Carré British Cemetery, Thelus, France
  • CWGC registered (Son of William and Patricia F Everingham; husband of Gladys A Everingham, of Lynwood, St. David’s Place, Llandudno. His brother Robin also fell)
  • Not from Llandudno, however
    • Married Llandudno girl in Holy Trinity Church 48 days before being killed
    • Memorial in St. Tudno’s Churchyard

Guy was born Guy Everingham Davenport Jukes at Barry, Glamorganshire on 28 June 1894 to William Webb Jukes and his wife Patricia Florence Everingham Jukes (née Davenport). In 1898, the family’s address was 10 The Walk, Cardiff. In 1901, the family lived at Tynemouth and Guy was recorded as having a brother Robin and a sister Patricia. In 1911, Guy’s mother was living in Cardiff as Patricia Wormald, “married” to Thomas Wormald. Guy was living as Guy Everingham Wormald in Newtown, Montgomeryshire where he was a motor mechanic.

Guy enlisted into the 13th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in October 1914. His regimental number was 16838. He was a corporal when gazetted as a second lieutenant on 25 February 1915. He disembarked in France on 10 March 1916 serving first with the battalion and later as bombing officer in the 113th Trench Mortar Battery. He was attached to the Royal flying Corps in September 1916. Whilst on leave on 19 February 1917, Guy married Gwladus Annie Brown at Holy Trinity Church, Llandudno.

Guy Everingham was killed in action aged 22 on Easter Sunday, 8 April 1917 whilst an observer on No 16 Sqn RFC. He was killed alongside his pilot, Second Lieutenant Keith Ingleby MacKenzie, whilst photographing the German lines prior to the Battle of Arras, their BE2g having been shot down by Baron von Richthofen – his 39th victory. They were buried by the Germans to the south west of the village of Vimy but were reinterred in 1919, at Bois-Carré British Cemetery, Thelus.

The probate calendar for November 1917 records Guy’s address in Colwyn Bay which is where his mother then resided. Probate was granted to his widow Gwladus who was remarried two years later to Bertie Edward Matthews in Laughton. She died in 1951.

NOTE

Had Gwladus not remarried in 1919, then Guy would have appeared on the Llandudno memorials.

Comments are closed.