Holy Trinity is a fine example of a Victorian church built in a style prevalent in the 13th century, finished on the exterior with local limestone and lined with polychromatic brickwork, with Bath and Caen stone dressings.
A tour of the church will allow the beauty of the stained glass windows and the intricacies of the carvings to be appreciated. The following sections indicate some of the items of interest and if you are able to visit the church in person we hope that you will also have time to sit and appreciate the peace, away from the bustle of the town. The Mustard Seed shop has a book on the history of the church and a booklet of reflections on Bible stories depicted in the church.
The nave is the main body of the church, where the congregation sits during services. The roof is open timbered and the columns are of polished Anglesey marble. The capitals of the columns are delicately carved, with designs including flowers, fruit, birds and the symbols of the four Gospel writers, while carvings on the roof strut supports include angels.
At the back of the nave is the Pebble Pool, where a pebble may be placed in a small pool of water, as a symbol of a prayer written in an accompanying book.
Wood carvings in the nave include two Thompson Mice and the unique Angel. The famous woodworker, Robert Thompson, always carved a tiny mouse as his signature and these can be found on the choir vestry door and the screen, both in the south aisle. The Angel was carved in the 1970s by Handel Edwards (1924-2011) from South Wales and within the Angel’s outspread wings are are carved scenes and miracles from the life of Christ.
The Chancel and Sanctuary
The chancel houses the choir stalls and organ, while within the sanctuary is the High Altar, where the bread and wine are prepared in celebration of the Holy Eucharist. There are many beautiful wooden carvings in this area, including angels on the ends of the choir stalls and the very detailed reredos behind the High Altar.
The organ is a three manual instrument with more than 2,500 pipes. It was originally built in the late 19th century by William Hill. It was rebuilt in 1926 by Rushworth and Dreaper of Liverpool and apart from some tonal modifications and solid state console additions it remains much the same as it was then and is still considered to be one of the finest instruments in North Wales.
The Memorial Chapel
The Memorial Chapel, to the north of the chancel, was built in 1924 to commemorate the men of Llandudno who died in the First World War, as detailed in The Great War Project.
Hanging in the Memorial Chapel are banners of various Welsh regiments and service associations, which have been laid up there.
The Memorial Chapel is used for services when fewer people are expected, such as the 8.00 am Eucharist on Sundays.
At the entrance to the chapel is a votive candle stand, which is available at service times for anyone who would like to light a candle when they say a prayer.
Christ the King Chapel
This is in the north transept, just outside the Memorial Chapel and below the glorious Christ in Majesty window. Morning and Evening Prayer are said here and prayers from the Pebble Pool are offered at the altar.
The stained glass windows include a series of scenes from the childhood of Christ (in the Sanctuary), the baptism of Jesus by John the Baptist (in the Baptistry), Martha and Mary (in the south aisle), Christ in Majesty (in Christ the King Chapel), The Annunciation (the west window) and some of the Welsh saints, including St. Tudno, (in the Memorial Chapel).
Children and adults are baptised (or Christened) at the font here. This is close to the entrance to the church as a sign that baptism welcomes people into the church.
This is at the front of the church, in the north aisle. There are books, toys and drawing materials for young children to use, while they and their parents are still part of the service.
A brief history of the church can be found here.
A detailed history of the church is given in the book Holy Trinity Church, Llandudno: A Victorian Vision by John Horsfield, available from the Mustard Seed shop.
These are examples of some of the carvings to be found in Holy Trinity. Click on a photograph for a larger image.
|Carvings in stone|
|Carvings in wood|