Williams, Morgan Scoltock

If you can add any information about this soldier, please use the comment form at the bottom of this page.

If you would like to be informed of any additions or amendments to The Great War Project, please join our Facebook group.

The Great War Project navigation

Overview   A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   R   S   T   W

Morgan Scoltock Williams

M/315439, Private, Army Service Corps (MT)
Died of illness, 17 May 1917, aged 23
Buried at Llanrhos Churchyard

CWGC registered (no family details)

Not on Llandudno memorials

Morgan Scoltock Williams was born in Llandudno, spent his early life in the town and is buried at Llanrhos Churchyard. He was the son and grandson of early prominent citizens of Llandudno. He is not remembered on any of the Llandudno memorials though he has far more “qualification” than many of those named.

Morgan Scoltock Williams was the son of William Williams, a butcher of Madoc Street and later of Mostyn Street. William Williams’ father was Morgan Williams, landlord of the King’s Arms on Mostyn Street. The Census for Wales of 1871 records Morgan Williams, licensed victualler and William Williams, butcher, living next door to each other at Nos 5 and 6 Mostyn Street respectively. William Williams had a wife Sarah and four daughters.

On 27 August 1889, a widowed William Williams married Emma Jane Scoltock at St. John’s Methodist Church, Llandudno. Later that year, Morgan Williams died, leaving his estate of £2432 to William who became the licensee of the King’s Arms. The Census for Wales of 1891 records William (60) and Emma (38) Williams living at 6 Adelphi Street and living on their own means. A son, Morgan Scoltock Williams was born in early 1894 though this happy occasion was marred by the death of his father on 25 June of that year. The Census for 1901 records both Emma and Morgan (7) still living at Adelphi Street though the house was now named “Scoltock Villa”. Emma died in 1903, probate £1688/13s being granted to her solicitors.

The orphaned Morgan Williams came under the guardianship of the Rev W H Nixon, Vicar of Winster in Derbyshire in 1905 – the census return for 1911 appears to be missing. He made a will in 1914 effectively leaving his interest in a freehold house, four acres of land and six leasehold houses (presumably in Llandudno) to the Rev Nixon’s daughter, Winifred. In the summer of 1916 he changed his mind having fallen in love with May Prince and proposed to her that October. Apparently, she rejected him though had spoken to him about joining the army. However, Morgan had been found unfit for service but not wanting to be thought a coward, eventually joined the Army Service Corps (Mechanical Transport). On his attestation papers dated April 1917, he gave his trade or calling as an independent gentleman. His address was Winster Vicarage, near Matlock and he named the Rev Nixon as his next of kin. He was accepted as a dispatch rider and served at No 1 Reserve MT Depot, Grove Park, Lewisham. Morgan was taken ill with measles and died of double pneumonia at Davidston Road War Hospital, Croydon on 17 May 1917 aged 23. He was buried in his family flat altar tomb at Llanrhos Churchyard.

Morgan Williams had made a “soldier’s will” on 1 May 1917 written in his diary in which he left his estate to May Prince though he neglected to rescind his former will. Both wills were presented for probate and the intrigue had to be settled in court which found in favour of May Prince, who received the small fortune of £8431/1s/10d as well as Morgan’s back pay of £3/5s/1d – a total of over £650,000 in today’s money.

Known memorials:

  • Winster War Memorial

Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>