D

The Great War Project navigation

Overview  A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   R   S   T   W

 

Daniel Davies

  • 310050, Bombardier, 1/1st Welsh (Carnarvonshire) Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery (Territorial Force)
  • Died of wounds after discharge, 20 October 1919, aged 26
  • Buried at Bebington Cemetery
  • CWGC registered (Son of William and Joanna Davies, of 57 Beverley Rd, New Ferry, Birkenhead)
  • Brother of William Davies (NF)

Daniel Davies was born in 1893 in Llandudno. He was the son of William Henry Davies and his wife Joanna (née Jones). The baptismal register for the Parish of Llandudno records that when Daniel was baptised on 3 January 1894, the family’s address was 8 St. George’s Place, Back Madoc Street, Llandudno and that William Henry Davies was a labourer. The Census of Wales 1901 records that the family had recently moved to 4 Penygelli Road, Bersham, Wrexham: William Davies was a coal-miner and Daniel had two brothers (including William [qv]) and three sisters, all born at Llandudno, recorded at the time. Between 1903 and 1905, the family lived at 145 Henllan Street, Denbigh. Another son and daughter were recorded in 1911, the family’s address being 5 Bryn y Gwynt, Great Orme, Llandudno, William Henry being employed as a labourer, Joanna a qualified midwife, and Daniel a road labourer.

When Daniel Davies joined the Welsh (Carnarvonshire) Battery of the Royal Garrison Artillery Territorial Force is uncertain. He was issued a new number, 310050, in early 1917 and his previous number, which might have identified his enlistment date, is still unknown. It is possible that he enlisted before the war as the 1st Welsh RGA was headquartered at Bangor and had an Ammunition Column at Argyll Road, Llandudno.

Little is known about Daniel’s service in France; though his medal index card indicates that he held the rank of driver on disembarkation. When he was promoted to bombardier is unknown. On 12 July 1918, he was admitted to No 83 General Hospital at Boulogne with severe broncho-pneumonia.

After the war, Daniel lived at his family’s address of 57 Beverley Road, New Ferry, Birkenhead and was employed as a builder’s labourer. He died on 20 October 1919 aged 26 at the Liverpool Royal Infirmary of empyema and septicaemia; CWGC records indicate that this was a result of him being wounded. He was buried five days later at Bebington Cemetery.

 

David Davies

  • 220671, Gunner, 232nd Brigade, Royal Field Artillery (Territorial Force)
  • Killed in action, 21 March 1918, aged 20
  • No known grave (Arras Memorial, France)
  • CWGC registered (Son of William and Ellen Davies, of 13 Alexandra Rd, Llandudno, Carnarvonshire)
  • Brother of William Davies RWF (26208)

David Davies, the son of William and Ellenor Davies, was born at Llangwstenin on 19 April 1897. In 1901, the family, including David’s brother William (qv), lived at 2 Bay View Terrace, Llandudno, William Davies (senior) being employed as a general labourer. In February 1903, David and his elder brother John were transferred to St. George’s National School, the family’s address noted as “Masonic Cottage”, Masonic Street. In 1905, the family’ address was recorded as “The Clifton”, Vaughan Street. David was transferred to Dyffryn Road Council School in July 1908, the family’s new address being 13 Alexandra Road. David Davies left school in 1911.

David Davies enlisted in Bangor into the Royal Field Artillery and had a regimental number of 220671. A gunner with a close number attested in January 1916, was called up in February 1917 to No 2 Reserve Brigade Artillery (Territorial Force) at Bettisfield Park Camp, Shropshire, and disembarked in France on 19 December 1917.

David Davies died on 21 March 1918 aged 20. Soldiers Died in the Great War relates that he died of wounds, but Commonwealth War Grave Commission records indicate that he is remembered on the Arras Memorial which implies that he has no known grave. His death certificate confirms that he was killed in action when serving with A Battery of the 232nd Brigade, Royal Field Artillery. This artillery brigade had been a pre-war component of the Territorial Force, originally called the III North Midland Brigade with batteries from Wolverhampton, West Bromwich and Stafford.

21 March 1918 was the first day of the Battle of St. Quentin which saw a huge artillery bombardment followed by an infantry assault by the Germans (Operation Michael). Casualties were enormous, the Arras Memorial for that day remembering over 2700 soldiers killed with no known grave including three from A Battery, 232 Brigade.

 

David Claud(e) Graham Davies

  • 2nd Lieutenant, 1st Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery
  • Died of wounds, 15 May 1915, aged 23
  • Buried at Béthune Town Cemetery, France
  • CWGC registered (Born at Llanrwst, Denbighshire. Son of Thomas John and Annie Louisa Davies, of “Awelon”, 15 Holbrook Avenue, Rugby)

David Claud Graham Davies was the son of Dr Thomas John Davies and Mrs Annie Louisa Davies (née Graham). Although his birth in Llanrwst in 1892 is recorded as “David Claud Graham Davies”, it appears that this officer was usually known as “Claude” (with an “e”). Thomas Davies died in 1897; the family was then living in Chorlton-upon-Medlock, Manchester. In 1901, the widowed Annie Davies and two sons, David and James, were still living in Chorlton; boarding with them was a Bohemian named Hynek Zaloudek. Five days later on 6 April 1901, Annie Davies, unaware that Hynek Zaloudek had a wife in Switzerland, married her lodger at Chorlton and their son Robert Zaloudek was born in 1902. The family moved to Llandudno, living at 72 Mostyn Street. Her new husband traded as H Zaloudek & Co: “the leading ladies’ tailor and dressmakers.” David’s second half brother, Herbert Zaloudek was born in 1905.

Claude attended John Bright County School in Llandudno and was a member of Llandudno Town FC. He then studied engineering at the University of Wales, Bangor and joined the Officer Training Corps. He became a charge-hand at the electrical laboratory of British Thompson-Houston in Coventry. By1911, he was boarding at 23 Charlotte Street, Rugby, his mother and her three other sons living in Mostyn Street, Llandudno. It was around this time that Hynek Zaloudek, having been divorced by his first wife in the English Courts, married Emma Eugenie Hewitt at West Bromwich. Clearly the situation remained complicated and from 1912, Annie Zaloudek was recorded in directories as living at 29 Manor Road, Rugby though from 1915, she had reverted to being named Annie Davies.

Claude was commissioned into the Royal Garrison Artillery on the outbreak of war and was attached to the 1st Siege Battery, 1st Army which disembarked at St. Nazaire on 19 September 1914. Claude was directing fire when he received shrapnel wounds. He died at the 24th Field Hospital, Béthune on 15 May 1915, aged 23. He left his estate of £559 18s 2d to his mother.

 

Frank Goodman Davies

  • 242195, Private, 2/6th The King’s (Liverpool Regiment) (Territorial Force)
  • Died of wounds, 4 September 1918, aged 24
  • Buried at Québec Cemetery, Cherisy, France
  • CWGC registered (Son of Mrs. Jane Walker, of “Dorcote”, 18 Garston Old Rd, Cressington, Liverpool. Native of Llandudno)

Frank Goodman Davies was born on 14 November 1894 at Conwy. He was the son of Robert Davies, landlord of the Plough Inn at Conwy, and his wife Jane. In 1901 Robert Davies was the landlord of the Erskine Arms Hotel at Conwy where he lived with his wife and six children: William, Catherine, Frank, Robert (aka Lancelot), Basil and Percy. In August 1903, Robert took over the Parade Hotel at Llandudno, Frank being admitted to Lloyd Street School. In November 1904, Robert Davies gave up his licence for the Parade Hotel. The register for Dyffryn Road Council School records that Frank attended there from April 1907, his address being 12 Alexandra Road. He was readmitted to Lloyd Street School in January 1908. The Census of Wales of 1911 reveals that Robert Davies had died and Jane Davies, now the manageress of a golf club, and her family lived at 6 Curzon Road, Craig-y-Don; Frank was a tailor’s apprentice. In October 1915, Jane Davies married Samuel John Cocks, the general manager of the Dundalk and Newry Steam Packet Company at Liverpool and lived at “Dorcote”, Garston Old Road, Cressington, Liverpool.

It would appear that Frank Davies moved to Liverpool with his mother because Soldiers Died in the Great War records that when he enlisted at Liverpool, his home was at Cressington. When he enlisted is presently unknown but what is known is that he served with the 2/6th (Rifle) Battalion of The King’s (Liverpool Regiment) Territorial Force. His number was 242195 but that would have replaced an earlier number in 1917. The 2/6th KLR was formed in Liverpool on 10 September 1914 as a second line battalion but it was later ordered overseas and in February 1917, it landed in France.

Frank Goodman Davies reportedly stepped on a land mine and died of wounds on 4 September 1918 aged 24. He was buried at Québec Cemetery, Cherisy, a village south east of Arras that was in German hands until it was retaken by the Canadian Corps on 27 August 1918. Its proximity to the front line indicates that Frank Davies could not have been evacuated to a hospital at the coast. The only significant entry in the war diary for the 2/6th KLR for the few days before 4 September 1918 was an attack on Reincourt, a village about three miles south-east of Cherisy on 1 September in which 21 of the battalion were killed and another 98 wounded. Another two soldiers were wounded the following day.

This was not the only calamity to affect Frank’s mother for in the following month, on 14 October 1918, her husband, Samuel John Cocks was killed when a steam packet in which he was travelling to Ireland was torpedoed off the Isle of Man. A year later, Jane Cocks married David D Walker at Liverpool.

 

George Davies

  • 20018, Serjeant, 14th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 6 July 1916, aged 25
  • Buried at Dantzig Alley British Cemetery, Mametz, France
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)

George Davies was born in Llandudno on 12 November 1890. He was the son of Henry and Ellen Davies of 69 Mostyn Street, Llandudno. Henry Davies was a print compositor. In April 1894, George was admitted to St. George’s National School. In 1901, the family was living at 2 Glan-y-mor Villas, Trevor Street. George left school November 1904. In 1911, the family’s address was “Clyne House”, Bryniau Road; George worked as a shop assistant to a stationer.

George Davies volunteered to join the Royal Welch Fusiliers in November 1914. He enlisted at Llandudno and was given the regimental number 20018. George’s younger brother Robert joined up the same day with a number of 20019. The brothers joined the 14th (Service) Battalion that had formed at Llandudno on 2 November 1914. The battalion moved to Winchester in August 1915 and disembarked at Le Havre on 2 December 1915. George Davies’ service record is scant, but he must have proved himself to be a good soldier for he achieved the rank of serjeant.

George Davies was killed in action on 6 July 1916 aged 25. The battalion was preparing for the attack on Mametz Wood which happened four days later. The war diary for the 14th Battalion mentions no casualties for 6 July. George Davies was buried to the north of the village of Mametz though after the war he was reinterred at the nearby Dantzig Alley British Cemetery.

 

Hugh Davies

  • 201156, Private, 1/5th The King’s (Liverpool Regiment) (Territorial Force)
  • Killed in action, 20 September 1917, aged 29
  • Buried at Tyne Cot Cemetery, Belgium
  • CWGC registered (Husband of Mrs A Davies, of No 3 Flat, York Mansions, 25 Vaughan St, Llandudno)
  • Brother-in-law of Robert John Hughes

Hugh Davies, the son of a platelayer, Robert Davies and his wife Annie Davies (née Williams) was born at Colwyn Bay on 17 October 1887. In 1891, the family living at “Efail Tywyn”, Llanrhos. Ten years later, it lived at 2 Brooklands Villa, Llanrhos. On 26 March 1911, Hugh, a carriage cleaner for the London and North Western Railway, joined the Amalgamated Society of Railway Servants at Llandudno Junction. The Census for that year records the family having moved to “Crossing Cottage”, Bryniau Road, Llandudno – the site of the present railway bridge. In early 1914, Hugh married Annie Hughes, sister of Robert John Hughes (qv) at Merthyr Tydfil and they had a daughter, Annie, born later that year.

Hugh Davies was enlisted at Liverpool into The King’s (Liverpool Regiment) on 29 January 1915. His regimental number was 3397 (later 201156) and he probably initially served in the 2/5th Battalion, (Territorial Force). The front-line battalion, the 1/5th, disembarked in France in February 1915 and Hugh joined it in February 1916.

Hugh Davies was killed in action on 20 September 1917 aged 29 during an attack near Pommern Castle, east of Ypres, when 45 officers and men of the 1/5th were killed. He was buried near the front line but was reinterred in the Tyne Cot Cemetery in 1919, his body being identified by his identity disk which still bore his old regimental number of 3397.

Hugh’s widow, Annie Davies, lived with her father and brother in Llandudno in 1939.

 

Ivor Davies

  • 229490, Gunner, 251st Brigade Royal Field Artillery (Territorial Force)
  • Died whilst a prisoner of war, 8 July 1918, aged 30
  • Buried at Niederzwehren Cemetery, Germany
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)

Ivor Davies, the son of John and Ellinor Davies, was born in Llandudno on 13 April 1888. In 1891, the family lived at 6 Gloddaeth Crescent, Llandudno.  John Davies was employed as a mason and Ivor was the youngest of eight children. From 1895 until 1902, Ivor attended Lloyd Street School, Llandudno. Both the 1901 and 1911 censuses record Ivor living at the same address – in the latter he is recorded as a plumber. In 1915, Ivor married Phoebe Jones of Old Colwyn and their son Hugh N Davies was born in December 1916.

According to Soldiers Died in the Great War, Ivor and Phoebe lived in Old Colwyn. Little is known about Ivor’s service career though it is known that he enlisted at Wrexham and his service number was 229490. A gunner with a close number attested at the end of 1915 and was called up in May 1917, joining a reserve battery. Ivor’s unit when he was taken prisoner on 27 May 1918 was the 251st Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery. This was a Territorial Force first line brigade in the 50th Division. On the day he was taken prisoner, the Germans made a major attack now known as the Third Battle of the Aisne and the 50th Division was pushed back. German records indicate that Ivor was captured at “Marne”, had been wounded in the thigh and was moved to Giessen POW Camp in Germany. His wife’s address was recorded as “Church Walk”, Colwyn Bay.

Ivor Davies died as a result of gas poisoning on 8 July 1918 aged 30. He was buried at Giessen Military Cemetery. In 1923, his body was reinterred at Niederzwehren Cemetery.

Phoebie Davies lived in Wrexham in 1939 and died there in 1968.

 

James Davies

  • 16596, Private, 9th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 25 September 1915, aged 31
  • No known grave (Loos Memorial, France)
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)

James and Cissy Davies with their children Olwen, Glyn and Thomas. Gladys Mary was born in February 1916.

James Davies, the son of William and Mary Davies, was born in Llangystenin in 1884. In 1891, the family lived at “Tai Isaf”, Bryn Pydew; William Davies was a general labourer and James had an elder sister Maria. In 1901, the family still lived at Bryn Pydew, William Davies being employed at a limestone quarry and Mary Davies keeping a green grocer’s stall at Llandudno market. James was recorded as attending the market and working in a garden. In 1905, James married Cissy Sarah Lingwood Hughes. The 1911 Census records Cissy (as Sarah) residing with her aunt in Llanrhos with her three children: Olwen, Glyn and Thomas Noel. James was at the home of his widowed mother at “Baronhill Cottage”, Bryn Pydew; he was described as Labourer (Tramway).

At the outbreak of war, James Davies volunteered to join the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and enlisted at Llandudno. He joined the 9th (Service) Battalion, the second of the regiment’s New Army battalions that had formed at Wrexham in September 1914. James’ regimental number was 16596. The battalion moved to Tidworth on Salisbury Plain but by December 1914 it was in billets at Basingstoke. It returned to Tidworth in March 1915 and landed at Boulogne on 19 July 1915.

On 24 September 1915, the battalion was in trenches near Festubert. The next day the battalion was part of offensive that attacked the German lines in what became known as the Battle of Loos. James Davies was officially listed as missing after the battle but was later classified as killed in action. For administrative purposes, his date of death is given as 25 September 1915. He was aged 31. Since his body was never knowingly recovered, he is commemorated on the Loos Memorial.

Cissy Davies married John William Prydderch in 1918. She died in 1975.

 

John Davies

  • 38193, Private, 9th South Wales Borderers
  • Died of illness, 9 April 1916, aged 34
  • Buried at Llanrhos Churchyard
  • CWGC registered (Son of John Davies, of Station Hotel Cottage, Llandudno Junction)
  • Llandudno Junction casualty
    • Buried at Llanrhos Churchyard

John Davies, the son of John and Ann Davies was born in Llanasa, Flintshire in December 1881. John Davies (senior) was a farm labourer and the family lived at “Drws Yr Erw”. John (junior) had a brother Thomas and a stepbrother William Roberts Jones. In 1891, the family lived at 2 Marl Bach, Llanrhos; John now had another brother, Hugh. All the brothers were recorded as scholars. Ten years later, the family lived at 4 Rathbone Terrace, Llanrhos – John (junior) was employed as a domestic gardener. In 1911, the family lived at “Station Hotel Cottage”, Llandudno Junction. John (junior) was now employed as a general labourer. Ann Davies died in February 1914.

John Davies joined the army in December 1915. He enlisted at Conwy and joined the 9th (Special Reserve) Battalion of the South Wales Borderers with a regimental number of 38193. The 9th SWB had formed as a Service Battalion at the end of October 1914, part of Kitchener’s Fourth New Army or K4. K4 was broken up in April 1915, its battalions becoming Reserve Battalions. The 9th SWB moved to Kinmel Park, near Rhyl – most of its volunteers destined as reinforcements for other battalions once their training had finished. Others remained at Kinmel Park as administrators and instructors to train future volunteers and conscripts.

John Davies died on 9 April 1916 aged 34 of pneumonia at Bangor Military Hospital. The place of death suggests that he was on leave when taken ill. John was buried at Llanrhos Churchyard. His name is considered missing from the Llandudno Junction War Memorial.

 

Mervyn Sinclair Davies

  • 61350, Private, 2nd Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 28 November 1917, aged 22
  • Buried at Tyne Cot Cemetery, Belgium
  • CWGC registered (Son of David and Jane Davies, of “Leyburn”, Maelgwyn Rd, Llandudno)

Mervyn Sinclair Davies was born in Llandudno on 31 December 1894. His birth was registered as Merfyn Sinclair Davies, but all later references are to his Anglicised name. He was the third son of David and Jane Davies, his elder brothers being Hywel and Tudno. A sister, Robina Penry Davies, was born and died in 1893. A second sister, Robina Ann Davies, was born in 1897. Mervyn attended Lloyd Street School. In 1901, the family lived at 2 Eden Cottages, Back Mostyn Street, Llandudno; David Davies was a joiner/carpenter. Ten years later, Mervyn was a grocer’s assistant, working for J E Davies of Somerset Street.

Mervyn Davies’ service record no longer exists but Soldiers Died in the Great War shows that he enlisted at Llandudno into the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and that his service number was 61350. Soldiers with close service numbers were enlisted at the end of 1915 and joined the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion RWF at Litherland for training. After disembarking in France, sometime in 1916, he spent some time at an infantry base depot before being posted to the 2nd Battalion of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. The 2nd Battalion RWF was an infantry battalion of the pre-war Regular Army and had landed in France in August 1914.

Mervyn Davies was killed in action on 28 November 1917 aged 22 during operations subsequent to the Second Battle of Passchendaele. The war diary for the battalion records that it was still in the front line and that shelling continued in bursts. In the period from 24 November to 1 December 1917, the casualties included 49 killed. Mervyn Davies was buried on the south west edge of the village of Passchendaele but was reinterred at Tyne Cot Cemetery in 1919, his identity being confirmed by his identity disk.

 

Robert Edward Davies

  • 33291, Private, 16th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 31 July 1917, aged 19
  • Buried at Dragoon Camp Cemetery, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)

Robert Edward Davies was born on 11 February 1898 in Llandudno. He was the son of a limestone quarryman Robert Davies and his wife Alice Ann Davies (née Owen). In 1901, the family lived at 11 Craig-y-Don Parade. Ten years later, the family lived at “Spring Field”, Conway Road, Llandudno – Robert (senior) worked as a dustman for the Llandudno Urban District Council and Robert Edward Davies was at school.

On 14 August 1915, Robert Edward volunteered to join Royal Welsh Fusiliers. He gave his address as “House over [Mr William] Wilkes Greens’ Shop”, Mostyn Avenue, Llandudno and his trade as a tailor. He claimed that he was aged 19 years and one month though he was actually 17 years and six months. The minimum age to join up was 18 though a soldier had to be 19 before being sent overseas. With a regimental number of 33291, he joined at St. Asaph and served initially with the 20th (Reserve) Battalion being posted to the 14th (Service) Battalion on 11 October 1915, then in Winchester. A month later, he was posted back to the 20th RWF, having been discovered as underage but he remained in the army because he was over the age of 17. On 18 April 1916, still aged 18 and underage for overseas service, Robert Edward was posted to France and joined 38 Infantry Base Depot at Étaples two days later. He joined the 16th (Service) Battalion RWF on 7 May 1916. The battalion had formed at Llandudno in November 1914 and landed in France in December 1915. Robert spent a little time in hospital at 37 Field Ambulance in July 1916. He joined 5 Infantry Base Depot at Rouen on 9 September 1916 because the authorities became aware that he was still underage – his actual date of birth was annotated in his service record at the time. He took leave in the UK from 14 to 20 November 1916 and rejoined the 16th RWF on 24 February 1917, 13 days after his 19th birthday.

Robert Edward Davies was killed in action on 31 July 1917 aged 19. This was the day when the 38th (Welsh) Division was engaged in the Battle of Pilckem Ridge, a phase of the Third Battle of Ypres otherwise known as Passchendaele. He was buried at Dragoon Camp Cemetery, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium.

 

Robert Victor Davies

  • 56806, Private, 15th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 31 July 1917, aged 20
  • No known grave (Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium)
  • CWGC registered (Only son of Robert Samuel and Mary Grace Davies, of Pretty, Amlwch, Anglesey. Native of Llandudno)

Robert Victor Davies, the son of Robert Samuel Davies and his wife Mary Grace Davies (née Pritchard), was born in Llandudno on 9 June 1897. In 1901, the family lived at 10 Clonmel Street – Robert Samuel Davies was employed as a printer’s compositor. Robert Victor Davies attended Lloyd Street School and transferred to the new Dyffryn Road School in 1905. Robert Samuel died in 1908 and in  1911 the family lived at 29 Alexandra Road, Llandudno. Robert Victor left school in June 1911.

Aged 18, Robert Davies enlisted into the Welsh Horse Yeomanry, (Territorial Force), in November 1915. He was given the regimental number of 1466. The regiment had been formed in 1914 and its first line battalion, the 1/1st had been dismounted (converted to infantry) and sailed for Gallipoli in September 1915. Robert’ was posted to the 3/1st Battalion at Newtown. The 3/1st Welsh Horse was a training formation but in April 1916, a draft of 160 NCOs and men (including Robert Davies and Sidney Albert Edwards [qv]) was sent to Ireland to reinforce the 6th Cavalry Reserve Regiment and help put down the Easter Rising in Dublin.

The Military Service Act of 1916 deemed that soldiers in the second and third line battalions of the Territorial Force as eligible for overseas service. Since the concept of yeomanry cavalry had become archaic by this date, the Welsh Horse was run down and suitable soldiers in its reserve battalions were sent overseas to reinforce infantry battalions. In August 1916, Robert Victor Davies arrived in France still maintaining his Welsh Horse regimental number. He was posted to the 15th (Service) Battalion of the Royal Welch Fusiliers with a new service number of 56806. The 15th RWF, also known as the 1st London Welsh, had formed in London in October 1914, becoming part of the 38th (Welsh) Division at Llandudno before landing in France in December 1915.

Robert Victor Davies was killed in action on 31 July 1917 aged 20. This was the day when the 38th (Welsh) Division was engaged in the Battle of Pilckem Ridge, a phase of the Third Battle of Ypres otherwise known as Passchendaele. He has no known grave.

 

Trevor Arthur Manning Davies

  • Lieutenant, Royal Field Artillery (Territorial Force) attached 1/5th Sherwood Foresters
  • Killed in action, 1 July 1916, aged 23
  • Buried at Gommecourt British Cemetery No 2, Hebuterne, France
  • CWGC registered (Son of Arthur Manning Davies and Ada Rose Davies, of “Hafod”, Llandudno, Caernarvonshire)
  • Not a local casualty

Trevor Arthur Manning Davies was born in Walsall, on 6 April 1893. He was the son of Arthur Manning Davies and his wife Ada Rose (née Jennings) and had a younger brother Horace. In 1901, the family lived at Handsworth in Staffordshire, Arthur Davies being a colliery agents’ manager. In 1908, Arthur Davies established a wholesale coal business. Trevor attended King Edward’s School in Birmingham and then Clifton College, Bristol (1909-1912). He was later senior classical scholar at Corpus Christie College Cambridge and a member of the Officers’ Training Corps.

On 29 August 1914, Trevor Davies was gazetted as a second lieutenant in the 4th North Midland (Howitzer) Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, (Territorial Force), part of the North Midland Division (later 46th) and the first Territorial Force division to arrive in France, serving initially in the Ypres salient. Trevor disembarked on 24 February 1915. He was killed in action aged 23 on 1 July 1916 on the first day of the Battle of the Somme having been attached to the 1/5th Sherwood Foresters as a liaison officer between the artillery and infantry for a diversionary attack on Gommecourt. He was initially buried in Gommecourt No 1 Cemetery when the battlefield was cleared and reinterred in the extended No 2 Cemetery after the war.

NOTE

Electoral rolls for Edgbaston give a little information as to the Davies’ association with Llandudno: in 1920, their abode was given as “Llys-Helyg”, Abbey Road, Llandudno; and in 1922 and 1925 as “Hafod”, Church Walks, Llandudno – the same address as recorded by the War Graves’ Commission. The family confirms that the Davies’ may have moved too late to the town to have their son entered in the town’s Roll of Honour or on the Cenotaph but were able to have his name put onto the tablets in the Memorial Chapel of Holy Trinity Church which was constructed in 1924. Two large wooden candlesticks, still in use, were presented in Trevor’s memory to Holy Trinity Church.

 

William Davies (NF) (Will Denbigh)

  • 44946, Private, 1/5th Northumberland Fusiliers (Territorial Force)
  • Died of wounds, 27 October 1917, aged 20
  • Buried at Solferino Farm Cemetery, Belgium
  • CWGC registered (Son of William and Joanna Davies, of 57 Beverley Rd, New Ferry, Birkenhead)
  • Brother of Daniel Davies

William Davies, the son of a coal miner, William Davies and his wife Joanna Davies (née Jones) was born at Llandudno on 19 September 1897. By 1901, the family was living at 14 Penygelli Road, Bersham, Denbighshire, William having five siblings including Daniel Davies (qv). In August 1903, William was registered at Lenten Pool National School, Denbigh with a home address of 145 Henllan Street, Denbigh. He left school “for Llandudno” in June 1905 where he attended St. George’s National School and St. Bueno’s School. In 1911, the family lived at 5 Bryn-y-Gwynt Terrace, Great Orme, Llandudno, William (senior) being a labourer and his wife Joanna being a certified midwife. William left school in July 1911 and later lived at 3 Wyddfyd Road.

William Davies enlisted at Caernarvon. His first known regimental number was 161 in the 53rd (or 1/1st) Welsh Divisional Cyclist Company. This number was issued in May 1915 and some soldiers with close numbers had previously served in the Cheshire Regiment since around November 1914. The company was attached to the 53rd (Welsh) Division, (Territorial Force), and sailed to Gallipoli on 16 July 1915, disembarking on 10 August 1915. He was about 13 months underage. On a date unknown, William returned to the UK, being posted to the Training Centre of the Army Cyclist Corps at Chiseldon with a Regular Army number of 15069 – perhaps his age had  been discovered. At Chiseldon, he joined up with other Llandudno cyclists including (all qv): Donald Evans (ex 3/1st WDCC), David Hobson (ex 3/1st WDCC, posted to Chiseldon on 1 November 1916), Robert Roberts and William Glyndwr Owen (Penrhynside). All were compulsorily transferred to the Northumberland Fusiliers and disembarked in France on 11 December 1916. William Davies’ new regimental number was 44946 and he was posted from the infantry base depot to the 19th (Service) Battalion (2nd Tyneside Pioneers) with the others named, joining the battalion on 15 December 1916. At the beginning of October 1917, the 1/5th Northumberland Fusiliers (Territorial Force) was understrength and it received over 250 reinforcements, many from the 19th NF including William Davies, Donald Evans, Robert Roberts and William Glyndwr Owen who were posted on 11 October 1917.

On 26 October 1917, the 1/5th NF took part in a disastrous diversionary attack during the Second Battle of Passchendaele. Robert Roberts was killed in action on that day and both William Davies and Donald Evans were wounded. William Glyndwr Owen was listed as missing. William Davies died of his wounds on 27 October 1917, aged 20 and was buried at Solferino Farm Cemetery, near Ypres.

NOTE

This soldier has been particularly difficult to identify. There are two soldiers of that name on the Llandudno memorials. The Roll of Honour records that one was a private in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers and he is readily identified as William Davies (RWF 26208) (next page). The roll records that the other was in the Royal Garrison Artillery whilst the War Memorial names him as “Will (Denbigh) Davies (assuming the same man). Both hints drew a blank. It was eventually discovered that Daniel Davies of the RGA had a brother William and that the family had lived in Denbigh between 1903 and 1906. This might explain the confusion.

 

William Davies (RWF 26208)

  • 26208, Private, 2nd Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Died of wounds, 3 August 1917, aged 25
  • Buried at Étaples Military Cemetery, France
  • CWGC registered
  • Brother of David Davies

William Davies, the son of William and Ellenor Davies, was born in Llandudno on 29 July 1892. In 1901, William (junior) lived with his parents, two brothers including David (qv) and a stepsister at 2 Bay View Terrace, Llandudno; his father was a general labourer. William attended St. George’s National School which he left in July 1906. In 1911, the family lived at 13 Alexandra Road, both Williams were employed as carters working for a cab proprietor.

On 4 June 1915, William volunteered to join the Royal Welsh Fusiliers at Llandudno. He was given the service number of 26208 and allocated to the 17th (Service) Battalion which he joined two days later. On 27 November 1915, William was posted to the 20th (Reserve) battalion and deserted the following day from the Morfa Camp at Conway. He was apprehended by the civil police at Llandudno on 21 January 1916. A district court martial sentenced him to nine months detention though he rejoined the 20th RWF on 5 July 1916 and returned to duty a month later.

William disembarked at Rouen on 20 August 1916 and joined 5 Infantry Base Depot the same day. He was slated to join the 14th (Service) Battalion but was posted to the 1st Battalion on 2 September 1916 and joined it the following day. On 9 January 1917, he received a gunshot wound to the left forearm and was evacuated by No 11 Casualty Clearing Station and No 21 Ambulance Train to 4 General Hospital at Dannes Carnier and then to Fulham Military Hospital where he was admitted on 22 January 1917. Once declared fit for active service, he embarked at Southampton on 18 March 1917 and joined 5 Infantry Base Depot at Rouen the following day. He joined the 2nd Battalion RWF on 3 May 1917 only to receive multiple gunshot wounds on 27 May 1917 during an attack on the German lines near Arras. He was evacuated by 101 Field Ambulance and 20 Casualty Clearing Station to 26 General Hospital at Étaples. William Davies died of his wounds on 3 August 1917 aged 25. He was buried at Étaples Military Cemetery.

 

William Davies (RWF 37176)

  • 37176, Lance Corporal, 16th Royal Welsh Fusiliers
  • Killed in action, 22 April 1918, aged 21
  • Buried at Bouzincourt Ridge Cemetery, France
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)
  • Deganwy casualty

William Davies, the son of Cornelius Davies, a bricklayer, and his wife Mary Davies (née Evans) was born at Rhos-on-Sea in October 1896. In 1901, the family lived at “Bryn Hyfryd”, Llanrhos, the home of William’s maternal grandfather. William attended Deganwy National School and Llandudno Junction School, transferring to the latter in July 1907. In 1911 the family lived at the same address though it was then designated as in Deganwy. William had been joined by a younger brother, Evan Oliver Davies. William was not in employment when the census was taken though by 1914 he was employed as a carter.

William Davies joined the Royal Welsh Fusiliers on 25 November 1915 at Conwy. With a regimental number of 37176, his first posting was to the 20th (Reserve) Battalion at Kinmel Park. He was then posted to the BEF in France on 18 April 1916, joining 38 Infantry Base Depot at Étaples on 20 April. He was posted to the 16th RWF on 7 May. The 16th (Service) Battalion had formed at Llandudno in November 1914 and had been in France since December 1915. On 11 June 1916, William received a gunshot wound to his right arm during the action at Mametz Wood which was treated at No 2 Canadian General Hospital at Le Tréport. He rejoined his unit on 10 September 1916. In August 1917, William attended Divisional School after which he spent 10 days leave in the UK. He was appointed lance corporal on 8 October 1917.

On 21 March 1918, the German Army launched Operation Michael, the first phase of its Spring Offensive. Near Albert, the Germans captured high ground near Bouzincourt, and the 38th (Welsh) Division, which included the 16th RWF was ordered to recapture the high ground. The attack took place on 22 April. Though the attack was partially successful, it was extremely costly. The war diary of the 16th RWF records that it strength at the beginning of the attack was 14 officers and 450 other ranks; it came out with five officers and 225 other ranks. One of the casualties was William Davies who was originally reported as wounded and missing. Later, this was officially changed to “killed in action or died of wounds on or shortly after 22 April 1918.” Aged 21, William Davies was buried at Bouzincourt Ridge Cemetery.

 

William Henry Davies

  • G/19867, Private, 10th Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)
  • Killed in action, 23 March 1918, aged 22
  • No known grave (Arras Memorial, France)
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)
  • Llandudno casualty
    • Not on Llandudno’s Roll of Honour
    • Not on main Llandudno War Memorial but on supplementary plaque (see note)
    • Not in Memorial Chapel of Holy Trinity Church

William Henry Davies was born at Llandudno on 5 March 1896, the son of William Davies and Catherine Davies (née Owen). In 1901, the family lived at “Ryeford”, Carlton Street, Llandudno; William (senior) was a road constructor. William attended Lloyd Street School and in September 1907 he was transferred to John Bright County School. In 1911, the family lived at “Bryn y Mynan”, Glan Conway and William (senior) was described as a farmer.

William Henry Davies attested on 28 December 1915 at Llandudno, probably under the Derby Scheme, the last gasp of volunteering before conscription was introduced the following year. He gave his occupation as a farmer. He volunteered to join the army straight away. and his attestation was approved on 3 January 1916 at Waterford in Ireland, being appointed to the Lancers of the Line. The following day he was posted to the 7th Reserve Cavalry Regiment. On 15 June 1916, William was posted to No 1 Service Squadron of the 21st Lancers (Empress of India’s) – his service number was 4978. This regiment was based in India but a service squadron affiliated to it was formed in 1916 becoming a squadron of the XIV Corps Cavalry Regiment in France. William served with the Lancers in France from June 1916 but in August 1917, his squadron was disbanded and its troops were absorbed into existing infantry battalions – William Davies was transferred  to the 10th (Service) Battalion of the Royal West Kent Regiment on 14 September 1917 with a new number of G/19867. On 23 November 1917, William Henry Davies reported sick with inflammation of the connective tissue in his feet. He was moved by the 139th Field Ambulance to the 41st Divisional Rest Station.

On 21 March 1918, the Germans began Operation Michael, attacking in strength between Arras and St. Quentin. The 10th RWK, in GHQ Reserve, was ordered to proceed to Aichet le Grand. The following day, the battalion moved forward to Fremicourt and that night, it moved forward to relieve units in the front line immediately west of Morchies. At about noon on 23 March, the battalion with a fighting strength of 580 other ranks, was attacked by an estimated 700 Germans. In the ensuing battle, 14 other ranks were killed, 31 were wounded, 15 were wounded & missing and 391 were missing. William Henry Davies was amongst the missing. William’s father made enquiries to the Red Cross to determine if his son was a prisoner of war but without success. William’s death was assumed as 23 March 1918. He was aged 22.

The authorities, unable to contact his next of kin at Glan Conway, entered a note in William Davies’ record dated August 1918 stating that his father then had two addresses: “Bodafon Farm”, and “Ryeford”, Carlton Street (where the family had resided in 1901).

NOTES

  1. William Henry Davies does not appear on the Ysgol John Bright Roll of Honour.
  2. He was not originally commemorated on any of the Llandudno memorials, the Llanrhos Memorial or the Glan Conwy Memorial. However, his name is on a plaque placed in the Llandudno War Memorial Gardens in 2019.

 

George Le Blanch De Wolf

  • Lieutenant, 3rd Royal Sussex Regiment, attached 9th
  • Killed in action, 14 February 1916, aged 35
  • Buried at Menin Road South Cemetery, Belgium
  • CWGC registered (Son of  William Henry and Constance De Wolf, of Oxton, Cheshire)
    • Not a local casualty
    • Named in St. Paul’s Church, Craig-y-Don
    • Named on Llanrhos (Parish) War Memorial

George Le Blanch De Wolf was born at Birkenhead on 6 March 1880. His father was William Henry De Wolf whose family were Liverpool merchants and shipowners. His mother was Constantia Theresa Elizabeth De Wolf (née Le Blanch) whose father was also a merchant and shipowner. George’s mother died shortly after he was born and the Census for 1881 records William Henry De Wolf and his three sons, Henry Louis, John Spencer and George Le Blanch staying with his late wife’s parents at Erskine House, Colwyn Bay. Also at the address were six servants including two nurses. A sister to the boys, Constance Annie had been born in 1875 but she did not survive infancy. In 1891,  both George and his older brother John were boarders at a school in Folkestone, Kent. George De Wolf became a metallurgist and, from 1908 to 1914, sailed at least six times to Africa. The 1911 Census recorded him staying with an aunt and uncle in Arundel.

On 12 April 1914, George disembarked at Liverpool having sailed back from the Gold Coast (Ghana). The circumstances of how George joined the army are obscure. The London Gazette records that he was commissioned as a temporary second lieutenant on 6 May 1915. On 14 October 1915 he was promoted to temporary lieutenant, his battalion being the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion of the Royal Sussex Regiment. On 13 November, he was attached to the 9th (Service) Battalion which had been in France from the beginning of September. On 14 February 1916, the 9th RSR was in the front line near Ypres when the Germans exploded two mines under their trenches. Although the subsequent attack by the Germans was repulsed, George De Wolf was one of two officers who were killed, the other being Second Lieutenant Charles Hill. George was aged 35. George De Wolf, Charles Hill and Second Lieutenant Charles Tisdall (who had been killed a day earlier) are named on a single headstone in Menin South Cemetery, due to burials being disturbed by enemy shelling.

Apart from being recorded at Colwyn Bay in 1881 as an infant, there is no evidence that George De Wolf ever visited Llanrhos or Craig-y-Don where he is commemorated. His last recorded address was “Heyfield”, Little Sutton, Cheshire. In 1911, “Heyfield” was the home of his aunt, Florence Marsden (née De Wolf) and her husband George Ellis Marsden. Amongst the Marsden’s children were Arthur Ellis Marsden and Edith Marsden. Arthur Ellis Marston, George De Wolf’s first cousin, was an insurance clerk and he was the executor of George’s will. Unlike non-commissioned ranks, the medals of officers had to be applied for. George De Wolf’s next of kin was his brother John Spencer De Wolf who had settled in Shanghai after the war and George’s medals were applied for in October 1919 by his cousin, Edith Marsden, the sister of his executor whose address was recorded as “Arbory”, Roumania Crescent, Craig-y-Don, Llandudno.

 

GJ Downes (Israel G Downs MM)

  • 22507, Private, 15th Royal Welsh Fusiliers, Military Medal
  • Died of wounds, 13 May 1916, aged 22
  • Buried at Merville Communal Cemetery, France
  • CWGC registered (Son of Richard and Rebecca Downs, of 2 Parliament St, Bilston, Staffs)

Israel George Downs (or Downes), the son of Richard Downs and Rebecca Downs (formerly Judson, née Bradley) was born at Bilston, Staffordshire on 1 August 1893. Richard Downs was an ironworker and Israel was a pupil at St. Leonard’s Church of England (Controlled) School from 1897. In 1911, the family lived at 4 Crown Street, Bilston, Israel being employed as a potman and waiter in a public house. He moved to Llandudno and by the outbreak of war was working for the Silver Motor Company of Llandudno and boarded at the Risboro, Clement Avenue. At Llandudno he was known as George Downes.

Israel Downs volunteered to join the Royal Welsh Fusiliers at Llandudno at the end of 1914. He was posted to the 15th (Service) Battalion (1st London Welsh) with a regimental number of 22507. The 15th RWF had formed in London on 20 October 1914 and came under the orders of the 43rd Division at Llandudno which, in April 1915, became the 38th (Welsh) Division. After initial training at Llandudno, the division moved to Winchester in August 1915. Israel Downs disembarked in France on 3 December 1915. On the night of 7/8 May 1916, Israel Downs was wounded whilst raiding enemy trenches near Fauquissart. He was evacuated to a casualty clearing station at Merville but succumbed to his wounds on 13 May 1916 aged 22. He was buried at Merville Communal Cemetery. For his heroism during the raid, Israel Downs was posthumously awarded the Military Medal.

 

Bernard Dunphy

  • Lieutenant, Royal Naval Reserve, HMS Bayano
  • Killed or died as a direct result of enemy action, 11 March 1915, aged 33
  • Body not recovered for burial (Portsmouth Naval Memorial)
  • CWGC registered (no family details noted)

Bernard Dunphy was born at Llandudno on 29 December 1881. His father Stephen came from Dundalk in Ireland. His mother Catherine (née Phillips) was born in Llandudno. Stephen Dunphy was a prominent local grocer and baker, trading as “Central Stores”. The family lived at “Temple House”, Mostyn Street. In November 1887, Bernard was admitted to St. George’s National School, later training as a cadet on the training ship HMS Conway from October 1897 to December 1899, then berthed at Liverpool. His first appointment after receiving his Extra Certificate was on the Halewood owned by R W Leyland & Company. Later, he was employed by the Cunard Steamship Company, sailing as a junior officer on various ships including Carmania, Franconia, Ivernia, and Saxonia. He lived at 41 Bank Road, Bootle. He was also an officer in the Royal Naval Reserve; The Navy List for February 1900 records him as being a midshipman in the RNR with seniority of 28 December 1899. He was gazetted as a second lieutenant in 1907 and promoted to lieutenant in 1909.

Bernard Dunphy married Edna Mary Potts at St. George’s Church, Llandudno in 1912 and the couple lived at 16 Glenwyllin Road, Waterloo, Liverpool. At the outbreak of war he was the third officer on the Mauritania. In the meantime, his father had died (17 January 1906) and his mother thereafter lived at “Bron Haul”, Church Walks, Llandudno.

Bernard Dunphy was killed on 11 March 1915 when his ship, HMS Bayano, an Elders and Fyffes Line banana-boat converted to an armed merchant cruiser, was sunk by a torpedo fired by the German submarine U-27 off the Galloway coast of Scotland. He was 33 years of age.

Bernard Dunphy’s body was never recovered and he is remembered on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial. It would appear that the Dunphy’s had no children; Emma Dunphy died in Devonshire in 1968.

Comments are closed.