A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.


G

The Great War Project navigation

Overview  A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   R   S   T   W

 

Harold Gatley

  • 20039, Private, 14th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 7 October 1916, aged 20
  • Buried at Essex Park Cemetery, Boezinge, Ypres, Belgium
  • CWGC registered (Son of Mr and Mrs Gatley, of Spring Grove, Clifton Rd, Llandudno)

Harold Gatley, the son of Isaac James Gatley and Ann Jane Gatley (née Rawling) was born on 24 June 1896 at Llandudno. In 1901, the family lived at “Spring Grove”, Clifton Road, Llandudno, Isaac Gatley being a cab driver. In September 1903, Harold transferred from the Infant School to Lloyd Street School. Harold left school in February 1911 and later that year, the Census of Wales recorded Isaac as a cab proprietor and Harold as a draper’s errand boy. He later worked at the Orme Cycle Depot, Vaughan Street.

Harold Gatley volunteered to join the Royal Welch Fusiliers at the end of 1914. He enlisted at Llandudno and was given the regimental number 20039. He joined the 14th (Service) Battalion that had formed at Llandudno on 2 November 1914. The battalion moved to Winchester in August 1915 and disembarked at Le Havre on 2 December 1915.

Harold Gatley was killed in action on 7 October 1916 aged 20. The 14th RWF was part of the 38th (Welsh) Division that had received a severe mauling at the Battle of Mametz Wood in July 1916. On the day Harold was killed, the remnants of his battalion were engaged in drainage work on a canal in the Ypres sector in Belgium. He was buried at the nearby Essex Park Cemetery.

 

Alfred Christopher George

  • 87113, Private, 1st The King’s (Liverpool Regiment)
  • Killed in action, 21-26 March 1918, aged 30
  • No known grave (Arras Memorial, France)
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)

Alfred Christopher George was born in Liverpool on 12 December 1887 to Alfred George, a blacksmith, and his wife Ellen George (née McDonald). In 1891, the family lived at 16 Desmond Street, Everton; Alfred (junior) was then recorded as having an elder sister, Annie and two younger brothers, John and Thomas. Ten years later, the family, now with two additional girls, Elizabeth and Frances, lived at 45 Anthony Street, Everton. However, Alfred Christopher was not recorded at that address but was recorded as a scholar at St. Edward’s Reformatory for Roman Catholic Boys at East Ham, Essex where many of the “scholars”, employed as tailors or shoemakers, were born in Liverpool. The Census of 1911 records Alfred as living at the home of his married sister, Annie Roberts, at 128 Upper Bean Street, Everton; he was described as a tailor’s presser. Alfred George married Jennie (Jane) Owen on 13 September 1914 at the Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, Mount Vernon, Liverpool. Both gave their residence at the time of marriage as 122 Gloucester Place, West Derby.

A regimental number of 87113 indicates that Alfred was conscripted into The King’s (Liverpool Regiment) in 1917. Little is known about his service life except that he enlisted at Liverpool. After disembarking in France, he served with the 1st KLR, one of the two peacetime regular battalions which had been in France since 13 August 1914. 21 March 1918 was the first day of the German offensive, Operation Michael. This began with an artillery bombardment followed by an infantry assault.

The first KLR was in the line near St. Quentin and Alfred was reported missing in action sometime between the 21st and 26th of March 1918. His wife made enquiries via the Red Cross to discover if he had been made a prisoner of war. She gave her address as 44 Alexandra Road, Llandudno which is where she was brought up. Sadly, this initiative proved unfruitful. Later, Arthur’s date of death was regarded as being 26 March 1918 for official purposes. He was aged 30.

 

Herbert Patrick Gilks

  • 235401, Private, 15th Lancashire Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 10 August 1918, aged 30
  • No known grave (Vis-en-Artois Memorial, France)
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)

Herbert Patrick Gilks, the son of William Gilks, a painter and decorator, and Clara Gilks (née Rogers) was born at Leamington Spa, Warwickshire in 1888. In 1891, the family lived at Leamington Spa and ten years later at Kenilworth, Herbert being recorded as an errand boy. The Census of 1911 records the family living at Malvern though Herbert is recorded as a porter working and living at the Imperial Hotel at Llandudno. In 1914, Herbert married Annie Pritchard and their first child Elizabeth Patricia Gilks was born in the same year. Their second child, Zena Rose Gilks was born in 1916.

Though his service record no longer exists, it seems probable that Herbert Gilks was conscripted into the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in mid-1916 with a regimental number of 51237. His initial posting may have been the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion though his first recorded unit was the 3rd (Reserve) Garrison Battalion which had formed at Wrexham in February 1916. Garrison battalions were formed with men who were too old or too infirm to fight in the front line. For example, the 1st Garrison Battalion RWF had been formed in 1915 and garrisoned Gibraltar. The 2nd Garrison Battalion RWF had formed the same year and had moved to Egypt. However, Herbert’s time with the RWF was short because he was transferred to the 4th (Reserve) Battalion of the East Lancashire Regiment with a regimental number of 5679. He was then transferred to the 12th (Reserve) Battalion of the King’s Own (Royal Lancashire) Regiment with a regimental number of 265094. In September 1916, the 12th (Res) KORL was re-designated as the 76th Training Reserve Battalion in the 17th Reserve Brigade. Sometime in 1917, possibly around September, Herbert was transferred to the 15th (Service) Battalion (1st Salford) (Salford Pals) of the Lancashire Fusiliers. This service battalion had formed at Salford in September 1914 and had landed in France in November 1915. Herbert’s new regimental number was 235401.

On 8 August 1918, the 15th Lancashire Fusiliers was in the reserve prior to the Battle of Amiens. Two days later, Herbert Gilks was killed in action aged 30 and his body was never knowingly recovered.

In 1928, Annie Gilks married Thomas Williams. It was not until March 1935 when she was granted probate of Herbert’s estate.

 

William Harold Gillett

  • 140831, Air Mechanic 2nd Class, Recruits Training Wing, Royal Air Force
  • Died of illness, 31 October 1918, aged 34
  • Buried at Llanrhos Churchyard
  • CWGC registered (Husband of Annie Beddam (formerly Gillett), of Sefton Cottage, Deganwy, Carnarvonshire)
  • Deganwy casualty

William Harold Gillett, the son of William Gillett and his second wife Mary Ann Gillett (née Tate) was born on 5 April 1884 at Greasbrough, Yorkshire. When William Harold Gillett was baptised on 4 February 1887, the family’s address was Chapel Street, Greasbrough and his father was employed as a gardener. In 1891, the family of three lived at “Mill Cottages”, Sandon, Staffordshire. The family moved to Llanrhos for in October 1897, William Harold was recorded at Deganwy National School. In 1901, the family lived at “Marl Cottage”, Llanrhos; William Gillett was still employed as a gardener and William Harold as an apprentice upholsterer. William Gillett died in 1903 and his wife died on 24 March 1908. Probate records indicate that Mary Ann Gillett’s address was “Iygwyn”, Marl Lane, Llanrhos; she left her effects of £48 11s 6d to her son. The Census of Wales for 1911 records William Harold boarding at “Belle View”, Station Road, Deganwy; he was working as an upholsterer on his own account. Later that month on 27 April 1911, William Harold Gillett married Annie Warner at Llanrhos Parish Church.

On 23 March 1918, William Harold Gillett was enlisted into the Royal Flying Corps which became the Royal Air Force on 1 April 1918. His RAF service number was 140831, his rank was Air Mechanic 3rd Class and his trade classification as a carpenter. His home address was recorded by the RAF as “Rosebank”, Deganwy. The date of his promotion to air mechanic 2nd class is unknown. William Harold Gillett died of purulent bronchitis at Tarrant Monkton Military Hospital, Blandford Forum, Dorset on 31 October 1918 aged 34. His body was returned to Deganwy and he was buried at Llanrhos Parish Church.

Annie Gillett married John Mills Beddow in 1921. She died on 8 January 1960.

 

William Henry Felix Gould

  • 1456, Temporary 2nd Lieutenant, HMS Stephen Furness, Royal Naval Reserve
  • Killed or died as a direct result of enemy action, 13 December 1917, aged 24
  • Body not recovered for burial (Portsmouth Naval Memorial)
  • CWGC registered (Son of Charles and Ada Jane Gould, of 1 Endsleigh Terrace, Tavistock, Devon)
  • Not a local casualty
    • Memorial at Llanrhos Churchyard

William Henry Felix Gould was born on 9 November 1893 at Whitchurch in Devon. He was the son of Charles Gould and Ada Jane Gould (née Pearce). In 1901, Charles, Ada, William and a daughter Caroline G lived at 1 Broad Park Terrace, Whitchurch. Charles Gould was a newsagent working for WH Smith and Son. Ten years later, the family lived at 9 Chapel Street, Tavistock. William obtained a certificate of competency as second mate on a foreign-going ship on 15 May 1914. On 6 September 1915 he sailed on the tanker Hermione (Bowring and Co) for the United States. He made six voyages before being discharged on 5 October 1916. He received a certificate of competency as a first mate on 15 December 1916.

With a seniority of 15 January 1917, William Gould became a temporary second lieutenant in the Royal Naval Reserve, destined to serve on HMS Stephen Furness. Formerly SS Stephen Furness, the passenger ship was built in 1910 but had been requisitioned by the Royal Navy and used as an armed boarding carrier. The ship was torpedoed on 13 December 1917 by the German submarine UB-64 off the Isle of Man with the loss of 101 lives, including William Gould aged 24.

On a date unknown, William’s parents and his sister Caroline moved to Penrhyn Bay. Charles Gould died in 1936 and was buried at Llanrhos Churchyard. His wife Ada died in April 1946. The family headstone in Llanrhos Churchyard includes a memorial to William.

 

Kenneth Grant

  • 9510, Serjeant, 5th Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry
  • Killed in action, 9 April 1917, aged 25
  • Buried at Tilloy British Cemetery, Tilloy-les-Mofflaines, Arras, France
  • CWGC registered (Miss P Grant, 64 Ruskin Buildings, Millbank, SW1)

Kenneth Grant was born in Rhyl on 16 May 1891, just missing being recorded in the census for that year. He was the son of the Liverpool-born landscape artist (Thomas) Carleton Grant and his wife Charlotte Maria (née Roberts). Before getting married, Carleton Grant had lived with his widowed mother in Llandudno. The family later lived at Oxford and at Marlow. Both Carleton and Charlotte Grant died in 1899 on the Isle of Wight at the residence of Carleton’s sister Florence. In 1901, both Kenneth and his sister Phyllis were living with their aunt Florence Hague and her son, Douglas Carleton Hague at Shanklin. Kenneth made the headlines later that year for rescuing two boys on Shanklin Beach. Between September 1907 and August 1909, Kenneth spent a time as a boy sailor in the Royal Navy – his number was 366214. He was discharged as being unfit. In 1911, Florence, Douglas and Kenneth were living in Oxford; Kenneth was described as a house decorator painter.

Kenneth Grant’s army record no longer exists. He served in the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry (OBLI) with a regimental number of 9510. A soldier numbered 9512 enlisted on 25 September 1914. Kenneth Grant’s battalion was the 5th (Service) Battalion OBLI that formed in August 1914 at Oxford as part of Kitchener’s 1st New Army. Kenneth Grant was a private when the battalion landed at Boulogne on 21 May 1915 and was in France when he achieved the rank of serjeant.

Kenneth Grant was killed in action on the attack on Telegraph Redoubt on 9 April 1917, the first day of the Battle of Arras. He was aged 25 and buried at Telegraph Hill, near where he fell but was later reinterred at Tilloy British Cemetery. Kenneth Grant was not married, and his effects were received by his sister Phyllis.

 

Lionel Perceval Graves

  • Second Lieutenant, 9th King’s Own Scottish Borderers
  • Died of illness, 21 December 1918, aged 34
  • Buried at St. Tudno’s Churchyard
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)
  • Not a local casualty
    • Died in Llandudno

Lionel Perceval Graves was born in Dublin on 15 April 1884. He was the son of Arnold Felix Graves, a barrister, and his wife Constance Louise Graves (née Wetherley). His cousin was the playwright Robert Graves. The family lived at various addresses around Dublin. Lionel and his brother Arnold attended King William’s College on the Isle of Man from 1894. Arnold left in 1898 and Lionel left in 1901, studying initially at Owens College, Manchester. He was made a graduate in the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in 1903. He entered the motor trade and later (1909) received a commission in the Territorial Force Royal Engineers Kent (Fortress). He resigned his commission in 1911 and emigrated to British Colombia.

In August 1914, Lionel Graves volunteered to join the Canadian Expeditionary Force and was enlisted into the new 16th Battalion. His service number was 29614. The battalion formed at Valcartier, Québec and landed at Devonport on 17 October 1914, moving to Westdown Camp and then to Lark Hill Camp on 27 November 1914. On 3 February 1915, Lionel Graves received a commission in the King’s Own Scottish Borderers and joined the 9th (Service) Battalion. Instead of being sent overseas, the 9th KSOB converted to a Reserve Battalion (April 1915), its troops being used to reinforce other battalions that had suffered severe losses. Lionel Graves joined the 6th (Service) Battalion KSOB on 4 October 1915 in Belgium. His war was short for he left the battalion on 12 November suffering from haemoptysis. He was evacuated to England on 19 November with tuberculosis.

Now posted to the 9th KSOB, the reserve battalion, Lionel Graves was treated at several hospitals. His health continued to deteriorate, and he was forced to resign his commission on 17 March 1916. He was awarded a Silver War Badge on 19 December 1916 and granted the honorary rank of second lieutenant the following year. Lionel Graves died aged 34 on 21 December 1918 at “Camelot”, St. David’s Place, Llandudno. Why he was resident at Llandudno remains uncertain. His brother Arnold, now a major in the Royal Air Force and just returned from Mesopotamia, was present at Lionel’s death. He was buried at St. Tudno’s Churchyard on 26 December 1918.

 

Leonard George Griffith

  • 265348, Serjeant, Royal Welsh Fusiliers Reserve Battalion (Territorial Force)
  • Died of illness, 21 January 1918, aged 39
  • Buried at Llanrhos Churchyard
  • CWGC registered (Son of George William and Annie Griffith, of Llandudno. Served in the South African Campaign)
  • Llandudno casualty
    • Not on Llandudno’s Roll of Honour
    • Not on Llandudno War Memorial
    • Named in Memorial Chapel of Holy Trinity Church

Leonard George Griffith was born at Deganwy on 29 July 1878. He was the son of a coal merchant, George William Griffith, and his wife Annie Griffith (née Raw). In 1881, the family lived at 3 East Parade, Llandudno – Leonard was recorded as having a younger brother, Edward. In 1887, Leonard was a pupil at St. Beuno’s National School. By 1891, the family had moved to 1 Charlton Street, Llandudno; Leonard was described as a scholar and had six siblings including Edward and Norah (aka Leonora).

The Boer War had been stretching the resources of the regular army and in December 1899, the government called for volunteers to supplement the regulars. Amongst those units to provide reinforcements was the 3rd Volunteer Battalion RWF of which Leonard Griffith, a gardener, was a private with a number of 7303. On 11 February 1900, the Volunteer Service Company of the RWF embarked at Southampton for the Cape. Leonard’s engagement was completed on 15 May 1901. For his time in South Africa, he was awarded the King’s South Africa Medal. A local newspaper report for December 1902 regarding the formation of the Llandudno Rifle Club records Leonard as a corporal in the 3rd VB, RWF. George William Griffith died in 1905. In 1911, Annie Griffith, Leonard, Leonora and another sister Lily still lived in Charlton Street. Annie died in 1913.

On 8 August 1914, Leonard Griffith presented himself at Conwy to the 6th (Carnarvonshire and Anglesey) Battalion RWF, (Territorial Force), the successor to the 3rd Volunteer Battalion for re-enlistment. He was given the new regimental number of 1292 (later 265348). He gave his occupation as a gardener, his residence as “Anglesey House”, Church Walks, Llandudno and his next of kin as his sister Leonora, He was promoted to corporal on 16 September 1914 and sailed with the battalion (now the 1/6th) to Gallipoli, disembarking on 8 August 1915, being promoted to lance serjeant on the 27th day of that month. When the battalion was evacuated to Egypt in December 1915, Leonard was posted back to the UK. On 3 July 1916, he was posted to the command depot and on 9 March 1917, now an acting serjeant, to the Reserve Battalion, Royal Welsh Fusiliers Territorial Force at Oswestry. It was a couple of months later in May 1917 that Leonard Griffith became unwell and a medical board on 2 October 1917 found him physically unfit to serve due to tubercular laryngitis. At the time he was a serjeant and his home address was “Aston Villa”, Oxford Road, Llandudno. He was discharged on 23 October 1917 with a pension and was awarded a Silver War Badge No 251839.

Leonard Griffith died on 21 January 1918 aged 39 at Llandudno. He was buried at Llanrhos Churchyard.

NOTE

Leonard Griffith, a soldier who fought in the Boer War and who fought at Gallipoli in the Great War is neither remembered on the Llandudno Roll of Honour nor on the town’s War Memorial.

 

Ellis Griffiths

  • 52269, Private, 1st Lincolnshire Regiment
  • Killed in action, 19 September 1918, aged 20
  • No known grave (Vis-en-Artois Memorial, France)
  • CWGC registered (Son of Elizabeth Griffiths, of 10 Cwlach St, Llandudno, and the late Edward Griffiths)

Ellis Griffiths was the son of Edward Griffiths and his wife Elizabeth Griffiths (née Lewis). He was born at Glan Conwy on 5 February 1898. In 1901, the family lived at Pant-y-Wenol; Edward Griffiths was a labourer and at that time, Ellis had three sisters and a brother. The family may have moved to Conwy for when Ellis was admitted to St. George’s National School in Llandudno in June 1905, his previous school was recorded as at Conwy Morfa. Thereafter, the family lived at two addresses on the Great Orme, 5 Cyll Terrace and 5 Belle Vue Terrace. Ellis also attended the “New” school at the Great Orme and later Lloyd Street School. He left school in December 1911.

Ellis enlisted in Bangor and his first recorded unit was the Army Cyclist Corps. With a regimental number of 11160, he was attached to the Lincoln Cyclist Regiment, formerly the 2/1st Lincolnshire Yeomanry, (Territorial Force). The unit was part of the 12th Cyclist Brigade which had formed on 4 September 1917. The brigade saw no service overseas. On 24 August 1918, Ellis was transferred to the infantry and was posted to the 1st Lincolnshire Regiment the following day.

Ellis Griffiths was reported as being killed in action during an enemy bombardment on 19 September 1918, the day after the Battle of Épehy when the 1st Lincoln’s advanced near the village of Sorel-le-Grand. He was aged 20 and has no known grave.

 

John Griffiths

  • WR/207897, Pioneer, Railway Troops, Royal Engineers
  • Died of illness, 10 November 1918, aged c 33
  • Buried at Llangwstenin Churchyard
  • CWGC registered (Husband of Jane Griffiths, of 4 Glan-y-rafon Terrace, Tywyn, Deganwy, Carnarvonshire)
  • Deganwy casualty

John Griffiths was born circa 1885 at St. Asaph, the youngest child of Owen Griffiths, a shoemaker, and his wife Mary. In 1881, the family had lived at 8 California Street, St. Asaph. Ten years later, the family lived at 1 Gwynedd Terrace, Llangwstenin though John was recorded in the Census of that year as living at “Cartref”, Gloddaeth Street, Llandudno; he was working as a head warehouseman at a grocer’s shop. On 30 August 1909, John Griffiths, a driver of 10 Alexandra Road, Llandudno married Jane (Jennie) Jones of Albion Terrace, Llandudno at Llanrhos Parish Church, both addresses at the time being within that parish. In 1911, John, Jane and three lodgers lived at 7 Wyddfryd Road, Llandudno, John being described as a fishmonger’s assistant.

On 9 December 1915, John Griffiths attested to join the army at Conwy. He gave his home address as 4 Glanyrafon, Tywyn, Deganwy and his occupation as a cleaner for the London & Northwestern Railway. However, he was not called-up straight away.

John and Jane’s daughter Gwladys Freda was born on 26 October 1917.

It was not until 28 June1918 that John Griffiths joined the Railway Troops of the Royal Engineers. His rank was pioneer, not being trade-qualified to have the rank of sapper. His service number was WR/207897.

John Griffiths was taken ill whilst serving at the Railway Construction Troops Depot, Longmoor. He was taken to the Frensham Hill Military Hospital, Farnham where he died of influenza and broncho-pneumonia on 10 November 1918. John Griffiths’ body was returned to Deganwy and he was buried in Llangwestein Churchyard, the same location as his father who had died in 1902.

In 1939, Jane Griffiths was still living at Tywyn, Deganwy and Gwladus was working nearby as a domestic servant. Jane died in 1959 and was buried in her husband’s grave. Gwladus died in 1968.

 

John James Griffiths

  • 19087, Private, 14th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 23 July 1917, aged 23
  • Buried at Bard Cottage Cemetery, Ypres, Belgium
  • CWGC registered (Mrs E Griffiths, 30 Clifton Rd, Llandudno)

John James Griffiths, the son of William and Mary Ann Griffiths was born at Dinas, Glamorganshire in 1893. In 1901, the family lived at the intriguing address of 3 Concrete Houses, Ystradyfodwg; William Griffiths worked at a colliery and four children were recorded: Mary Ellen, John James, Martha Jane and Emrys. Ten years later, the family lived at 37 New Century Street, Trealaw, Rhondda. John James Griffiths was employed as an engine boy (below ground).

In December 1914, John James Griffiths enlisted at Tonypandy into the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. He joined the 16th (Service) Battalion which had formed at Llandudno in November 1914. After initial training, the battalion moved to Winchester and disembarked in France in December 1915. On 30 August 1916, John was listed as having been wounded. Perhaps he had been injured in July 1916 when the 38th (Welsh) Division suffered heavy losses at Mametz Wood during the Battle of the Somme. Clearly, he was on home leave when on 25 March 1917, he married Emily Roberts of Penrhynside at the register office at Conwy. He gave his address as that of his home in Trealaw. The couple’s child Emrysena Joan James Griffiths was born on 27 October 1917 which suggests that John had been at home since the end of 1916, probably earlier. On returning to France, John was posted to the 14th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers. The 14th RWF was also a component of the 38th (Welsh) Division which, after the attack on Mametz Wood, had been deployed to the Ypres Salient where it spent its time rebuilding and consolidating the position. In June 1917, the division was withdrawn to conduct training for the forthcoming Ypres offensive (Passchendaele). On 20 July 1917, the division returned to the front line near Ypres and became subject to heavy German artillery fire of both high explosive and mustard gas shells.

John James Griffiths was killed in action on 23 July 1917 aged 23. The battalion’s war diary of the day reports some casualties due to incoming shellfire. John James Griffiths was buried at Bard Cottage Cemetery.

Emily Griffiths married John B Williamson at Coventry in 1922.

 

Joseph Griffiths

  • 17402, Private, 13th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 7 December 1916, aged 29
  • Buried at Essex Farm Cemetery, Belgium
  • CWGC registered (Husband of Jane A Owen, of Pen-y-Parc Cottage, Penrhynside, Llandudno)
  • Penrhynside casualty

Joseph Griffiths, the son of a plasterer, Joseph Griffiths and his wife Elizabeth Griffiths (née Jones) was born at Rhyl on 1 July 1887. In September 1890, Joseph (junior) was admitted to Emanuel Boys’ School, Rhyl, the family’s address being 15 Queen’s Court, Rhyl. A later school register gives the family’s address in 1895 as 4 Mona Terrace. By 1901, the family’ address was 8 Greenfield Street, Rhyl and Joseph (junior) was working as a labourer for his father. In 1907, Joseph married Jane Ann Evans and by 1911 the couple and their son Joseph Thomas Griffiths, who had been born on 14 June 1908, lived at 22 Wells Street, Wavertree, Liverpool, Joseph being employed as a plasterer. A second son, John Griffiths, was born on 9 April 1913.

On or around 10 November 1914, Joseph Griffiths volunteered to join the Royal Welsh Fusiliers at his hometown, Rhyl which was also the hometown of his wife. Given the number of 17402, he was posted to the 13th (Service) Battalion which had formed at Rhyl on 3 September 1914. The battalion came under the orders of the 128th Brigade, 43rd Division (later 113th Brigade, 38th [Welsh] Division) at Llandudno on 28 April 1915. The division left for Winchester in August 1915 and Joseph disembarked in France on 1 December 1915. A casualty list dated 27 March 2016 stated that Joseph Griffiths had been wounded and this was locally reported the following month. Furthermore, on 11 July 1916, the day after 38th Division had attacked Mametz Wood, Joseph was admitted to No 34 Casualty Clearing Station with gunshot wounds to his face and back. He was transferred the same day to hospital by No 22 Ambulance Train. On a date unknown, he was posted back to his battalion.

On 7 December 1916, Joseph Griffiths was killed in action aged 29. The 13th RWF was by the Yser Canal, north of Ypres and had experienced sporadic incoming artillery and mortar fire. He was buried at Essex Farm Cemetery, Belgium.

In 1919, Jane Ann Griffiths married Moses Owen and the Empire War Graves Commission recorded the couple’s address as Pen-y-Parc Cottage, Penrhynside, Llandudno. In 1939, they lived at “Ty Lloyd”, Penrhynside with their two sons Robert and Lesley, and John Griffiths, who, like his father, was a plasterer. Also employed as a plasterer and living in Llandudno with his wife Katie was Joseph Thomas Griffiths.

Comments are closed.