Hughes, Arthur Price

If you can add any information about this soldier, please use the comment form at the bottom of this page.

If you would like to be informed of any additions or amendments to The Great War Project, please join our Facebook group.

The Great War Project navigation

Overview  A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   R   S   T   W

Arthur Price Hughes

Captain, 17th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
Died of illness after discharge, 31 March 1921, aged 29
Buried at the Great Orme’s Head Cemetery

CWGC registered (Son of Mr W O and Mrs M E Hughes, of Bank House, Llandudno)


Arthur Price Hughes’ death in 1921 was too late for his name to be included in the Llandudno Roll of Honour. He was included on the War Memorial and on the Marble Tablets in Holy Trinity Church.

Arthur Price Hughes was born in Colwyn Bay on 29 March 1892. He was the son of William Owen Hughes, a bank manager, and his wife Mary Edith Hughes (née Price). The family’s address (in 1891) was 11 Station Road, Colwyn Bay. The Census of Wales for 1901 records the family living at “Metropolitan Bank House”, High Street, Pwllheli. Arthur (9) was recorded as having a brother Roland (12), a brother William (10), and a sister Muriel (6). Arthur attended the Pwllheli County School and received the University of London matriculation in 1910. The following year, Arthur, still living with his parents in Pwllheli, was described as a solicitor’s articled clerk. He later moved to Salford and became articled to the town clerk.

On a date presently unknown, Arthur joined the Inns of Court Officer Training Corps. His rank was private and his service number was 5585. The Inns of Court OTC provided basic and officer training at Berkhamsted to over 13000 men. Arthur was commissioned as a temporary second lieutenant on 27 December 1915 into the Second Reserve of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. He disembarked in France on 5 June 1916 in the rank of acting captain and joined the 17th (Service) Battalion RWF. The 17th (2nd North Wales) RWF, part of the 38th (Welsh) Division had formed at Llandudno in February 1915 and had disembarked in France in December 1915. Later, Arthur Hughes was hospitalised with a severe wound to the neck.

Arthur Price Hughes died on 31 March 1921 aged 29 at 56 Gainsborough Avenue, Oldham of pneumonia. His occupation was recorded as a solicitor of 270 Waterloo Street, Oldham. The informant was JG Rowlands of “Bodnant”, Llandudno. Sometime before Arthur had been wounded, his father had become the manager of the London and Midland Bank at Llandudno and his parents now lived at “Bank House”. Arthur’s body was returned to Llandudno and he was buried at the Great Orme’s Head Cemetery. As well as a standard War Graves Commission headstone, Arthur has an additional memorial on his family headstone.

Known memorials:

  • Llandudno War Memorial
  • Memorial Chapel, Holy Trinity Church, Llandudno
  • Oldham War Memorial (possibly – as Hughes A)


Leave a Reply

You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>